Help Us Find 420-Friendly Names For Inappropriate Strains

We have a problem at 420 Magazine with cannabis strains named after hard drugs, dangerous chemicals and/or children's activities. We feel that these names harm our mission to bring cannabis awareness to the world. Cannabis is a medicinal plant and the more it is seen as such, the more success we are having in the struggle for legalization.
Please put on your thinking caps and help us find 420-friendly names for all your favorite strains :high-five:

Comparing strains to hard drugs takes away from the fact that this is a plant, not a drug. Naming them after children's activities is not in line with our policies concerning maturity and content.

We wish breeders would honor history and choose to not name their strains in a way that re-associates our harmless plant with dangerous or harmful drugs. However, there is nothing we can do about that; we can however do our part by not helping promote the hard drug names of these strains on our site, and only use their alternate names instead.

We have a few suggestions, but would also like your feedback and ideas for appropriate strain names that reflect the origins without connecting the strain with undesirable substances.

Here are some strain origin stories and alternative names:

The true story of GirlScoutCookies. G.S.C. is C.P.K.
I only know of six people who KNOW the real story. Me, my wife, the two drivers, Berner and Jigga.
St. George (not his real name) is a killer breeder north of Laytonville. He crossed Cherry Pie with Chemdawg and called it CherryPieKush. It had a couple phenos, I settled on what is known as cookies. He gave it too a few of us and asked us not to call it Cherry Pie Kush yet because it was not stable and threw a few seeds. When the driver reached Berners he asked Berner to not call it CPK, Berner was eating actual girl scout cookies when it arrived and said it tasted like girl scout cookies. The day it showed up he named it and marketed it as girlscoutcookies. If you can find it in youtube comments you will see that when I quized Jigga he admits (We call that pre-cookies). Im sure they have front crossed it.
But as far as them saying that they created the strain, thats bull. They need to give at least Chemdawg his credit even if St. George wants to remain silent. Early in life it smells like lemon pledge (thin mints?) but if you wait till it is ready the smell changes to the cherry pie smell"
How about "Cherrypie Kush"?

Green Crack was an '89 SSSC skunk#1 crossed with an unknown indica in athens ohio in about 1990. It was indeed made by cecilC. Cecil is the kind of guy who would'nt want to take credit for making it as it was just a random cross. The part about MrGreenBeans was pretty acurrate. Only mrgreenbeans was'nt living anywhere near georgia. He had people that were bringing him pounds of Green Crack aka Cush and he loved it and wanted to grow it. He kept trying to get clones from these guys and they would always say no.

Eventually for the price of $2,500 he was able to get a clone of it. Those georgia guys, mrgreenbeans and CecilC all call it Cush with a C not to be confused with Kush. I think when mrgreenbeans got the clone it was around 94.

Cecils old friends that had the Cush still he stopped talking to for reasons and was'nt in that area anymore. Another old user some of you may remember named Bunz had this plant out in southern cali that was not named but he was selling herb to snoop dog if you believe the story(but bunz was'nt one to make shit up), was selling herb to snoop dog and snoop named it green crack. Years later, I met mrgreenbeans on a canadian IRC chat client and invited him to come chat at truestoners. He did and he and cecil kicked it off and the three of us met up and exchanged clones. At the same time or rather right before then, cecil got Bunz to send him clones of green crack and a few others and the green crack and the Cush are identical.
How about "Green Cush"?

Opium - from the breeder's site:
This bittersweet hybrid ... – some of the biggest buds ever seen. One experienced medical grower respectfully calls Opium “the totem”...
Can we call it "The Totem"?

Herijuana Is Killer New Haven (a mix of the best Kentucky outdoor phenotypes) x Petrolia Headstash.
Petrolia Headstash is a highly coveted true breeding strain from Humboldt County, a pre-Soviet import from Aghanistan inbred by oldtimers for over two decades. Pungent, rock hard nugs that hit hard, producing a strong body buzz that lasts for hours. High THC , hardy outdoor strain, makes great old school Afghani hash .
How about "New Haven Headstash"? or "Kentucky Hashplant"?
Instead of "8 Ball Kush", how about "6 Ball Kush"? At least that ball is green :yummy:

Can we all agree on "Lucy" instead of the famous psychedelic chemical?

and "Vietnam" rather than the name of a horrible chemical that has inflicted so much pain and suffering?

To recap, here are the strains we want to rename:

GirlScoutCookies: Referencing a children's group
Green Crack: Referencing a hard drug
Herijuana: Referencing a hard drug
8 Ball Kush: Referencing a hard drug
Opium: Referencing a hard drug
LSD: Referencing a hard drug
Agent Orange: Referencing a chemical used in the Vietnam war that killed/maimed 400,000 people and 500,000 children were born with birth defects as a result.

:Namaste:

Great idea and I fully support this. I've always thought some of the names out there are ridiuclous and sometimes offensive. I think it'd fun to use words from pop culture with peaceful vibes and descriptive words based on flavors, growth or origin. Registered trademarks aside
For example:
Budzilla
MJKush (Could be Michael Jordan Kush, Michael Jackson Kush)
Spicy Kush
Afghan Earth
Unity Berry
Freedom on a stick
Dark Crystal
Betazoid intuition
Noble nugz
Citrus Berrylicious

Cannabis sativa aurea ricolii......."ricos gold"....that is how botanist name plants....in my limited experience. One of my goals is to shed the "hippy grower" persona, and to put on a more appropriate garment of awareness and education to show the mainstream that we are not a community of "stoners" so to speak. We are pioneers.........here to "REDISCOVER" what has been known for millenia!

We need to do everything possible to highlight the geographic area of breeding or physical appearance or history of the plant or finished product and steer away from all effect references. If we don't separate the plant we love from the focus on the effects all we are doing is making our efforts to normalize, that much more difficult. You don't see alcohol manufacturers calling there products Milehigh Head Buzz or Double Vision Driving School or Fall Down and Puke on Yourself or even the ever popular, How Did I Get Here and Who are You in My Bed?! They call it Jack Daniels or Makers Mark or Smokey Mountain Moonshine or Patron. we need to take more lessons form wine producers in naming products.

We need to do everything possible to highlight the geographic area of breeding or physical appearance or history of the plant or finished product and steer away from all effect references. If we don't separate the plant we love from the focus on the effects all we are doing is making our efforts to normalize, that much more difficult. You don't see alcohol manufacturers calling there products Milehigh Head Buzz or Double Vision Driving School or Fall Down and Puke on Yourself or even the ever popular, How Did I Get Here and Who are You in My Bed?! They call it Jack Daniels or Makers Mark or Smokey Mountain Moonshine or Patron. we need to take more lessons form wine producers in naming products.

Most excellent post mr holla!

McLoadie I am so with you on this. When the nations news services were flocking to Colorado on the first day of Recpot sales they had lines full of people to interview. But they didn't talk to the guy there in the suit getting some smoke for after work or the typical lady standing in line after she got out of the office. Nooooo.... every station talked to some tie dye wearing kid who drove 1000 miles from Ohio so he could "get a buzz legally Man". Really irked me off. I constantly hear gays "coming out of the closet" Really? I don't care I'm heterosexual I don't make a news story out of it. But there are millions upon millions of closet pot smokers out there who are normal everyday working Americans. You would never know it by looking at them. You would never know it by working with them. You would never know that they are sitting next to you in the pew at church. But they are there. Trust me I have nothing against hippies...hell back in the 70's I had a little boy in line at a grocery ask his mom if I was a boy of or a girl because of my hair ( OK maybe the skirtand heels I had on kind of threw him too!!) I figured I had better get that one in before I just left it on the tee for one of you other jokers to knock off!! Heck I followed the Dead for a summer and that was when a dead concert was a happening.Not like in the 90's when it was an occasion for alot of nuevo wanna be's. But we have to continue to work to mainstream our product or we are just making the ultimate goal harder.
Ok....that knocking sound you just heard was me getting off of my soapbox!

We will see how quickly cannabis grows up, when we are children we play with balls and toys, we are at a place in time in which a world....not a state or country is saying; " we are seeing in our own eyes and able to make our own estimations as to what benefit this plant may hold for mankind ". On the other hand much simpler concepts; " I just like to use it ", both, very valid............and a representation of freedom, power in numbers, and one of the benefits of the information age. I believe that there will always be a variety of opinions and ideas as to what an individual perceives to be the benefit of the plant, but when one looks at it simply for what we KNOW it is...well.......it's a wonderful thing...to say the least!

I like the oldschool local word for marijuana
pakalolo cannabis works too
reminds me of an old local song, who is the lolo who stole my pakalolo

Cannabis sativa aurea ricolii......."ricos gold"....that is how botanist name plants....in my limited experience. One of my goals is to shed the "hippy grower" persona, and to put on a more appropriate garment of awareness and education to show the mainstream that we are not a community of "stoners" so to speak. We are pioneers.........here to "REDISCOVER" what has been known for millenia!

Right On to McLoadie and uptheholler + reps for you both on your awesome perspectives! I agree totally. A scientific naming convention for all the strains would be fun. This is a great discussion and its awesome to know that others also strive to elevate awareness that Cannabis is not some evil drug. Little things like this can all add up to ease the negative tone and social stigma that still exists with this Sacred Herb.

Check out this video for your entertainment. This shows how people can have the complete wrong idea and duscussions like this may help to quiet these people down and give them less ammunition. Enjoy...
Former prosecutor, Nancy Grace, states "People on pot shoot, stab and strangle each other" - YouTube

I vote "Plumber's Dilemma" for Green Crack.

That's the imagery I get when I see that strain name... nothing about hard drugs. :laughtwo:

Not sure which one is worse!

Edit: Serious note, I'm thinking about it.

Excellent Dres, :thumb: that sounds exactly like what goes through what passes

for my mind when I see some of these names

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure :ciao:

Thanks for your contribution, The303Stoner.

The problem with :clown: as a strain name is the fact that it is an emoticon and not a word.

We need words in this war of information.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom