Prevent Nutrient burn in soil

Calyx Hunter

I prefer growing in soil because it's easy and produces more flavorful buds IMO. I've learned from my many mistakes over the years and I'd like to pass on a little trick I use. In between major waterings it is a good idea to let the soil almost completely dry. You can even push it til the plant starts to droop but I believe that causes some stress if allowed to droop too much. So here's my trick. You do not want to add nutrient rich water directly to dry soil. I recommend watering with pure filtered and distilled water until the soil is moist and then let it sit for an hour. Once completely soaked then you may proceed with watering with the nutrients. I use Fox Farms soil and nutrients. I start using nutrients after two weeks of using the soil and I start with a fraction of the recommended dosage per gallon. I slowly work up to about half strength of what they recommend. I feed the plants every other water as recommended by FF. About once a week I also flush so that a decent amount of water drains out and this water is tossed. Never try to reuse it. About once a month I do a heavy flush with only molasses at half recommended strength. May your gardens be lush and green and may your harvest be bountiful
Lush_n_green.JPG

:peace::green_heart:

Nice tip CH. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the tip Calyx Hunter and that is actually what i do when it comes to feeding, but the only difference with me is I water it a little bit the day before enough to moisten the soil and then the next day i feed them. I'm going to go with your method and just wait for an hour after initial watering to feed them.

I love this advice ! Whenever I nute, I've used a similar plan, the difference being I didn't wait the hour. Also, when the girls are in flower and their soil bed has some age to it, I water with a half/half method. The first half loosens built up salts, 2nd half helps wash some of them down. Just another special bennie of growing in soil. Everything a soil lover learns just adds to the joy. Thanks for this :thumb:

I am soon expecting to make some major transplants so the baby generation can grow up. I have reached a crossroads with Ocean Forest and need to mix it up and do something different. Even at 50/50 OF and Perlite, I'm concerned it's still too hot for (most) of the girls. The mottled white spots on the leaves drive me NUTS and as they grow I see more leaf necrosis than one should expect. This current generation in flower are not receiving any additional nutes at all, as an experiment with the (50/50) mix. I want to know how long it can last before deficiencies show up. I'm low on soil however, and the flowering girls won't finish before I need more for the baby generation that's busting to hit the next size up. I'm contemplating a mix of Happy Frog with Ocean Forest - I just feel OF is too hot, even for the older ladies.

Again :thanks:

I love this advice ! Whenever I nute, I've used a similar plan, the difference being I didn't wait the hour. Also, when the girls are in flower and their soil bed has some age to it, I water with a half/half method. The first half loosens built up salts, 2nd half helps wash some of them down. Just another special bennie of growing in soil. Everything a soil lover learns just adds to the joy. Thanks for this :thumb:

I am soon expecting to make some major transplants so the baby generation can grow up. I have reached a crossroads with Ocean Forest and need to mix it up and do something different. Even at 50/50 OF and Perlite, I'm concerned it's still too hot for (most) of the girls. The mottled white spots on the leaves drive me NUTS and as they grow I see more leaf necrosis than one should expect. This current generation in flower are not receiving any additional nutes at all, as an experiment with the (50/50) mix. I want to know how long it can last before deficiencies show up. I'm low on soil however, and the flowering girls won't finish before I need more for the baby generation that's busting to hit the next size up. I'm contemplating a mix of Happy Frog with Ocean Forest - I just feel OF is too hot, even for the older ladies.

Again :thanks:

Try pro-mix bx I'm using that now with some great results added some budswel and advance nutrients piranha and voila! I have never used FF ocean forest but i heard the happy frog is a little less rich in added ferts so you might want to go with that one

You're the 2nd person to recommend ProMix - about half the price of Fox Farms. DONE ! Next batch is a Pro batch. :)

I think you may have your prices transposed. ProMix is a bit more expensive everywhere I have looked. At growershouse.com
Pro-Mix BX is $42.67 for 3.8 cu ft which equals about $11.22 per cubic foot
Fox Farms Ocean Forest is $13.86 for 1.5 cu ft. which is about $9.24 per cubic foot

I've heard alot of people using ProMix successfully. I want to use it on my next grow and do a side by side with FFOF. I'm thinking of doing 1/2 my grow with ProMix and half with FFOF. I'll be doing seeds and I got two new Lemon Kush seeds I'd like to use ProMix on one and FFOF on the other.

When I recycled my soil mix recently I actually used Miracle Grow organic soil. Once I mixed in perlite, guano, alfalfa, greensand, dolomite, blood meal, oyster shell cooked it for a few weeks. It was as good as any.

Is mg soil a non- nut soil like peatmoss and just perlite? I use a canadian soil peatmoss and perlite called Lamberts 100 per cent organic.

It has a lot of perlite and you just to have to add a little to it. That is my base grow material as it cannot be called "soil " with no mineral in it. My professeor called dirt what is under your finger nails:thumb:

I think it just depends on the area you live in. I bought the same bale of pro mix bx 3.8 Cu ft and it was 25 bucks at my local home depot and im in canada

Have used "Sunshine Mix #4" successfully for 5 grows. Happy with results. Presently have 11 babies growing (seeds in soil 8-1-14), half in "Sunshine", half in "Dr. O`s Organic Growing Medium". Got Dr. O`s at the Cannabis Cup in Clio, Michigan. So far sunshine is shining bright. Check it out in the "Over 50 Club" for pictures.

PS,
Nutes used last grow was "Cogo`s" and molasses.
New soil not supposed to need any more nutes, period.

Back
Top Bottom