daylight hours

OnTheMove

hi evryone, i have a question that ive been trying to find an answer too for a while.. i want to find and online chart or a simple answer from someone about the daylight hours in switzerland, im growng outdoors, and would like to start floering 2 weeks early than nature because we get mist here and i want to be harvested before it comes.. any one has a clue at what dates the plants naturally flower in switzerland?!

:thumb:

Actually, for sun cycle, all you need is the calender. Right now, We're just past the summer Solstice, and sliding to the Fall Equinox. For 2014, the fall equinox is September 23, 2014, when day and night are 12 hours long. The only way to really make an outdoor grown plant flower and be ready early is to either get 100% light blocking material to cover it at 12 hours of sun, OR, bring it inside and artificially adjust your day/night cycle. Otherwise, you're really at the mercy of the sun and weather as to when the plant's going to be ready to rock and roll.

cool answer, so they begin to flower exactly on the solstice of just before? usually i make a bloom box, a light proof box to accomadate the plants with a removable lid to flower but i got a cellar rght by the plants so ill put 2 tents in the cellar and start them beginng of september :) then thats 3 weeks or so i must do 7 oclock dutys ..

thanks for the info srilania, are you into astrology atall? ive been learning about the moon and the signs, biologic gradening :) for instance today the moon went into an earth sign, which means its good to give nutes on these days

Not astrology, Astronomy. And no, Cannabis is a light dependant plant for when to flower. The Solstice is your longest day or night. With summer solstice, it is the longest day and shortest night. it won't be until close to the fall equinox, which is on September 23, that your day/night cycle will be to a point that your plants will want to really flower. You can fake this by going out in the afternoon, and throwing a light tight box over it till it's fully dark outside, when you can take the box back off for the night. For that, you can do that starting tomorrow. However, you need to make sure you do it the same exact time every day, otherwise, you're going to confuse the poor plant.

Because of this, it's usually better to bring them in, and finish them indoors when you need them done earlier, as a simple plugin timer for 3-5 bucks at Wal Mart gets you consistant control of when the light is running.

haha i dont think you read my post last properly, i had done many crops before with "bloom Boxes" thats what we call them :)

i might still be able to finish them with a light, ive had problems with lost money transactions so im waiting to get the cash back :( then i can get a light..

oh but i just remembered, i saw the plants here from my friends last year, around 20 something december and the plants already had buds well formed , this is why im mainly confused lol

Well, once you start in the flower cycle, it should only be about 3-6 weeks before harvest from an outdoor grow. This would be about Samhain, (Oct 31) or not long after, checking trichromes for how done the material is getting before harvest. But, if you start light boxing them now, or bring them inside for immediate 12-12 cycle, then the 3-6 week mark would be about the end of August/mid September.

Remember, if you cut the light to 12-12, the plant will start to flower and get ready, no matter what time of year it is.

** i ment september in the last post not december :)

can i ask what samhain is? like what culture is it from?

yeh i wanted to harvets around late september- so mid august i will start to flower them.. i dont know if you seen my journal yet, i have NO mostly sativa plants and they are seeds from last years plants and they were all finished in 5 weeks of slower, the chronic was the quickest, bonsai sativa was the longest (6weeks), last year it was harder to be there every day 7am and 7pm because i was haveing " a mad one" too much partying lol- but i got better results using the summer months to flower- thats obvious though :)

OK nature answered it for me .. in switzerland the begin of august the first plants will start to flower :)

That is not true about the plant needing 12 hours of dark to flower. Infact you would be hard pressed to find an outdoor plant that did not begin to flower way before the equinox.

Cannabis plants will vary strain by strain on their exact amount of darkness needed to gain enough auxins to flower. Typically indicas can start with less night then can sativas.

Once flowering begins basically all plants will stay in flower if they have 10 hours of darkness or more. But the amount a plant needs to begin flowering is usually more then that. indicas may start at just 10 or 10.5 dark while sativas will usually take an extra hour or so.

Keep in mind that many factors will keep your plant thinking its night even when it is not. if its on the west side of a building its morning will be delayed a bit as will a eastern sided plant will think its night a bit sooner then it really is and so on.

I often reference the solar calculator at timeanddate.com . A quick check shows they cover Switzerland.

ill check that out!

That is not true about the plant needing 12 hours of dark to flower. Infact you would be hard pressed to find an outdoor plant that did not begin to flower way before the equinox.

Cannabis plants will vary strain by strain on their exact amount of darkness needed to gain enough auxins to flower. Typically indicas can start with less night then can sativas.

Once flowering begins basically all plants will stay in flower if they have 10 hours of darkness or more. But the amount a plant needs to begin flowering is usually more then that. indicas may start at just 10 or 10.5 dark while sativas will usually take an extra hour or so.

Keep in mind that many factors will keep your plant thinking its night even when it is not. if its on the west side of a building its morning will be delayed a bit as will a eastern sided plant will think its night a bit sooner then it really is and so on.
nice info, it tops up on what i had learnt recently about outdoor flowering times.. basically i learnt that when a plant starts to get 1.5 hours more dark, then it begins to flower :) ve started to bloom mine since 3 days manually :)

Back
Top Bottom