Kush Sativa?

Psi Haze

Ok, we all have heard the names "Kush", like "OG Kush", "Cherry Kush", ect.. My question is, why are plants with sativa in them called "kush". Is it all in the name? Is it purposefully misleading in order to sale the product? Is it false advertising? ..I think Yes..

The name "Kush" comes from the Hindu Kush mountains between central Afghanistan and northern Pakistan. Now, let me ask you, when you think of Afghanistan and Pakistan, do you think sativa? Hell NO! Why? Because only indica's are the natural landrace cannabis plants of that region. The Hindu Kush mountains also boarder another mountain range called, "Caucasus Indicus".. sound familiar and does it sound anything like "sativa"? ..hehe, i think not..

..If you want sativa, think "Haze" and tropical and equitorial regions where sativas are considered landrace genetics and naturally grow.

As I was a youngster in Los Angeles about 20-25 years ago, we called ALL good weed "kush". Why, you ask? Because we were stupid kids and didnt know a fking thing about growing cannabis or the related cannabis strains. ..It was just a name. And this brings my next issue, why are we still doing it today? Let me tell you, the "OG Kush" going around is NOT what was in SoCal 25 years ago. The shit in SoCal 20-25 years ago was probably a "California Orange" grown in NorCal and brought to SoCal for sale. I have bought MANY bags of cannabis in my life and the whole "OG Kush" craze in the last 10 years has left me to wonder, do people really care about what the strain is and where it comes from, or do they just want a fking sales pitch?

Anyway, half of those "Kush's" I've tried in NorCal were descended on a large sativa genepool. ..A "kush" sativa.. hehe.. now thats funny...

:Namaste:

Hindu_Kush_Mountains.jpg

remember02.jpg

Well man, I'm not from Cali, so I'm not hyped to kush craze, but this thing also makes me think. O.G. Kush's genetics is usually presented as Chem Dawg '91 x Lemon Thai/Hindu Kush, which means there's very little indica in it. I actually grew one from the seed, but it was some 90's line I got from my buddy who lives in SoCal, so these seeds are more than 15 years old. Anyway, the plant was weird, cause it didn't branch out at all, and had a strong skunky/gasoline/lemon smell. Didn't smoke this bud yet, so I cannot say how much sativa/indica there is, but I will very soon.

Anyway as I get it your medical scene is heavily into indicas, which for me is a kind of secondary smoke to puff on by the end of the day. Now I'm not saying indica's bad, but it's just different world from holy sativa smoke, and I'm talking pure sativas not "sativas". Then I think that people like this Kush thing in general, cause these plants look nice, sweat out a lot of resin and finish quickly, which for me are secondary traits again :hookah:

Right on! :cool: I`ve been noticing more of the "lemon" stuff in NorCal recently, different clones. I had one grower telling me how much he hated the Thai's and I walk into his outdoor garden which is filled with Thai hybrids, although he does not know it. heheh.. :) ..In fact, his signature strain, "Dragon" was about 1/3 Thai. I am growing a Chem Jack clone which is absolutely killer; Lemon Pledge smell, shorter plant with wider leaves, spear shaped buds, dense.

ChemJack:

also. there is a clone being passed around which reminds me very closely of the old'school SoCal stuff, spicy, 3-5 finger fat leaves, fat and block buds, grows in folds, high THC, no lemon smell. The guy from which I got my ChemJack clones accidentally included 1 of those super killer "Kush" clones in the batch. kinda idiot of him, but i`m happy, he does not know what it is. hehe.. I am re-vegging it now. It reminds me of the Cherry Pie clone (not Cherry Kush clone), without the GDP in it. I am actually replacing the Cherry Pie clone in my garden for this "kush" which looked very indica to me.

Lemon and tge other tart fruity terpenes come mostly through Original Haze, Neville's Haze, Super Silver Haze, A5 Haze and other Thai-dominant varieties as this is where the excellence in cannabis is at! Asian sativas in general. U ask an over 50 grower on this forum, and he's gonna tell you that he never smoked anything better than Thai, Colombian Gold and Oaxaca in his whole life. We can hybridize ad infinitum, man. But the best gnetics is almost exclusively landrace. There's no way around it. In fact Afghan Kush, Pakistani or Maroc are indica landraces, and without this genetics indoor growing would be impossible :bong:

There is so much b/s plant naming that has been going on for some time now. I would bet half of the plants out there have just been renamed just to make sales and fake growers trying to make a name for them self's. Think how many times someone has just mixed two plants that they have and it has been done may times and they just give it a new name when that mix has been done already. With out a data base there will so much crap on the market and you will pay twice as much if you do not do home work just over a cool name.

That's why I like breeders who do not write bullshit about their genetics.

Interesting read, thanks! But that is just a theory. A good description of the current state of taxonomic studies regarding cannabis can be found here: Cannabis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (read from the "Taxonomy" paragraph and onward)

Good read.... But Pluto was once a planet so who knows:)

"Burned cannabis seeds have also been found in kurgan burial mounds in Siberia dating back to 3,000 B.C., and some of the tombs of noble people buried in Xinjiang region of China and Siberia around 2500 B.C. have included large quantities of mummified psychoactive marijuana."

I'd like to get me some of that mummy bud. I heard it gives you really bad cotton mouth:)

I'd like to get me some of that mummy bud. I heard it gives you really bad cotton mouth:)

Oh jeeze. Now I'm going to start seeing "Mummy Bud" on the menu at our local collective.
"Musky flavor that leaves you feeling like you have been asleep for five thousand years".

~ Auggie ~

Thats great, very informative about the strains and the landrace, let me ask you a question does a 100% sativa grow better than a sativaxstavia strain and what does F1 mean and landrace mean.

What do you mean by better? Faster or more vigorous? Landrace is an outdoor strain that's been inbreeding itself for at least few generations. F1 is a first generation hybrid, result of crossing two different strains which pairs their genes in a new combination.

Back
Top Bottom