A New Industry is Upon Us

OlderStoner

I know I'm preaching to the choir here when I say that like it or not, the legalization issue which has finally been resolved in at least a few states is bringing about an entire new industry. In some ways it's bad but so is the auto industry. In most ways, if we keep it discreet and under control, it's a good thing. The tax revenues alone are proving that this was long overdue, not to mention all the jobs and benefits that come along for the ride.

I recently received a free copy of several publications geared at this industry, that is professional cannabis growers. The magazines were thick, slick and I enjoyed reading some of the articles in them. But like most magazines, these were about 50 pages, give or take, and about 15-20 pages were articles, the rest were advertisements for products of all kinds. This brings me to my point about discretion. Lots of those ads were emblazoned with images of skulls, bones, and one ad even used skull and cross bones...and IMHO, there were too many of them with cartoon characters. I know, I know, it's a different time and culture out there, but showing a little class would be the preferred method for this industry to be presented to the investors, job seekers, resellers...you know, the whole thing about bringing to bear a legitimate, civic minded and responsible industry. I'm no prude, these mags also contained lots of scantily clad women, and who among us doesn't enjoy a little T&A now and then. But the ads which contained cartoons, I mean c'mon. The quickest way to give the opposing side all the ammo they need is to be accused of aiming the products at kids, which it should never be. No matter what the people who paid for these ads were thinking, this is kind of crossing the line and honestly, there are so many better ways to present products to market. Is this the best they could think of?

People from my generation (boomer here, 56 and counting) may not be considered in the scheme of advertisers these days. And even we used to tell the old farts "if it's too loud, you're too old". Still, I think some discretion is in order to keep the momentum which took so long to get started finally rolling in this country.

I believe that as we progress and the industry opens up across the country, and hopefully around the world, we will see less and less of this kind of thing, but your point is valid. Legitimacy will come more quickly as it becomes more mainstream and we are finally permitted the freedom to conduct research into the many medicinal uses of cannabis. Right now there is still this stoner mentality driving the market, and there is this deep-seated belief that the recreational market is where the big money is. That's about to be supplanted by the medical cannabis market, which will explode once it becomes legal across the board.

What people overlook about the recreational market is the fact that although it may be legal, your employer will probably not be changing his restrictions and dropping his random drug testing. Medical cannabis is going to be the driving force, IMHO.

I think when it's legalized and we have the government 'in charge' of regulating a totally mainstream commercial product, and are taxed, and flooded with soul sucking ads for commercial cannabis products, some of us will feel a tiny irrational twinge of nostalgia for the bad old days.

I know what you mean.

I think when it's legalized and we have the government 'in charge' of regulating a totally mainstream commercial product, and are taxed, and flooded with soul sucking ads for commercial cannabis products, some of us will feel a tiny irrational twinge of nostalgia for the bad old days.

In my case at least, I don't think I will ever wax nostalgically for the days when the police could raid your home, employers could fire you, etc... I remember the first time I traveled to Amsterdam and the enjoyment I felt sitting down at a nice coffee shop and being handed a menu with at least a dozen varieties of cannabis to choose from. It's true that employers will still be intolerant, mainly because of their lawyer's advice. The trick is being someone they don't want to fire in the first place and as my first post mentioned, be discreet.

No, you won't catch me feeling nostalgic about police raids. You won't catch me lining up in McDopey's Mari-Wanna Mart for the 2 for 1 McNugs deal either, I'll still be flying under the radar somewhere breaking new and different laws. Hopefully less dreadful laws.

I think there are a lot of products directly aimed at kids or the younger generation. Candy coated Advil, Birthday Cake flavored vodka, even E-cigs and the like. It's a shame that marketing is driven this way, and I agree with you that it would be much better for cannabis to move into legality with a lot more class than its predecessors. Edgy marketing is what captures attention though, and if your attention can be help for even the slightest moment, then they have a chance to present their product.

Um recreational pot is a joke. Don't vote for legalization period. Unless you want big pharmaceutical growing your product.

I'm trying to get a recreational license tier 1 under 1000sq ft and it's a nightmare.

If it's on your state ballot vote no

Um recreational pot is a joke. Don't vote for legalization period. Unless you want big pharmaceutical growing your product.

I'm trying to get a recreational license tier 1 under 1000sq ft and it's a nightmare.

Could you explain a bit more about that Dutty? Just curious.

My last video in my garden layout thread touches on the subject

Watched that just now. It's only too predictable that legislators will go for maximum greed I suppose. It would be nice to think that medical marijuana will bring with it a bit deeper compassion. Not that the pharmaceutical industry sets much of an example. Unfortunately this will probably have a lot to do with whether some people in power have personal medical issues motivating them.

I guess there are pros and cons to the new laws about marijuana. I live in Colorado and so far I think the legalization has worked here. If nothing else it is pretty cool for e everyone over 21 to be able to grow six plants without having to worry about going to prison or having their house and other property seized.

I guess there are pros and cons to the new laws about marijuana. I live in Colorado and so far I think the legalization has worked here. If nothing else it is pretty cool for e everyone over 21 to be able to grow six plants without having to worry about going to prison or having their house and other property seized.

So how do we replicate that across the country?

I've read many variables to this very issue and no state's systems seem to be identical to another's. And here in Indiana we may (if lucky) would get only limited amount of legal med mj. And likely never gain legal recreational use laws; with the current pharmaceutical businesses planting thousands of dollars into the lawmaker's pockets. To me medical marijuana legislation sounds to me to be a farce. We'll have to prove that we've exhausted all other medical treatments and drugs first, prior to pursuing the ability to be allowed mmj treatments. Then the mmj that might be considered to be allowed appears (Imho) would likely have somewhere near zero% THC.
To me, that sounds near worthless; so I'm inclined to vote for legislation for Recreational use, for the right to have and grow my own plants and the right to purchase at a retailer's shop.

Is there any downside to my thinking? As here in Indiana there is nothing much to hold my breath over, yet.

I couldn't agree more magic mike. There seems to be this game afoot where politicians are talking like they mean freedom until you read the fine print and realize the laws they're drafting have a null effect. If I have to first take copious amounts of what I consider a dangerous substance that was prescribed by my doctors before you will allow me to use a plant I can grow myself and therefore control the quality of, you've essentially told all closet growers to stay in their closets.

Ridiculous.

I see the potential for recreational laws that restrict your choices to what you can buy with no opportunity to grow your own. They can't tax what you grow on your own.

"Recreational Pot" as we know it is being poorly implemented in Washington State, I'll give you that. That doesn't mean that legalization is bad. As more states legalize Cannabis entirely, lawmakers will figure out what works and what doesn't. The consumers will keep the big pharm in check. After all, these consumers are the same people that are fighting (and winning) the war against the war on drugs.

In my opinion, we will enjoy a short period of time where individual and mom & pop growers will supply the market with cannabis strains and products. They will grow with love and dedication while making a good living. But as the markets open up and the feds free up the ability to do business banking and banks can make legal business loans, big business will move in and crush small growers. They will do this by opening branded stores with branded products that are heavily advertised. They will crush small entrepreneurs by economy of scale, making it impossible for small growers to make a profit, much like what has happened to family farms. Eventually small growers will be relegated to selling to, or running small boutique shops. Having said that, I plan to always grow my own and share with my good friends, and trade with others growers.

I am a clone farmer. I am constantly amazed at the people I have to do business with. Make an appointment to deliver next Thursday at 11 am and it is about 50/50 that he will not be there. Forgot. Fuggng pot heads. Can't do normal business? Do you know what a CALANDER IS? Do you know what an APPOINTMENT is?

I had one collective owner stand me up TWICE for delivery appointments. Three hours driving time, plus a risky trip TWO DIRECTIONS -- and nobody here to take my chit? Are you kidding me?

Told him I was going to send an invoice for $20 for gas, plus $75 per hour for three hours for my wasted trip and that I would not make any deliveries till it was paid. I just can't afford to do business with someone like that.

I have a friend who is a manager of a grocery store. I asked her how many times the Frito Lay man, or the Budweiser man would be ok with "sorry, nobody here to accept your load". She smiled and said, "It would only happen once - then I'd be wondering why the shelves are bare."

This 'business' is in flux. It is currently operated by a bunch of 20 something potheads. Drug impaired and stupid mouth breathers. When it becomes legitimate they will go away - fast.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with getting baked - but to everything there is an appropriate time and place. I have never let my party get in the way of my business.

Right now, its really hard for this 61 year old business man to do 'business' with a 25 year old smoked out pothead. Really hard.

~ Auggie ~

But there are now people who make it a point to get better quality, more natural, organic or free range raised beef, pork, chickens, eggs, and buy local from small farms all kinds of things including raw milk. So, the same could occur with mj. I think knowing the quality of handling, soil, fertilizing, for mj that might be possible with your local grower and not the big national brand, could set apart small growers in certain markets and geographies. No?

Well once legalization comes, then big business will follow, there will certainly be a "Marlboro" of cannabis. This will come slowly but like a freight train it is unstoppable. Not sure how long until the tobacco companies will wait to jump in, I assume, they are waiting for the federal law to change, then look out. They will have uniform high quality brands available across the nation. Like craft beer now, consumers will test then come back to their "Marlboro" as time passes. High quality names will be purchased by tobacco companies and they will have many brands with the consumer thinking it is a small time custom deal. I have worked for big tobacco for over 30 years as a local guy calling on retail and chains in the Midwest, USA.

Back
Top Bottom