Things you do to reduce cost of growing!

Dontscrewup

I thought this would be an interesting thread to start. As I am now on my third grow, I have made some changes in the way I operate to save money. There are many ways to save money from making your own equipment, to working efficiently, to save money on supplies and electricity. Being an inside grower who is retired and living on a strict budget, I have had to economize in every way. I'm going to start it with a way to cut your electricity usage.

There are so many ways to waste money growing weed. When thinking of saving electricity many people first think of their lights. Using LED's vs MH/HPS is one discussion, but the area I want to discuss is Fan/Blower Motors. I think if I discuss the thought process of improvement it might help new growers avoid the mistakes I made. And maybe some other experienced growers can relay their own stories of how their grows evolved that saved them money.

Exhaust Fans:
When I first started I read about how you need fresh air for your plants, I was reading about CFM and air exchange rates. So I just figured more fans the better, and run them all the time. So I ordered the 2 Ebay CF/Fan kits. I was worried about heat also from the lights so I wanted 2 fans and having an extra CF would come in handy in the future. I hooked up one fan to the light and ran outside air through it to cool it. I had another fan for the CF. Unfortunate for me I had no easy way to get the hot air out of the room I had my tent in. By the time I realized what was going on, I was going to have a serious heat problem and needed to fix it quickly. And I did it in the most uneconomical way possible.

I went out and spent $200 on a small room AC unit designed to be installed in a window to help cool down the room the tent was in. Unfortunately I did not have a window like the one you need to install this so I devised a ducting system to move the hot air exhaust of the AC unit out of the room. But the cheap unit did not like all the backpressure on its exhaust and shut down and did little to cool the room.

Phase two, I now decided that I needed to cool the tent only. So I went out and spent $500 on a portable room AC unit that came with a long exhaust duct. I had to cut a hole in the side of my tent to install the unit so that it would blow directly into the tent. I was able to get the exhaust duct to work with the type of windows I have which open from the side so it now the hot air went outside. This worked to keep the temps down in the tent but barely. I was seeing temps in the 78F-85F ranges and the second grow went into the summer and where I live summers are hot, so everything was running at the same time. My power bill had gone from $150 for two months to over $800. I was growing to save money, but I wasn't doing it smart and it was costing me more than it should have. So for my third grow I needed to improve the process.

Phase 3. Fortunately for me the first two grows provided enough that I could take a break and figure out the process. I learned many things thanks to this site between the 1st and 2nd grow, but I was concentrating on the grow process itself rather than the operation of that process, which is where the operating expense is. So for grow three I decided on making some changes, which has substantially reduced my electricity cost.

1. Grow in the main tent only in the winter months. There is a 30-40 degree difference in temp from the summer.

2. Eliminate one exhaust fan, use the one remaining to draw air through the CF then the light and exhaust outside the room using the exhaust setup that I had for the portable AC unit. My fans use 95W of power so eliminating one of them was like turning off a 100W light that I left on all the time. I knew this was a common setup but in my novice desire to max the airflow, I made a mistake. And running the hot air out of the room outside, kept it from heating up the room and brought temps down considerably.

3. Installed a variable fan controller for the remaining fan. Running the fan at 80% uses less energy, and reduces the noise produced by a large factor.

4. Put the remaining fan on a timer. Runs all the time when the light is on, but for 12 hours a day I have it run for only 15m an hour, which is sufficient for air exchange.

By doing these steps my recent electrical bill equivalent time period as in the first two grows and the bill is down to $425. Primarily due to not having to run an AC this time at all. A good return on my efforts.

What missteps did you make when first starting out?

What did you do to correct them?

Maybe you've been growing so long you don't remember your mistakes, but you have fantastic tips on things you do to reduce costs. 10 tips that save $1 are as good as one that save $10, so the more the merrier.

Let's see if we can get a discussion going on how to save money and grow efficiently.

Some chemicals can be gotten cheaper from other places other than your grow store. The people who really got rich from the California Gold Rush days were the people who sold stuff to the miners -- NOT the miners. The folks who sold pans, shovels, whiskey, pussy ... they're the ones that got rich ... not the guys who actually did the work.

Good example ... Cal Mag. That stuff is expensive. $39 per gallon is what I paid for my last jug, but that was quite a while ago. I read the label, and guess what it contains. Calcium (very trace amount) and Magnesium. Makes sense. It is good for your girls - hell yes. But, where can I find those two ingredients in for less than $39 per gallon. Well, I went to my favorite breakfast place for a short stack and asked the waitress if it would be ok for me to go thru the trash in the kitchen ... I wanted some egg shells for my garden. She said, "I will ask the cook" and left. When she brought me my check she said there was a bag of egg shells waiting for me. It was a HUGE bag (gawd, did I sound like Trump just then?). I tipped her extra.

Next I Googled the term "Magnesium". Guess what that is ... Epsom Salts. Yup. WalMart one pound is about $2.00

So, I grind the egg shells up to a powder and put it in the medium when I plant. I throw a handful of Epsom Salts in the res when I feed ...
Probably saves me $200 per year. And the girls do love it.

~ Auggie ~

Nice information Dontscrewup, we're always looking for ways to cut down those costs!

There is another thread that deals with different ways of cutting the electricity costs that might give some other ideas as well:

Ways to reduce your electrical bill - Grow and live smarter

Every little bit helps!

:circle-of-love:

And your link adds more info to this discussion! We need all the love we can get! My hope was to get some homespun wisdom here, along with some anecdotal stories to go along with it.

Some chemicals can be gotten cheaper from other places other than your grow store. The people who really got rich from the California Gold Rush days were the people who sold stuff to the miners -- NOT the miners. The folks who sold pans, shovels, whiskey, pussy ... they're the ones that got rich ... not the guys who actually did the work.

Good example ... Cal Mag. That stuff is expensive. $39 per gallon is what I paid for my last jug, but that was quite a while ago. I read the label, and guess what it contains. Calcium (very trace amount) and Magnesium. Makes sense. It is good for your girls - hell yes. But, where can I find those two ingredients in for less than $39 per gallon. Well, I went to my favorite breakfast place for a short stack and asked the waitress if it would be ok for me to go thru the trash in the kitchen ... I wanted some egg shells for my garden. She said, "I will ask the cook" and left. When she brought me my check she said there was a bag of egg shells waiting for me. It was a HUGE bag (gawd, did I sound like Trump just then?). I tipped her extra.

Next I Googled the term "Magnesium". Guess what that is ... Epsom Salts. Yup. WalMart one pound is about $2.00

So, I grind the egg shells up to a powder and put it in the medium when I plant. I throw a handful of Epsom Salts in the res when I feed ...
Probably saves me $200 per year. And the girls do love it.

~ Auggie ~

This is what I'm talking about, wisdom gained from experience and a cool story to go with it. Nice Auggie!

I am growing auto-flowering... and that is probbaly the worse that can happen to your electricity bill. 18 to 20 hours a day during the whole grow and that's more often 2.5 / 3 month than the 2 month often advertised by the seed banks.

I often remind myself than, while one grow regular/feminized during 3 or 4 months, I do it in 1 month less.... but I am not sure it is an advantage at the end when I grow during 6 months anyways.

Now, I am still in an "after invertment" period: all that I bought, and the few things I intend to buy, are more expensive than my smoking budget. But, If I do it each years during 2 / 3 years, then I think it will be worth it in terms of cost.

Thanks for the tips about fan timing, i did not think it would save so much.

I am growing auto-flowering... and that is probbaly the worse that can happen to your electricity bill. 18 to 20 hours a day during the whole grow and that's more often 2.5 / 3 month than the 2 month often advertised by the seed banks.

I often remind myself than, while one grow regular/feminized during 3 or 4 months, I do it in 1 month less.... but I am not sure it is an advantage at the end when I grow during 6 months anyways.

Now, I am still in an "after invertment" period: all that I bought, and the few things I intend to buy, are more expensive than my smoking budget. But, If I do it each years during 2 / 3 years, then I think it will be worth it in terms of cost.

Thanks for the tips about fan timing, i did not think it would save so much.

The fan timing helped some but the main savings was due to getting the hot exhaust air out of the room. Thereby eliminating the AC units. It's looking at the whole system and making incremental improvements that are synergistic (sum is greater than the whole) in nature. I have never grown an autoflower strain. I did not realize that you need to leave the lights on most of the time.

Your initial investment should always be looked at sunk costs. There are certainly ways to save money there, like DIY systems, I have one myself for vegging. It a E&F system that I made myself for less than $50.

Your initial investment should always be looked at sunk costs. There are certainly ways to save money there, like DIY systems, I have one myself for vegging. It a E&F system that I made myself for less than $50.

What is an E&F system ?

making your own seeds and cloning saves plenty also
Do you have any good stories related to seeds or clones that could be instructional or just plain interesting?

I have the space and privacy to take my plants outdoors every morning until around 3 in the afternoon. By doing this, I'm using my electricity less and saving money. And the plants love the sunshine! :thumb:

How many plants do you do this with? I'm sure you stop after they get to a certain size. But this could save lots of electricity if you have the opportunity!

It's Ebb & Flow Hydroponics system (also sometimes referred to as Flood and Drain)

:thumb:

Perhaps one of the easiest ways to get started in Hydro!

20160221_115520.jpg

I take my mothers out during the day too. (I am a clone farmer). Every chance I get they're out there. It has to be a day when I'm home to babysit. They really like it.
I hear them singing in three part harmony while they're basking in the sun.
They turn SO green when i do that, and grow an inch ...
NOTHING is better than natural sun.

I have a dozen or so moms, different sizes.

~ Auggie ~

I take my mothers out during the day too. (I am a clone farmer). Every chance I get they're out there. It has to be a day when I'm home to babysit. They really like it.
I hear them singing in three part harmony while they're basking in the sun.
They turn SO green when i do that, and grow an inch ...
NOTHING is better than natural sun.

I have a dozen or so moms, different sizes.

~ Auggie ~
That's a good way to save money, if you have the space is grow your own mothers! Space is one thing that's a big budget issue with me.

That's a good way to save money, if you have the space is grow your own mothers! Space is one thing that's a big budget issue with me.

I am a clone farmer. That is all I do. I did bring a crop to flower end of last season just because . . . But, cloning is all I do normally. I supply to collectives throughout N California.
Right now is just the beginning of season. We just put the hammer down to full production.

~ Auggie ~

I have a few magnesium pills (for us humans) that I don't use anymore. Instead of trashing them, do you think it is magnesium that is good for plants ?

Do you know a way to find the best dose ? (the pills are powder is soft tubes (sorry i don't remember the english term for these pills which shell disolve in your stomach, releasing the powder they contain).

Egg shells: Very interesting but, how are the eggs absorbed by plants ? I mean, it must take long to be available as a nutrient ? You must mix it with soil rather than in water right ?

I have a few magnesium pills (for us humans) that I don't use anymore. Instead of trashing them, do you think it is magnesium that is good for plants ?

Do you know a way to find the best dose ? (the pills are powder is soft tubes (sorry i don't remember the english term for these pills which shell disolve in your stomach, releasing the powder they contain).

Egg shells: Very interesting but, how are the eggs absorbed by plants ? I mean, it must take long to be available as a nutrient ? You must mix it with soil rather than in water right ?

Crushed eggshells have been used for eons by gardeners as a fertilizer to supply mostly Calcium, but do supply other nutrients. They can be thrown into a compost pile whole and decompose pretty fast. That's a basic explanation. :)

In the US we call them capsules. You would need to know what else is in the capsules before you use them, probably stay away from that. Like Cannafan said, egg shells are a known quantity.

I am a clone farmer. That is all I do. I did bring a crop to flower end of last season just because . . . But, cloning is all I do normally. I supply to collectives throughout N California.
Right now is just the beginning of season. We just put the hammer down to full production.

~ Auggie ~

I get it now, I used to buy my clones from a source who does the same thing here in SoCal.

Back
Top Bottom