It itches when I'm close to my plants

spacef

Hi there, strange symptom but I am not the only one, so may be it is common and known etc :

When I am near my plants, after a few seconds, it itches my skull skin, where i have hair. Usually, it happens when the plants are around 3 / 4 weeks old, ie, lots of leaves. It still happens when flowering, but much less.
It never happens when they are very young. It happens when they begin to smell.

I do not know what it is:
- micro insects trying to kill the guy who is spraying them with water or black soap ?
- some kind of allergy to some molecules sprayed by the plants ?
- something else ??
- Why does it mainly happen where i have hair (and only my skull is exposed , don't get imaginative one that one ;-) ) may be it is insects prisoners of my hair ?
- May be it is the soil rather than the plants ? I used several brands which are supposed to be disinfected, and did not yet notice a difference.

After that, I need to shower and shampoo, so it goes away. otherwise, it does not really go away for a while (an hour or so).

I am not the only one, it can happen on many plants, I even have a friend who now refuses to be near any living plant or flowers because of that :)

Any idea of what it is and how to avoid it ? especially if it is micro-insects or something like that ? if it is allergy, is there any solution ? I still need to keep a close eye on my plants and it requires that i put my head near to them inside the tents.

Thanks !

Hi there, strange symptom but I am not the only one, so may be it is common and known etc :

When I am near my plants, after a few seconds, it itches my skull skin, where i have hair. Usually, it happens when the plants are around 3 / 4 weeks old, ie, lots of leaves. It still happens when flowering, but much less.
It never happens when they are very young. It happens when they begin to smell.

I do not know what it is:
- micro insects trying to kill the guy who is spraying them with water or black soap ?
- some kind of allergy to some molecules sprayed by the plants ?
- something else ??
- Why does it mainly happen where i have hair (and only my skull is exposed , don't get imaginative one that one ;-) ) may be it is insects prisoners of my hair ?
- May be it is the soil rather than the plants ? I used several brands which are supposed to be disinfected, and did not yet notice a difference.

After that, I need to shower and shampoo, so it goes away. otherwise, it does not really go away for a while (an hour or so).

I am not the only one, it can happen on many plants, I even have a friend who now refuses to be near any living plant or flowers because of that :)

Any idea of what it is and how to avoid it ? especially if it is micro-insects or something like that ? if it is allergy, is there any solution ? I still need to keep a close eye on my plants and it requires that i put my head near to them inside the tents.

Thanks !

Well that is less than awesome. Sorry, I don't have a clue what it is causing your problem.
Tried wearing a hat when the problem time occurs?

I'm no real help, but wanted you to know folks do read posts, but just have no answer.

:geek:

Best Of Luck

JB

Strange, but I have had an allergic reaction to the leaves rubbing on my skin all day. I wouldn't doubt it's an allergy, probably the difference in atmospheric conditions in the grow room. Pressure, humidity, temperature can have reactions, and then you gotta the no about the dramatic different chemical composition. I mean think all about that wonderful fragrance, those are chemicals the plants putting into the air. Could be you and your friends have a higher sensitivity to it.

Does your scalp get red? If not, sounds like irritation at the follicles because that will make it itch really bad. I agree with the hat, isolate your hair and see if it helps. Experiment, leave it wet when going into the room, could be as simple as your hair absorbing moisture faster than your skin and making the follicles swell.

I usually use a lotion or something now before working around plants. I think it might be possible it's a natural defense mechanism too. What animal will hang around and eat a plant that makes them itch.

Thanks a lot, I think you are on the right track. I tried with a hat protecting the hair and it happens again, less but still... can't be bugs because the itching is immediate (a bug can't dig my hat that fast).
My scalp is not red, or at leats I can't see that (i still have hair ;-) )
It must be the difference of temperature and/or all those molecules from the plants. I will try the moist hair trick too.

Bro u itching for the harvest it happens to everyone. It's like a crack addict waiting for their fix. Doc Hash recommends smoke a blunt before you go in grow room call me in da morning haha :D. Enjoy your grow gl.:Namaste:

nope, i don't think so : It happens mainly before flowering and it progressively goes away when pre-flowering, and then, when buds are formed, it doesn't really happen anymore. So it is almost only during veg stage, at least that's when it is the most "powerful". Or may be I am getting used to it after a while so I don't notice it when flowers are formed.

I will have to pay attention to this. Right now , after 5 weeks of indoor grow (pre-flowering), it still happens, but much less than 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Another possibility would be a gaz exhaled by the younger plants, or by the soil itself (indoor growing, leds or cfl, the kind of light doesn't change anything). I think I remember that it happened to me when coming back from a country with almost 0 pollution, back into a big city with pollution (in summer). That's why it could be some kind of gaz from the soil, because after a while, i assume that this thing is not present anymore in the soil (if it comes from there, I should try to study this).

I will pay more attention and will report if it happens again when buds are formed... (what i say above, is by memory).

Sounds like sensitivity to terpenes. Does this also occur in the presence dried, cured product?

Past your suggestions I can't imagine what it would be. It'll be interesting to hear of the result you'll ultimately isolate. :thumb:

Like a cat, perhaps you've found your human-nip.

I can't say for sure but I have noticed if I wear a short sleeve in the"jungle " I find the tips of the leaves can poke my arm and then it itches for a quick bit but doesn't last. May just be that on your head. Other then that wear a hat . Good luck

Hi all,

>>> I find the tips of the leaves can poke my arm and then it itches for a quick bit but doesn't last

Yes, it does that too but that's "normal".

It happened to me again lately: the tent was hot (30° C or 86°F) and humid. The perfect conditions for a flock of young microscopic insects to come to life.

Other than that, I don't know, may be simply the skin of my skull that is sensitive to heat, moist etc.

Keep ideas coming, may be someone else with the same symptoms will also show up after a while.

Thanks !!!

Hi all,

>>> I find the tips of the leaves can poke my arm and then it itches for a quick bit but doesn't last

Yes, it does that too but that's "normal".

It happened to me again lately: the tent was hot (30° C or 86°F) and humid. The perfect conditions for a flock of young microscopic insects to come to life.

Other than that, I don't know, may be simply the skin of my skull that is sensitive to heat, moist etc.

Keep ideas coming, may be someone else with the same symptoms will also show up after a while.

Thanks !!!
When I'm working in the tent and the girls are in flower and I accidentally rub a bud site, ill get a hive and it'll itch like mad. It happens when I break up bud and rub my skin, hives and itch... only during flower and harvested buds.. its annoying to say the least...

if you get itchy or break out in hives just being around the plants DO NOT ingest or use cannabis , some are very allergic to it--my wife is one of them, the smell of a plant will give her a headache big time, contact will make her violently ill.

Hi all, thanks all for all the suggestions and reports and ideas.

What I experience personnally is the same each time I put new soil.
It comes from the soil - not the plants - and it will last a few days/week. So it is something in the soil (gaz, molécules etc that are liberated once the soil bag is opened ?? or micro insects/acarians/mites???.) It does not change with the brand of soil. It is not the plants, it is something in the new soil. I can't be more precise than this without science tools to measure invisible stuff :)

Back
Top Bottom