Thank you 420 Magazine

futurebud

I have been seriously contemplating on starting an "Organic Farm" ;) and so glad that I found this website. 420 Magazine, I will most certainly be sending "donation" money. I have been reading through some threads that just went on and on and WOW...the information you guys/gals are sharing is very inspirational and educational.

Just a quick note: I don't have a lot of time for this post but I'll just quickly mention...I want to get into this (ahem) business and want to do it right...and the bonus is...willing to spend up to 100K to do it.

I just thought of something :idea:...Use this 100K like a "Fantasy Football" thing and build your ultimate grow opp that would potentially yield 50 to 80lbs each grow session (i.e. 9-10 weeks).

I'll log back in a few days to see if there are any replies...my day job consumes me

:thanks:

WOW...seriously...Nobody?

Well, I guess I'll just talk to myself then...LOL

Systems
Rotogro 420 (IP friendly machine) - 420 plants - $10,000
Omega Garden (Volksgarden super stacker) 12 unit @ 960 plants - $33,000
Or a kick a$$ Hydro system...similar to "Current Culture"...biggest one they've got... 32 base system @ 14K ea. (note - cons: med size warehouse required - pros: plants can produce 300%+ higher yields due to no height restrictions.

Seeds
100% feminized - various strains - from $5 to $10 ea.

Using Rotogro - 420 @ $10 = $4,200
Using Super stacker - 960 @ $10 = $9,600
Using Hydro system - 32 @ $10 = $320

Various nutrients, water filters, carbon filters, air filters, fans, heating/cooling sytems...depending on size of OP.

I'll continue this later
:)

Well before I invested 100K in a grow operation I would be sure I personally had the skills and knowledge to expand to such a large grow. I recently read about a gentleman up in Washington who wanted to jump into the business with both feet. Unfortunately he did not do all of his homework before jumping in with both feet. His 1st harvest crashed and he lost everything. If you do plan to go ahead with this venture I suggest you either are or hire a master gardener. Research anyone you hire and make sure they know exactly what they claim they know.If it was simple everyone would be cashing in their 401K's and getting rich.
A few things I did not see covered in your expense report was monthly rent, monthly utilities, initial electrical and plumbing installations.
Also monthly costs of nutrients/fertilizers, labor costs not just for the grow but for the harvest as well. I also saw no mention of dehumidifying equipment or cooling equipment. Lighting and ventilation. All these things will add up quickly.
Personally if I had 100K to invest in growing I would be looking at investing around 30K in equipment and utilizing the remaining 70K as working capital to get the project off the ground. Lets not forget the lawyers you will have to hire to keep everything legal so you do not get raided. Also you will need to establish buyers who can move and are willing to carry your product. Many may already have growers they are already working with.
I believe it would be doable and even profitable but you may want to reconsider how large you start out with, once you get up and running, there is always time to expand and grow.

Hope this did not come across as raining on your parade because it was not intended as such, but if you do proceed with this idea, I personally would like to see you be successful with your endeavor.

OlderGrower...thank you very much for the time you spent in your response...it is greatly appreciated. Yes, you're correct, there are a few things that I have left out of the equation because I have yet to decide on whether to purchase a piece of land and construct a building or lease something out in the boonies. The other expenses are negligible, i.e. power, water, nutrients, potential rent, etc.

You're absolutely correct in making sure I have all my "ducks in a row" before I jump in. After all, 100K is 100K no matter how you look at it. I'm willing to go higher...just want to do it right.

You mentioned about hiring someone with experience...I agree 100% actually 1000%. I do have a few connections to some "Older Growers", guys who have been doing it for 20+ years...now retired. They seem very interested with the concept, I just have to figure a way to get them involved properly where they feel comfortable and confident...plus...there is certainly the "Trust" factor that I'm sure you can appreciate.

Once again OlderGrower, thank you for your response and I look forward to future communications with you.

Mate i would start out small to get a feel for it u either got it or u aint.It can be learnt on the way.Any mistake equal s money depending on size it can be catastrophic or managable.Its sorta like buying a car i always test drive em.Gotta feel it see if u like it or not,mayb it doesnt have tinted windows or wide wheels which would discourage me from buying it.I hope it makes sense and helps out. Good luck in wateva u choose to do i also would be interested in seeing which avenue u choose to go

Back
Top Bottom