Alone for 4 Weeks - Dead or Alive?

Clancy

Are they Dead or Alive? On Sept. 8 we will find out. Many people have asked the question..."how long can I leave my plants to go on holiday?" My plants have been left alone in a grow box with 400 watts of light and heat on them for 4 weeks. Now, the question is: Are they Dead or Alive?

I left them growing all by themselves for 4 weeks inside my grow box where temperatures typically hover around 90-100 degrees. I had no choice but to leave them; it was either throw them in the compost pile or see if they can manage on their own while I travelled for a month. (Note, I was able to get someone to watch over the building they are in in case of fire but that's it. The security person won't have anything to do with the grow box or plants.)

Here are the details: They're in 5 gallon pots. They are feminized, 3 White Widows. I watered them very heavily before I left. If that was all I did, of course they'd probably be dead. But, I also set up a wicking system. I placed two 5 gallon water bottles inside the box with the plants. Then, I tore an old cotton towel into strips to serve as wicks. I poked 3 holes in the soil of each plant and pushed 3 wicks into the soil of each plant. Then I covered the soil and wicks with cedar mulch. The other end of the wicks were stuck into the water jugs with metal weights so they stay down on the bottom---also sealed the water jug mouth with plastic.

What do you think---Dead or Alive? Check back on this post Thursday and I'll post the outcome with pictures.

Hi Billyjack, thanks for giving me hope :)
They were in flower at about 2 weeks when I left them and they were getting quite tall. I have about 4 feet of growing space and they were threatening to stretch to the light. So, I rigged up a wire mesh guard. I'd say when I re-open, (assuming they are alive), I'll need about 2 more weeks flowering. It's true the box is very hot-- but I've grown quite successfully in it before and I'm using the same kind of seeds so---fingers crossed.

Well I finally opened up my grow box and the results are not pretty. They're barely alive and it looks like all bud formation stopped like 3 weeks ago. Buds are tiny, like the size of marble. The leaves are mostly shrunken and dried. I guess that's a lesson learned for me.

Yep, I think that's a good plan, Billyjack. thx. Gave them a heavy watering just now and letting them recover. From there I'll see.

Let us know if they come back to life! Great post btw, I enjoyed it.

---GL---

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Well, the post mortem is in: (Sorry no pics) All 3 plants have gone into the compost pile. Like Billyjack figured there was still life in one of them. It started to grow buds again but the fact of the matter is I'm on the road again for a long time and It'd just be left alone again--so it was "put down". The other two died like and shriveled.

Lol...get a wife eh?--My current wife may not find that such a great idea.
I think I have solved my watering problem tho': I bought an automatic waterer. It's supposed to be able to water autonomously for up to 30 days. Not cheap, over $200.00 with tax but that will be paid for the first time it gets me thru a successful grow.

My experience was not good same situation.
My marbles took 3 weeks to come back
And there slow growing
Im lucky i still had time left in flowe

Sent from my SM-N920P using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Lol...get a wife eh?--My current wife may not find that such a great idea.
I think I have solved my watering problem tho': I bought an automatic waterer. It's supposed to be able to water autonomously for up to 30 days. Not cheap, over $200.00 with tax but that will be paid for the first time it gets me thru a successful grow.

Gravity drip feed may be a cheaper alternative even if you add airstones just to gove it a mix every so often during the day on a timer. Gravity will do the rest

Back
Top Bottom