Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When is it best to manicure your buds?

420 Member

When is it best to manicure your buds?

when is it best to trim all leaf and tip off your bud so it looks its best?
    should it be done befor its dried or after and how much do you need to trim away? do you just cut it at the edge off the bud?

Blog Entries

Re: when is it best to manicure your buds?

It all depends on the appearance that you want, or the speed at which you want to get the job done.

"Fresh" trimming is fastest. You just snip all protruding items off at bud level.
    "Dried" is slower, with the potential for more trichomes to be knocked off.

Conniseur cut is when all the leaves are removed from the bud...and the most time consuming.
    Dedicated Contributor
    420 Magazine Creating Cannabis Awareness Since 1993.
    GROW ROOM - HERE
    HOW TO GROW MARIJUANA - HERE
    GALLERY PIC UPLOAD GUIDE - HERE

Support the cause!

IMHO, this is what a properly trimmed and manicured bud should look like... (This is one of Urdedpal's bud pics )

Peace
    MC

Blog Entries

Perfecto!!!
    Dedicated Contributor
    420 Magazine Creating Cannabis Awareness Since 1993.
    GROW ROOM - HERE
    HOW TO GROW MARIJUANA - HERE
    GALLERY PIC UPLOAD GUIDE - HERE

Support the cause!

and what if i cut all the leaf it jast slow the process ?
    but the quality will be the same?
    and it can suntan mor good ?
    let's say it supposed to tike 9 week so now its tike 10-14 week not included the wash and the dry ya?

hmm.. not sure what you're asking. You don't want to trim the leaves off while the plant is still flowering - quality and quantity will suffer..

If you wait until after it's harvested and dried to trim, it will be very difficult if not impossible to get the small fan leaves off without ruining all the trichromes on the buds.

Any excess moisture during the drying process is not good.. not only will it slow everything down. but it increases the possiblity of bud rot or mold getting started.

Peace
    MC

I tend to go overboard when trimming my bud. I trim all the leaf off at the stem, so I tend to open up the but a bit when trimming but its wet so it all goes back into place. Leaf gives you more weight if that means anything, but if you cut off that leaf and still cure it you can make hash or just make butter, oil, or milk with it and have a bake off.
    Smoke buds with your buds
    -Me

"Its better to have known puff and to have lost it than to have never puffed at all"
    -Buttercup

I'm all about the bake offs! Trim them so they look nice and use the rest. Waste nothing of the plant.
    Ishmar Rodriguez
    MarijuanaEpicurean

420 Member

i am having the same proplem this is my first harvest and i am wonderign if i am overdoing the trimming. shold i just cut all the leaves flush from my plant or do i have to dig them out. ill post a pic you tell me what to do.

420 Member

MadameCrash has a perfect picture of what a trimmed bud should look like. I sometimes do the connoisseur trim but really your wasting a lot of very good smokable bud. If you trim too much leaf you loose the crystal effect and people love to see all the crystals.

I agree that the picture posted above is what you should be aiming for. The leaf within the bud actually has quite a high THC content so you don't want to be digging in and cutting it out.

I trim mine even closer than the picture shows. I do it with fresh buds and want every bit of trim for hash oil/kief. I'm really getting into eating pot as it seems to greatly reduce pain from my arthritis.

As I work up the cola I trim out anything with glands on it and separate each bud from the stalk for curing. It takes me a couple of hours to trim enough bud to get an ounce of dry. I'm a fussy old fart.

I use butane to get the best honey. The pot can next be used to get an oil extraction with iso-propanol, methanol or petroleum ether. A quick methyl hydrate extraction can be cleaned up with a bit of petroleum ether and a freezer. If you want to know more, ask.

I'm going to try mixing some honey oil with kief to see if I can make some decent hash. Any thoughts?

I have two analytical balances that are good to one ten thousands of a gram and have lots of stuff to experiment with so I plan on keeping records and will let you all know how it works out.

I'm building a new condenser coil for my home built still and will record it in pictures along with my butane extraction method for later posting here.

Distilling petroleum ether from camp stove fuel is extremely hazardous as is butane extraction for honey oil and should not be undertaken if you tend to be a klutz.

I use my still to purify vodka to 97% for tinctures and it is just as dangerous to do that as it is to make pet-ether. None of this stuff is for the faint of heart as one forgotten thing is all it takes to blow yourself to kingdom come.

I loaned a buddy most of my lab gear to make oil from leaves with. Three 2L boiling balls, three still heads, three water cooled condensers plus all related equipment went up in smoke when dumbass walked in with a lit cigarette. Four or five skin grafts later fixed him up OK. He's gone to me but I sure miss my gear!

Lots of fun playing with this stuff until it goes tits-up. I'll be back on the truck delivering anhydrous ammonia to the farmers in a week or so. You want to talk about hazardous materials. This shit will fuck you up big time. One big snort can melt your lungs or blind you right freakin' now! A short whiff can clear a stuffy nose real quick but it gets stuffier later.

The season only lasts for 6-8 weeks every spring and fall but I get 18 hours a day with overtime after ten. $23/hour regular time and you can do the rest of the math. I live on an acreage and park the truck in my driveway. Can't do that in town even with a water truck.

This fall will be my 10th season and knock on wood as free of drama as the last nine. I had a lot more fun when I hauled propane. Gotta match?!

Gotta go. C'ya l8tr

420 Member

totally love and interested in the chemistry

Quote Originally Posted by teamgilly View Post
    totally love and interested in the chemistry
    I spent three and a half years getting my diploma in Environmental Chemistry and have the diploma and $30,000 student loan debt to prove it! lol

The chemistry for extractions, distillations and purification are simple enough for an intelligent, handy person to learn and apply to good end.

Even isomerization is easy with lab glassware or home made equipment if you know what the basic principles are.

Distilling highly flammable solutions is fraught with danger and best left to trained persons. Distilling perfectly good booze out of RV antifreeze is fun and saves a ton of cash if you like to get pissed. Chinese cooking wine is a great source for cheap booze too. Once it's distilled it's vodka and half the price or less than the real thing. Screw Smirnoff's!

Some sugar, yeast and water can brew up to 20% alcohol. 16% with bread yeast. Feed the CO2 to your grow room for a free plant booster! I use the 5 USGal blue jugs and love watching my plants bud out while my liver sues for separate maintenance.

All you need to know about distillation can be found at ...

Home Distillation of Alcohol

Go nuts! I did and I feel so much better.

420 Member

i am currently working on my undergraduate degree in social work, however my first love is science and i love chemistry.ive been contimplating going for a second major in chemistry just for fun but i havnet decided yet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast