View Poll Results: Hang or Bag method to dry?

Voters
304. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hang it up!

240 78.95%
  • Bag it up!

40 13.16%
  • I use another method to dry mine.

24 7.89%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Hang dry or Bag dry?

Re: Hang dry or Bag dry?

You guys can do what you want with your buds, to be honest I really only care about my own. I can only tell you by experience that both methods work. If your growing so much bud that its being smashed by the weight, try using more than one bag. Each method has its pros and cons and there's a reason why there are more than one way to dry buds.
    Screen drying is practice more for comercial growing because you can dry buds quick but is damaging to the buds exterier and its vary easy to over dry them. Screen drying is also preferred when humdity levels are high and can't be controlled.
    Bag drying is more for the times you have too dry of a area or you don't have a dark place to dry buds. This is practice mostly by homegrowers with small crops and if humidity is a issue, just put the bag in your oven (as long as it is a gas oven). The pilot light makes sure that outside of the bag is very dry. But (there's always a but lol) bag drying is not for areas when the humidity is over 50%.
    Hang drying. Its about the easiest of all methods, no rocket science in this but you need a area thats dark and large enough. Pot snobs also prefer it cuse its the least damaging to the buds. Hang drying is best done when humidity levels are between 45 to 60%.
    There are many more pros and cons to each method but I just don't see why I should put the effort to list them all. After all, if you can grow a plant to produce the fruits of your labor, you can figure out how to dry some buds.

Ya' gota' Have air flow for drying
    and tighter it is
    compressed/packed together/fans covering buds
    the Less you have on the total area.

No matter the process tools/methods you use.

Didn't vote, no option for Both

BL:
    the longer the drying process the better..(I know waiting sux!)
    Last edited by Frog; 10-20-2007 at 10:25 AM. Reason: forgot the BottomLine

I hang t until stems are just getting cracky, but not so dry they snap in half. Then I put it in paper bags and then plastic and back a few times until it's where I want it.

Same here kickstart, Works great this way for me toooo.

I also thought I would mention that in the winter it rains a lot here. If it is raining and very humid I run a dehumidifier in the hanging room. I set it at 50 or 55% and let it run for a few days then switch to a 2 hr. on and 2 hr. off cycle for the rest of the dry out.

Guess i grow to many cola's to bag dry buds. I am a super topper each plant has at least 12-24+ tops all as huge as my forarm! i use the hang'em like a clothes line methode! 20ft box trailer with lines tied from one side to the other row after row of hanging cola's no way to even think of bagging that much weed until dry and clipped down! then i bag the dry buds for the final cure! If u only grow a few oz's then bag it i guess but for anyone who grows big oz size tops. I dont see how it will work to bag them. The grower who says he takes a bunch of tops and ties them together and hanges them in a bag. how does the bag not collaps from the weight of the tops??????? Once again why chance mold with your GOLD!

If your drying in pounds, that is considered cash cropping. You almost have to use screens unless you like to take up alot of space hang drying. Your a lil different from a home grower. Most home growers dry ounces of bud or maybe up to one to 2 pnds for the larger home growers. Makes a big difference. I never bag dry more than a qp in one bag and the top of the closet housed 2 1000watt ballasts so you know that is a dry closet.

In california we are able to grow 6 plants for each prescreption. We have 2 scripts so we grow 12 plants. they average 1-5 lbs each. Its way to much to try and bag dry! Full sun in the back yard in 4ft deep by 6 ft round holes grows monsters! i beleave in super topping which is top every branch during veg cycle multi times so each brach makes 2, then 4 then 8 u can have hundreds of tops this way in holes big enough to support enough roots to feed all those cola's!

we like pictures

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalGrower View Post
    In california we are able to grow 6 plants for each prescreption. We have 2 scripts so we grow 12 plants. they average 1-5 lbs each. Its way to much to try and bag dry! Full sun in the back yard in 4ft deep by 6 ft round holes grows monsters! i beleave in super topping which is top every branch during veg cycle multi times so each brach makes 2, then 4 then 8 u can have hundreds of tops this way in holes big enough to support enough roots to feed all those cola's!
    The more I top a plant, yes the more bud sites I get for colas, problem is I always end up with small buds and the yeild is actually lower. I tried topping early on some, and I tried multiple topping, I even tried topping then vegging then topping. It just doesn't seem to work for me. So I am not a fan for topping, supercropping, and FIM. I am also a indoor grower and I have never grown outdoors. I would love to see your 5 lb plants, I could only wish to be able to grow that large but being indoors and having height restrictions will never let me achieve anything close to that size. You Cali patients are lucky not to have a size limit.

I suppose we are getting a little off topic, but I have to agree with Urdedpal on the topping stuff. I am an indoor grower also (although next year I will do an outdoor crop too). I deal with a lot of plants at a much smaller size. The only time my plants get topped is if I take clones and happen to take a top or two. I also "skirt" the bottoms; I remove all lower growth from the soil to 6" up or so. This makes the main cola and buds remaining get much larger since that "larf" is not there using resources.

Talking Re: Hang dry or Bag dry?

manicure(get rid of as much stalk/stem as possible),then put the goods into a brown paper bag with pin holes pierced all over, lay her on her side at the base of a closet and have a small fan circulating air,have a cabinet re-shuffle within the bag each night in case some a the little critters start gettin ahead a themselves.once the few remaining stalks snap without too much resistance, shes a ready for the cure.....glass jars..air tight(the less packed the better)
    open for a few minutes twice or even thrice daily,slight re-shuffle.start sampling after three or four days(the longer you can manage to keep your sticky manhandlers off em the better)
    " The modest Rose puts forth a thorn,
    The humble sheep a threat'ning horn:
    While the Lily white shall in love delight,
    Nor a thorn nor a threat stain her beauty bright."
    William

Blog Entries

My opinion is that moisture and darkness are breeding grounds for mould. I always hang dry my buds to dry before curing. I hate the musty smell that can come from bag dried weed.

Talking Re: Hang dry or Bag dry?

wow is that mister escher himself standing in front of you...or is that just my reflection on the screen.
    well ive tried hangin and if you don't manicure your just adding so much time onto the already tedious drying out period,i' ve even manicured and hung each bud by a small remaining niblet of stalk via clothes-peg,via clothes hangers.
    slow but barely plausible for small crops.
    the bag method has worked fine once the ventilation is in order, ie dont shut the closet,leave the top of the bag open keep everything nice and loose.
    " The modest Rose puts forth a thorn,
    The humble sheep a threat'ning horn:
    While the Lily white shall in love delight,
    Nor a thorn nor a threat stain her beauty bright."
    William

isnt mold the reason for turning the bags daily and whatnot?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast