Hash Making

This is going to take almost all day, and a lot of editing, so this thread is a work in progress.

I want to preface this with this is what I have learned and know and I'm sure someone will offer argument or debate or contradictory opinions. I am not saying the way I do it is the BEST way or MOST efficient way. I am saying it is my way that I do it, the way I like to do it and the way I find simple and easy to do with very little expense. It is a lazy way, that I can make it sitting down and watching TV at the same time. There are probably a dozen ways to make HASH, and this is a couple of the ways of making HASH without using Bubble Bags or electric extractors.

First, I'd like to talk about WHAT IS HASH and what I know about HASH.

When we look at a plant in Flowering, we see on the smaller leaves very near the buds or flowers what we used to call THE CRYSTALS, looking like little sparkly diamonds to the naked eye. That is a slang term for the TRICHOMES, also call the TRICHS. In Europe, they are also called the RESIN GLANDS. After they are removed, they are called KIEF, sometimes often misspelled KEEF.
When we collect and gather the KIEF and press it with a HASH PRESS or KIEF PRESS, or when we press and bake it into a cake or patty or clump or a rolled up ball, we then call it HASH or HASHISH. Very high grade Hash is 100% Kief or 100% Trichomes and often it has some plant matter or leaf material in it, making it a lower grade HASH. HIGH Grade 100% Kief or HASH is a brownish blonde color. Lower grade is more green and less blonde OR all green. I've seen some people mix the Kief and grounded up leaf material, press it and call it HASH, but that is the lower or lowest grade HASH, if it is to really be considered HASH.

I love HASH. Real Hash has more THC and less Canabanol, making it more of a heady high. HASH is cleaner than smoking buds. It is easier to store and will last for over a year. I can smoke HASH in the mornings and still do chores, and feel energetic and feel like doing something. It also makes me feel creative, like writing, or doing some arts and crafts. It is more of a giggley high to me, than smoking just buds, but that is just my opinion.
I also love HASH because it takes very little of it to get me high. I can break off a piece the size of two BBs (like in a BB gun) put it in a pipe on a screen, and get 4 tokes, 2 tokes for two people, that will knock our socks off.
I also like it for travel and concerts, it is very easy to hide or conceal and I often take it with me. A gram can last me several days.

Back in the 70s, I experienced Royal Afgani Hash. It was very moist and I learned later that some water or some tea was added to it to make it STRETCHY. It was sort of greasy, in a dark round ball, it bubbled when we smoked it. That and BubbleHASH and Nepalese Hash are the only kinds of HASH I have ever smoked that did bubble. The HASH I make does not bubble.

Also in the 70s, the most frequent commercial HASH that made it to America was from Lebanon. Blonde Lebonese was the best we got then. It was made from beating the dried plants over a fine mesh screen, and was placed in very thin cotton cloth bags. It was then rolled with a heavy weight still in the bag, like a giant rolling pin like bakers use, but much more heavier and larger. It was very dry. We learned if it was slightly moist and darker in color, it was probably Pakistani Hash.

We used to also get dark greasy round balls of brownish Hash, from Nepal, callled Nepalese Hash or Nepalese Balls. It bubbled when we smoked it too.

Most all growers have experienced Hand Rubbed HASH from manicuring the buds and finding trichs stuck to their hands. It is almost like a film of sticky hard thin plastic and very good to smoke, needing ony two tokes to get you high.
Other than HAND RUBBED, there is BUBBLE HASH that extracts the trichs with Ice and Bubble Bags, there is BLENDER HASH, or Coffee Grinder Hash, and there is SCREEN HASH.

I prefer making SCREEN HASH.

Re: Roseman's Hash Making

I'm in !! :popcorn: and thank you in advance !!

For SCREEN HASH, you need some screen, preferably Silk Screen. I've been told that a major craft chain store called MICHEALS is a cheap place to get it.

I have a friend who owns a local Silk Screen Printing business. He makes hundreds of printed T-shirts. I asked him for some silk screen, and he told me that he quit buying it by the roll, and now gets it already framed for his machines.
This is what he gave me, it is almost two feet square, and very easy to see through. I put the cigarette lighter and film cup in the pic to give you some idea of how big it is. The silk screen is stretched VERY TIGHT within the frame.

If you have a local T-Shirt Printing place, ask them for some silk screen.

2009_HASH_Making_001.jpg

You can also use a Coffee Bean Grinder to extract the Trichomes from the buds and trim leaves.

cool-grind.jpg

I've seen some smokers use the Coffee Grinder to blend up buds and trim leaves, and smoke the ground up buds and then scrape the Kief off the blades and top and sides of the inside of the grinder. Then they processed the KIEF into Hash.
I have also seen some smokers only use their fluff buds and popcorn buds and then take the grindings and place them in a blender with ice and ice water, and extract the kief to make a higher grade Hash.

Here you see a quart jar, with the foot of a panty hose or nylon stocking stretched over the top of the jar. I also saw a grower use a Pringles Potato Chip Tube, with a nylon stocking stretched over the end of the washed clean tube.

I have also seen a grower use a plastic bowl with the nylon stocking stretched over it.

2009_HASH_Making_002.jpg

The nylon stocking or panty hose is the "just right" size of mesh screen to allow the triches out and hold the powerdy dried leaves in. If you see a "mesh size" on the silk screen you purchase, then look for size 100, or 120.

You can put your dried crumbled frozen trim leaves in the jar. You can add ground up buds in it too. I suggest an eight to a 1/4 ounce of trim, or 1/4 jar full. You need some extra empty room in the container.
You can put your GRINDINGS from the Coffee Grinder or from an electric blender directly in the jar, and then place the jar in the freezer.
You can simply use dried, crumbly trim leaves in the jar or container.

Either way, you shake the jar upside down over a large mirror or into a stainless steel pan for 5 minutes, then re-freeze the jar or container and do it again, and again, and again and again, re-freezing it and shaking it again.

Here is what I use and like the best.
2009_HASH_Making_007.jpg

That center divider you see is removable, and is actually a RAKE, that you use to rake the trim leaves aroud in the box, over the screen. It has leather ends so the trichs or kief doesn't stick to it.

The box also comes with a plastic rake, like a small thin credit card, used to scoop up the kief.
The bottom of the box is a non stick mirror like material, easily removed for cleaning.

Let me stop and say that the Trichomes are easily removed from the trim leaves when frozen or very cold. They cease to be so sticky when chilled or frozen.
When you are extracting the kief, you keep the trim leaves very cold.

Here is my box.
You see the empty bottom, it looks like a black mirror.
2009_HASH_Making_007.jpg

You can see a very little small amount of kief already in the bottom, from the last dozen joints I rolled in the box. You also see some very small pieces of leaf.
The green tab on the left of the box is for removing the mirror.
And you can see the wooden RAKE with the leather tips to the left also.

2009_HASH_Making_005.jpg

This view is looking right into the screened bottom box.
I simply put my frozen trim leaves in the box, about a half a cup full, rake them around about 5 minutes, remove them, and replace them, over and over again.

I have several of these frozen packets. I do not know the proper name. We buy seafood shipped FED-EX to our house and they arrive in styrafoam boxes, with the frozen packets inside to keep them chilled.

2009_HASH_Making_003.jpg

I use them to keep my trim leaves chilled, after I take them out of the freezer.
They are much colder than ICE and stay frozen all day long even out of the freezer.

I had 5 gallon baggies of trim leaves and bud leaves from my harvest. I have already processed two of them, ONCE each.

2009_Grow_0051.jpg

2009_Grow_0041.jpg

I put a bag of trim in the freezer for an hour.
2009_HASH_Making_004.jpg

Let me add here that STEMS near the buds do have SOME Trichs on them, and can be processed like the trim leaves, to extract the kief. If they are sticky, they have trichs on them.

I have a very large one gallon mixing bowl.

2009_HASH_Making_008.jpg

I put a couple of the frozen packets it the bottom of it.

2009_HASH_Making_009.jpg

Then I lay a bag of my trim on top of them.
2009_HASH_Making_010.jpg

Then two more frozen packets on top of the trim.
2009_HASH_Making_011.jpg

You can use baggies with ICE in them. I have used just plain ICE in the bowl to keep them chilled and cold.

Now I sit on the sofa, with a good movie or game on TV and the bowl of chilled trim by my side on the sofa.
2009_HASH_Making_013.jpg

I also have an extra empty gallon baggie too. I use it to put my warm already raked around the box trim leaves in, after I rake them around the box.

I add 1/4 ounce or half cup of dried crumbled trim leaves to my box, on the screen, and rake them around for 5 or ten minutes. The trichs fall off through the screen, onto the mirror in the bottom.
2009_HASH_Making_012.jpg

I do this for about an hour, raking them around on the screen, until I have done the entire bag of trim leaves.

Took me an hour and half to process that one gallon baggie, doing a small amount for 5 or ten minutes.
I have now completed three gallon baggies full.
2009_HASH_Making_014.jpg

2009_HASH_Making_015.jpg

The kief is gritty, and easy to gather.

Many smokers smoke just plain Kief in a pipe or add it to the bowl in the pipe, or bong. Many smokers add KIEF to the joint too. I think plain Kief that is not PRESSED smokes too fast. When you put a flame to it, it just goes WOOF! Compressing it into HASH makes it smoke much, much slower.

Back
Top Bottom