Favorite strains for making hash?

ItsChrome

Hey guys,

So I'm going through a fundamental shift in my growing with a focus from strait bud into a more hash based program. So I'm sitting here looking or strains and thought I'd stop by for your input on strains. What strains do you guys grow for your hash? are there any "must have" has strains? do you find hash strains are worth it over non hash strains.

thanks guys!

I got the name Hash Hound in the 70's when I returned home from Germany from being in the army. I had been smoking some of the best has on the planet for 2.5 years.

The quest for good hash at home was pointless. Nothing.

That's when I started to get into weed.

Her I am 40 yrs later and have seen hash only on a few rare occasions.

Recently a friend had some pieces of hash about the size of a York peppermint patty. I got a few grams from him and it was good, but not like the real thing from Asia. It was not stoney enough like hash should be.

They did a first class job of making it, but it was probably from trimmings of what ever hybrid they grew, or maybe even a mix of a few.

I think a pure indica is the way to go. That's my opinion.

I have a small bag of trimmings from my last White Widow that is the best pot I have smoked in many years. I plan on just using my home made shaker and trying to get a gram or two that I am anticipating being some killer smoke, but not necessarily good hash if you know what I mean.

I recently made a small ball of hash from rubbing the scissors and fingers after the last trim.

This is what I got. Tasted great just like the real thing, but still didn't have that knock out hash stone.

G9_hash_ball.jpg

Buy some Bubble bags and make great hash the easy way.

The water will wash away the flavor so different strains will taste the same.

......, but not necessarily good hash if you know what I mean.
I know exactly what you mean.

What ever happened to the blond Lebanese that we use to smoke on a pin under glass ? How did they make that stuff ?

(Skip to the red text for the quick answer)
I just finished my first batch of dry ice hash and very pleased with the outcome; no matter the strain, I found that the more mature the plant was, the greater the desired effects; the blonde stuff I got from the 160-mesh bag was the cleanest-smoking of the batch, leaving only a fine white ash and having no discernable tast, although the light aroma of flowers is present when I open the tin of trichome powder I have for stash.

When the weed is cured properly so the chlorophyl is gone, then the vegetable matter that comes through the larger screen will add flavor to the hash and this is when the strain would make a difference in the effects department. THC and CBD are in the trichomes; however, there is still much THC & CBD trapped in the vegetable matter in the form of THCA and CBDA, where the A represents Acid. The human body cannot process THCA & CBDA unless it is first heated through a process called Decarboxylation, which by using heat (smoking or in a boiling bag does it), removes a carbon component that blocks the medicinal effects.

My point is that the strain will not make any difference if you are making very pure hash made almost entirely of trichomes; if you make traditional kief using larger mesh sizes, then the strain will affect the taste and level of harshness. The strength of the weed you start with affects the level of medication.

I really like the dry ice method because the weed doesn't have to be cured first - it doesn't even need to be dry because the water content evaporates right away, practically popping the trichomes off of the plant matter. Smoking this fine stuff does not compare to a simple joint, for I can take one bong hit of a BB-sized dose and within seconds my face is numb and I am high for two hours before thinking I could use another hit.

Another thing - smoking the blonde trichomes produces no discernable smell - as far as I can tell - compared to "greener" hash.

The strains I used in this batch were Sannie's Jack, Madonna, Anesthesia and K.O. Kush, with the Anesthesia being the strongest Indica/Sativa hybrid strain. I first mixed all of the bud & trim in a Ninja mixer to make the batch uniform and will keep the green leftovers to make hash oil some day when I graduate to that level of expertise.

I hope this has been informative.

3048.jpg

33124.jpg

13189.jpg

Aard

That's a nice job you did there.

Do you do anything with the trim after the dry ice, like try to eek some more out with water or make a tincture? Or do you pitch it?

And what's in the little bottle that is in the pic?

Aard

That's a nice job you did there.

Do you do anything with the trim after the dry ice, like try to eek some more out with water or make a tincture? Or do you pitch it?

And what's in the little bottle that is in the pic?

Thanks, HH. I kept the leavings in a tupperware; I am ready to do another batch now, so I will add to it soon<G>. The bottle is a tincture of CBD that I bought at an Auburn, ME dispensary; it is there for scale.

BTW, the drops don't do shit. Too weak. I will eventually use my leftover green stuff to do an oil extract, after having heated it to free the good stuff from its acidic bonds. Or so I hope.

Take care!

cool, thanks for the info! I'm just starting my adventures with hash so I'm still learning a bit.

speaking of learning, this dry ice method.. can I get a good break down on that?

also what we are doing is we have a peice of 160 screen he mounted into a frame. we grind and shake with a few ball bearing in the mix for good measure. then we take the greens and run them through a BHO extraction to make sure we get every last bit..

cool, thanks for the info! I'm just starting my adventures with hash so I'm still learning a bit.

speaking of learning, this dry ice method.. can I get a good break down on that?

also what we are doing is we have a peice of 160 screen he mounted into a frame. we grind and shake with a few ball bearing in the mix for good measure. then we take the greens and run them through a BHO extraction to make sure we get every last bit..

OK, since you started this thread wondering which strains were best for making hash, I complicated it by adding dry ice to the mix.

I was under the impression that you had not yet gone past the strain selection yet - do you have a crop going right now?

I could give you a rundown on the method, but I have only done it once and I learned from watching people doing it online (YouTube: VaderOG: search for it). My grow journal has a few details - certainly enough to get you to understand the basics, although I did not do a movie - I may next batch this weekend.

If you have a 160-mesh screen in a frame, you need to remember to have a droop in the screen at least 8" deep, although the frame is unnecessary; just gather the bag at the top with a few chunks of dry ice - golfball sized. If you try to force anything through the screen using weighted balls, it will degrade the screen and clog it quickly. Leave out the ball bearings, because the dry ice is enough of an agitator. if you search for dry ice hash or kief you will be overwhelmed by the results.

I know exactly what you mean.

What ever happened to the blond Lebanese that we use to smoke on a pin under glass ? How did they make that stuff ?

Its not so much about how they make hashish in Lebanon as what they grow to make the hashish with there. The issue is that the high THC bud that we are growing in the states is a different type of weed than the stuff that they grow in Lebanon. Rosenthal calls what we grow as Type 1 Cannabis, with high THC and low CBD. He calls what they grow in Lebanon as Type 2 Cannabis, with high THC and high CBD. That is the critical difference and what makes Lebanese hash mellow and groovy. Lebanese hash is made in two forms; the blonde is made from early harvested weed when the calyxes are still white, the red is made from late harvest weed when the calyxes have matured and turned red and brown. The blonde is like early harvest bud; more cerebral. The red is more stony. Same strains of plants though.

BTW: they grow/make hash in Lebanon by harvesting the whole plants and drying them in bundles in the sun for about 3 days either in the fields or on rooftops. Then they take them inside and dry them for a few more weeks. The whole plants are then beaten with sticks to remove the leaves, flowers and seeds from the stalks. Then they chop the material up and sieve out the stems, leaves and seeds in a progression of finer and finer sieves (up to 5 in all). The seeds are saved and planted the following year in the spring. The sieved leaf material is put back in the fields. The stalks are used for making rope. The final finest sieved material is then kneaded and pounded into slabs (or souls) or pressed into molds.

Back
Top Bottom