Bubble hash - Pics and questions

SAMtheAPman

So this is my second attempt at bubble hash. First attempt was quite a bit of trim, only got 3 grams of hash though....

This time around, I used 62g of washed and cured Silver Surfer Haze. Took me a few months to get to, which is really the only reason I was using cured buds. They were beautiful looking and smelling buds, but this plant had lots and lots of white bugs on it so I didn't want to smoke it as is. Final product looks a lot nicer....

15.3g in total:
bubble-hash.jpg

160 microns:
bubble-hash-160-micron.jpg

120 microns:
bubble-hash-120-micron.jpg

73 microns:
bubble-hash-73-micron.jpg

25 microns:
bubble-hash-25-micron.jpg

So now what do I do with it (apart from the obvious)? Hash has never really been that big here. Do I have to cut it up really fine with a blade, let if fully dry then press it back together? Or are these little chunks ok?

And I've seen some people say that the 160 micron hash is no good, but I like the look of mine (to the eye and under the microscope). And I know many people usually prefer a certain micron, but could I just powder it all up and mix it all together? Make it all average quality instead of one better than the other?

If I just get rid of the 160 micron, or use it for cooking, that would bring my yield way down to 9g. Doing the math, that would make the hash super expensive (if I hadn't grow the buds myself):

Raw materials worth approx $650
15.3g yield = $42/g
9g yield = $72/g

So it looks like my yield might not be that great? Either way, it was an interesting process, and I did save buds that weren't really smokable.

Cheers HarleyDude. I ended up chopping it up quite finely to let it dry out (to stop any mold) and then pressed it back together. Kept them in the micron sizes, for now anyway.

By drying it then pressing, it did make the hash very hard - they're like small, round rocks. And drying it properly decreased the weight further, down to about 9g in total (all microns).

Like you said, good way to save bad smoke, but I probably wouldn't do it with my prize buds.

I save my trimmings, usually green in my freezer, along with failed buds. I seem to get a lot of failed buds :( so this forms the bulk of my trimmings bin. Dry trimmings make a lower quality of hash than green buds and leaves do. I don't use that 160 bag. I screen out the junk with the first bag which is 200 & something? And the 190- those are the two I use to remove non-hash with. I use the 120,73,and 45 bags and mix those together.
I do at least two but usually three runs of the trimmings. Second run usually yields almost as much as the first.
I mix all runs and grades together. I just form it into a big pancake and touch it up now and then so it stays an even thickness. Once it is almost dry I take it and work it in my hands and keep pressing it and forming it. It gets sticky enough to work with, but hopefully not too sticky, with just the right amount of warmth. Then I form it into squares or balls.
The 25 micron bag doesn't seem worth bothering with as it's a hassle to drain and the little hash it collects doesn't seem to be that great. Different strains may have different size trichomes though.
I usually save some samples of the hash from different size bags- 120/73/45 to see if there is much difference between them. It seems like there's usually not a huge difference, which is why I usually mix the bulk of it all together

The second and third washes are important! No telling how much goodness I tossed away the first few times I ran Bubble Bags and just ran the process once. Great Thread ... Thanks

Best Of Buds

JB
:Namaste:

Now have my art of bubble hash down to a T. First time years ago was crap but since then i have refined my technique.

Definitely 3 runs should be done. More can be done but the yeild isnt worth the time or effort for it. I use 220ų (work bag), 160ų, 120ų, 73ų and 25ų. I prefer joints so smoke all the grades including the 160ų although the best comes from 120ų and sometimes 73ų. I place patties on card (part dried with the pressing screen) and cut them as best i can into smaller pieces. This gives more surface area a chance to dry. After a few days i either roll the pieces into a chunk, or if powdery i try to place in a bag and put between tea towel and use pressure with a hot iron to get it back into a patty although it sometimes doesnt work (strain dependant). I then store my grades separately in glass jars, old joint cases from holland or an old pill box. Leave for around a month to 6 weeks and let it cure (like you do with weed), trust me on this, you'll regret not doing this sooner. Makes it really potent (nonsense about smashing trich heads with pressure as it still gets smoked anyway) and you will find that you can crumble straight off the block (like a bit of afghan black) and smoke it in your pipe ir bong or joint - my preference is a joint.

One last thing after doing three runs is to do a 4th run. Work your stuff as normal but then after pulling out work bag just run through the 25ų screen. Will collect all micron sizes from 25-219 but you'll be amazed at how much comes out. The 25ų does take a while to drain so i clean my screen with some isopropyl slcohol so that subsequent passes still come out as easy as if it a brand new bag.

I have tried curing BB hash just like bud, but I can't say I can tell a difference like I can with bud. I guess the smell and taste of cured bud is so much different that I notice it more. Or maybe it's that I will always smoke hash if I have it, and only smoke bud if I don't! I don't let it cure for 6 or more months because I smoke it first! Good post man

Best of Buds

JB

Yeah, same. I've smoked half of it after the first month. And the other half I've lost, dropped on the floor, rolled under the couch, swept into the garbage...

You will find curing makes a lot of difference. You cant smoke bud off a plant as the thc is not yet psychactive so you dry and cure. The longer bud is dried for the stronger it gets and the same goes for bubble hash. Only recently i started curing bubble hash and is miles better than freshly done. Even if you use dry trim rather than fresh wet trim it still helps to cure. What to do is make some bubble and put some in a jar and leave it for 4-6 weeks after it dried. Smoke some freshly made bubble once done and when the other stuff is cured then smoke that. Trust me you will notice a big difference. Try to cure it the same as buds. Burp the jar or take lid off a few times a day, or if youre lazy like me i do it just morning and nite an at random other times when am around.

Poor quality bud will still get decent bubble. And poor quality bubble is usually done by mixing the stuff too long and too vigorously which will also take through chlorophyll giving hash a green tinge. My mixing is done the same as above video except with a plastic spoon with holes in it. 1st pass has a 5 min mix then decrease a minute mixing for each subsequent pass.

Also jbuptown i suggest you try what i said earlier and keep some aside to cure and try against fresh.

Thanks Glasgrow,

What you are saying makes sense for sure. I do have a few grams in a bottle curing along side some 6 month buds. I hope it does make it better, but I can't complain about the quality as soon as it is dried! I'm a patient person, but for some reason my bubble hash gets burned up faster than anything. I was just reading a thread where a member is using a vibratory tumbler to agitate frozen cannabis to make hash as opposed to manual stirring. I have all the parts and can't wait until the weekend to give it a try. Looks like a great idea!

Appreciate the info

Best of Buds

JB

Are you doing manual stirring or you got a machine? A machine will take out the effort required so long as it not too fast. My mrs has a food mixer used for mixing cake mixture and dough with normal whisk hooks and dough hooks. I thought the dough hooks would be ideal so was gonna use it last night but after setting it up (not been used before) it seemed way too fast and didnt want to beat my mixture that much so just did it by hand (too fast equals more green crap going through). From a lot of videos and what i have read hand is definitely the way to go. This video (posted above) is perfect for me as i only got 1 gallon size bags. No more than 2oz of dry material gets used so that equates to approx 8oz of fresh, and if you got 5 gallon bags than use 5x that amount. Too much material will mean some trichs get trapped in the mixture. Also between runs keep your mixed trim either in the fridge or freezer till ready for the next run and also use the water that you have used for each subsequent run as it is still freezing cold. Takes me around 3.5 hours from start to finish for 3 passes of 4 bags and 1 final pass of just 1 bag (method mentioned in previous message).

Over time you get used to a method that best suits you and everyones methods differ slightly but the end result is the same. Jorge cervantes says you can do 5 or 6 runs from your trim. Personally after the 3rd run the effort and time required isnt worth the return. Only you will know after the 3rd run if it is worth doing another run that is why i do one final pass with a 2 minute mix in the work bag (most of the ice has melted by this stage but still sufficient to mix), 20 minute settle then pass through the 25ų bag which pulls a nice wee amount. After that it is just the dry for a few days, roll the various micron sizes into balls (if it sticks) then leave to cure. Like i have also said i like to smoke doobies so that my preferred way and bubble is too strong to smoke too much as i get baked. Once my final 2 bags of popcorn are done today i will post a pic of my winnings. Have been using just trim over the last few days, this final stuff is mostly decent popcorn buds with very little trim so am keeping this separate from the trim bubble.

20151216_175614.jpg
20151216_175622.jpg

Been a while since my last update. All in all i got around a half oz in total of all the stuff that i bubbled. The 1st pic shows just the kush that i bubbled, 160ų down to 25ų from left to right. The stuff at the very left is the final pass (4th run with just 1 bag). Shows you just how much you can leave behind and still a decent smoke. The other pic shows the difference between trim and popcorn trim, the lighter stuff being the popcorn. The popcorn stuff was sticky enough to be pressed into small blocks but the other stuff would not stick so put that into old joint cases i had lying around and left it as it was. Just sprinkle into joints when needed.

I have tried many agitation methods, my favorite being a Drill with 5 gal paint mixer attachment with large spiral arms. I can't justify a wash machine for my own small usage, but it sounds like it would be most gentle and physically easy. If I have time on my hands and want a workout, I use a small oar to agitate the ice and bud. Cured Buds are my favorite material to Bubble Bag, but doing so forced lump in my throat the first time I dumped a few ounces of Cured Buds into Ice Water. The remnants of my teenager mind screamed ... WTF!!!
:bravo::bravo:
If my Cured Bud is running low, green trim works good, and then fan leaves lastly, but I seldom get much good quality out of fan leaves. The Trim BH is less desirable to me, but it's not at all bad.

I need to figure out what to do to make my Bubble Hash look like what I remember from the 70s! My BH tastes right, it's effects are right, but it still doesn't look like what I remember 40 years ago! I was probably smoking hash derived from child labor in Nepal! I want to figure that out one day, but eye appeal really doesn't matter for my purposes, it's just a goal.

Best of Buds

JB

Back
Top Bottom