Old guy trying to learn about the extracts

JBUptown

Greetings 420Folks,

OK, I'm an old guy that knows Bud, Hash, Kief and Thai Stick (yeah I'm that old). I read and read, about Wax, Crumble, Dabs, Goo and other distillates of Cannabis, but I still seem to only become more confused by the verbiage. I have refined my Hash processes and can extract with the best of them, and I can also make some really good CannaButter.

I've searched many threads but cannot find a decent source concerning what is what, concerning these other distallates. Many other forums on 420Magazine have sticky posts up top consolidating good threads on a particular subject (Seed, Veg, Clone etc), but I can't seem to find such information in this forum.

I'm not too lazy to search and have sifted through many threads and posts, but can anyone recommend a thread or post a link or two pointing me to the definitions and processes to make the extractions mentioned?

Many Thanks
:Namaste:

JB

I think the names and ways they are made varry buy area or people. But I'll give you a basic run down.

Wax, Shatter, Honeycomb, crumble, and dabs are all pretty much forms of BHO ( Butane Honey Oil)

Dabs is more the method of smoking it. You take a "dab" on the end of a "dabber" and then put in into a heat up bowl and smoke it.

Shatter, wax, honeycomb, crumble and whatever else are all different formats of BHO.

From that I have read. It is about the temp that the Butane is removed from the concentrate, or how it is removed. Shatter is when the temp stays under around 90. You get a more brittle peice of hash in the end that is light yellow to brown. Wax is when it is cooked at a higher temp. maybe up to 160ish. It comes out more goooey and dark in color. Crumble is when you cook it at a higher temp and it gets more dried out and you end up with something more like keif.

That is how I figure it. But that's just my 2 cents.

Thanks for your responses JoseQuervo and WeaselCracker!

That information did help educate me on the lingo of all the extracts and concentrates. After much reading and learning, I do know that I'll never venture down the road of doing backyard chemistry with significant risk to my life and limb! I thought alot of the "explosions" I hear about on the news were Meth cookers, just assumed since that was the reason for so many years. Wow, I get liking hash, kief, etc., but count me out of anything involving heating chemicals that are volatile! I remember Richard Pryor lighting himself up back in the 1980s doing some kind of Cocaine volatile heating, and thought damn, that's a crazy thing to do just to get high! I do feel better educated concerning the lingo, every generation assigns their own and I've been out of the "youth" years for decades. Again, thanks for your knowledge and information.

:thanks:
Best of Buds
JB

Like everything else in life JB- it can be done safely. And there are always plenty of idiots out there vying for the latest Darwin award.

I totally agree Weaselcracker!

Unfortunately I have done a lot of dangerous things in my life, the most idiotic being performed between the ages of 14-20. I have usually (NOT every time!) mapped out the possible consequences of my potentially dangerous actions. Distillation of spirits, firearms, working in petroleum refineries, operating an array of various motor vehicles, industrial building construction ... many things I've done could have easily been my demise. Most of the US Industries that perform inherently hazardous work drill Operational Risk Management into employees heads on a regular and recurring basis. My real problem with people heating highly volatile solvents is all about location, location, location ... unless a person has plenty of open space, adequate separation from innocent neighbors, then just don't do it!

Just a few weeks ago, a local news source told a story about a Dunce that was using Butane to make an extract. Being half baked (mug shot photos confirm, very baked!) they decided to use butane to make something, the Duplex house they using renting and using as a chemistry lab blew up and badly injured three other occupants in the other half of the house including a 3 year old child. If folks hurt or kill themselves doing stupid things, well that's part of the risk one assumes when doing dangerous things (Darwin theory in practice!), but to expose others in a neighborhood or apartment complex to that kind of danger, well to me that's just truly criminal. Not trying to be preachy or above anyone, that's really not me. I truly hope that this pattern of crazy and stupid won't continue, it's only adding fuel to the Prohibition side of the debate.

Best of Buds
JB
:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom