Make ISO oil safely

Glasgrow

Well after wanting to make some iso oil but heard horror stories and problems making it i stumbled upon a thread somewhere about making it safely and employed some of that method to what i have recently tried along with something i found out by accident.

I recently purchased some 100% isopropyl alcohol from amazon, cost around £5 for a 500ml bottle. The main purpose of this was to give my bubble bag screens a right good cleaning as even though i clean after every use they were getting clogged up. After getting this i found a more effective method to clean the bags without the use of alcohol but will still use it to get the last of the trichomes off the screen.

Now what i do is once i have finished making some bubble hash i turn the bag inside out, put some iso in a small bowl and rub the screen in the iso between my fingers. This cleans the screen and any trichomes come off during the rubbing. I do this with any bags that have residue stuck on them. Even if you are lazy and dont clean your bags till your next use (not recommended) you can use the iso to clean as above. Once this is done you will notice that the iso has some sediment sitting in the bottom of the bowl. Nice lovely trichomes!

This next bit is the patient bit and also the SAFEST method to get these trichomes. I cover the bowl tightly with some clingfilm and use a pin to poke some holes in it. The clingfilm stops any foreign objects getting it like hair or flies. Leave the bowl somewhere that is well ventilated (beside an open window, i have a balcony so leave it there). The more alcohol you have the longer it will take to evaporate. Mine has been sitting outside for around 5 days and the above or below pic (wherever it appears in this thread) will show what has been left. Nice and sticky oil.

The next bit i havent completed yet but will be done either tonight or tomorrow depending on when i have time. You then heat your oven to 150-200 degrees (now am not sure if this is °C or °F) and place the bowl in for 3-5 minutes. This will completely safe providing you have given alcohol time to evaporate. If you are not sure then leave for an extra 24-48 hours, the iso is extremely flammable so you dont want to have any risk of setting the place alight. Once done then the residue will have slightly melted, scrape this together (with a razor blade) into a wee pile and leave to cool. After a few mins slide the razor blade under the wee pile and it should pop off. Use the oil as you so wish.

Once i have completed the final steps i will post up some more pics and a smoke report. This method saves all the trichomes from your bags that may otherwise get wasted and is also a very safe way to make some iso oil.

20150809_122243.jpg
20150809_122236.jpg

20150809_222645.jpg

Here is the finished product. Not sure on weight but at a guess 0.2g. Once cooled i rolled into a sausage (like soft black) and placed on greasproof paper for storing. This will sit in my tub of rolling gear and will take a bit off and place on a skin. Will then heat the skin (probably on a toaster) so the oil spreads and then add some tobacco and smoke. Did this years ago from a bong i cleaned out. Someone had put the skin on a heater by accident and i was livid. But upon thinking about things then thought it not too bad, you smoke the skin plus the oil with tobacco. Was mental. Smoked a tiny bit of this oil earlier, pretty wasted.

Love to hear any others that do this and see some pics and results here.

myself when i make oil i usually just mix cuttings in a mason jar with 99% iso and shake , both iso and cuttings being frozen for 24+h beforehand.
also i clean my vaporizer parts and bags with 99% using ziploc bags and easily get close to a gram of high quality golden/amber oil per half-3/4 of an oz vaped .
run thru 2 coffee filters in glass pyrex and use a hair dryer+ fan facing out a window to evap nicely and mm so good! will take pics next time the drug store stocks 99% :p

horror storys bout iso are from ppl that are dumb ie the same kinda ppl that would blow up a meth lab use common sense and theres no risk. :volcano-smiley:

cheers for the good topic !
:lot-o-toke::peace::party::ganjamon:

Well i weighed what oil i have and was right with my guess on weight - 0.2g, not bad seen as it would have been washed down the sink when cleaning my bags. It not proper hash oil but very close to it and it very sticky and quite hard so it easy to handle.

I do agree that common sense is paramount but not risking getting something remotely wrong to possibly cause an explosion or a fire. A fan along with a hair drier would speed things up but am in no rush and this method is for those that want to be safe and have patience, it also a method to clean the bags and keep what would otherwise be wasted. Alternatively if you want to turn trim or bud into oil then mix iso and trim/bud (which has been ground up), give a good shake or stir, pour through a coffee filter or if you dont have a coffee filter then use a 25u bubble bag screen and leave to evaporate.

One other point i forgot to mention and which i didn't do yesterday was once the alcohol has evaporated and before you put your dish into the oven is to scrape the residue into a wee pile or lump. Even after giving it some warmth in the oven it will still be very difficult to get it all off the dish so i used a skin to get off what i could. Bowl still has residue but am running some more bubble just now and this stuff is uber sticky so screens are a bit clogged after 2 runs of 1 bag of trim. Going to run the trim once or twice more and then got another bag of trim to run through 3 or 4 times. Am likely to clean the bags before i finish this first bag of trim and then do the same with the second bag - run twice, clean with the iso in the bowl and finish with 1 or 2 more runs then clean again. Cleaned using the same iso in the bowl and the same bowl that has residue in it. Once i get that oil from there then the bowl will be cleaned with boiling water to get rid of the residue.

So stay safe guys when making iso oil. A lot of ventilation is the key element if you do wish to use heat and please for the love of god do not used a naked flame - ie a gas hob or gas stove, alcohol fumes can accumulate and set fire without any prior warning. This method i have posted is the SAFEST way to make it without the need for any heat until you need to scrape from your dish at which point the alcohol has gone and there is NO risk. This method does require some patience as the alcohol will not evaporate overnight so make sure you got some herb to keep you going till it is ready.

Would like to add a further point. To speed up drying process place your bowl of plate over a bowl of boiling water. This will heat up the mixture but not enough to cause any problems as water will get cold. Replace every so often to keep the heat up. Got another bowl sitting on the balcony doing just that as i speak.
20150810_171003.jpg

A linen cloth or cheesecloth would keep junk out and it would evap much faster. Faster again sitting on a pan of simmering water.

I distill mine to recover my solvents for re-use. Cook it down until it's about 10% volume then pour it out into a pyrex pie plate then put that on a pot of simmering water on a hot plate in the carport and evap the last of it. I mostly use naphtha that I've distilled out of camp stove fuel. Makes cleaner oil than ISO or any other of the alcohols.

Butane is the one that causes most problems. You'd have to be a total asshat to cause a fire with ISO but butane takes a lot more care. Distills nicely without adding any heat and the oil is so clean. :)

Here's some really nice BHO I made from a pile of sugar trim and popcorn buds last year.

Oil_05.jpg

L8r

Dont have a cheesecloth but do have plenty of cloths. Never really thought about that but would need to give the cloth a good shake so no fluff, dust or wee hairs fall in initially. The thread was made in a bid for people to make oil without the need for any heat although since posting i have introduced boiling water to the process but this will not cause any problems, it is just to speed up the evaporation process. As for BHO it looks nice in your pic but personally i would not make it nor would i be smoking with the exception of perhaps a few tokes here and there if it was on offer. Have heard it can be quite nasty and the problems with making it are just too great. Iso for me all the way and although not left with an oil like consistency i still do like the effect of what is left.

Why do you think BHO is nasty? Very clean compared to ISO oil. As a pure hydrocarbon butane doesn't absorb the heavy waxes and the chlorophyll that can make ISO taste off. It's those impurities that make the oil all gummy like that. The first oil I ever made was almost all fan leaves ground up that I would boil in ISO for 4 hours then filter. Now that was nasty but it got you high, kinda. :)

When I said Asshat I wasn't referring to you but thinking of an old buddy of mine who put the pot of water on a gas stove and damned near killed himself when the fumes hit the flame and set the plate of ISO on fire. No explosion but when it lit up he threw water on it and spread the fire all over the stove. Got some nasty burns and made a mess of his kitchen. I use a little hot plate and do it outside. Rather than ISO if I'm going to use an alcohol to make oil I get EverClear, 190 proof alcohol. A lot more expensive but if I cook it off in the still I can drink it so it's not lost by evaporation. Or make a tincture that's safe to take.

Have you tried making QWISO or Quick Wash ISO? Keep the pot, ISO and any jars etc in the freezer. Pour the ISO into a jar with your pot and swirl it around until you see the first hint of green then pour it quickly through a coffee filter. Get a much cleaner oil that can be almost as pure as BHO and is actually oil. Or mix the oil with dry sift kief in the pie plate over the pot of warm water and get a nice black hash.

Fun stuff. :)

L8r

I did make a change to my method. I ground up some nice bubble hash from all grades and soaked in iso for a couple of hours. Filtered through a 25ų bubble bag then sat the bowl in a pan of warm water on the stove. It is electric so very little risk. The pan was on its lowest setting just enough to help with the evap process. Towards the end i mixed up what was left to create some small bubbles and then popped them. Once i was sure it was all done then put in the oven at 150°C for 6 mins, then scraped it up. A lot better than previous efforts and is very sticky - sort of soft toffee like. Has a nice sheen on it and it is very potent. Got 0.5g oil from around 1g of bubble, not sure on starting weight as i forgot to weigh it even though i had the scales sitting out to do so and also had the stuff sitting on the scales screen for ease of weighing.

Smoke report on my last batches of oils. Both pleasant stone and difficult to get into a joint. Need to smoke one from sober to experience full effect as recently been smoking oil, weed, and differnt grades of bubble from 2 different strains of weed. The bubble and weed were from trim that was kindly donated to me from a fellow site user and have all been curing for almost a couple of months now. The bubble crumbles like good old polm that didnt need any heat to crumble, it is also very stinky (in a good way) and also sticky when you crumble.

myself when i make oil i usually just mix cuttings in a mason jar with 99% iso and shake ,

We're so close to the 100 second hash oil tek I can feel it! lol

This is probably on 420Mag somewhere already, but the trick to 99% iso extraction is timing. The most common mistake is leaving plant material in the solvent for too long grabbing waxes, chlorophyll and the other undesirables. 100 seconds is all that is needed to grab the good stuff. I fill a quart jar half full of material and cover it with 99% iso. Maybe about 1/4" more than the material. As jaerock1984 noted, shake shake shake! Shake it like you want to kill it for EXACTLY 100 seconds and immediately pour through your filter(s). Evap with a fan at a distance in a well ventilated area. Cure in a warm dry place for a few days and one can get oil almost, if not, just as clear as butane. It may not be the highest yielding method, but no separation is need. As far as quality.. you get out what you put in.

Back
Top Bottom