Why I Am Bullish On Hemp

Katelyn Baker

Since April 17, I have been on an epic adventure RVing across the U.S. with one of my good friends Steve and his dog Arthur. The trip originally began in Utah, and since then we have traveled to Colorado, Arizona, Nevada, California, Washington, Nebraska and Oregon. Through extreme serendipitous luck, my friend picked up a magazine while we were in Oregon. In it he saw there was a hemp convention. We went to the convention and met a lot of very nice, informative people. I didn't know at the time that hemp has tremendous benefits that could have an impact on the world.

After I left the convention, I decided to read as much as I could on hemp. I learned a lot of amazing facts about a plant that had been banned in the U.S. until 2014 when President Barack Obama signed the farm bill with an amendment to allow industrial hemp to be grown for research.

Hemp is a bast fiber plant similar to flax, kenaf, jute and ramie. It is one of the strongest and most durable of all fibers; it holds its shape well, and it does not require herbicides or pesticides to produce. It also requires ¼ the amount of water that it takes to grow wheat.

Hemp has many benefits, but one of the greatest is the CBDs (cannabidiols) it provides. The CBDs have a wide range of medical benefits according to the British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology.

Building materials

Hemp-based building materials are often stronger than petroleum-based products. Building materials made with hemp core fiber include plastics, fiberboard, wallboard, roofing tiles, insulation, paneling and even bricks.

Hemp plaster/concrete (or "hempcrete" as it is called today) is said to be half as light, seven times stronger and three times more pliable than other concrete foundations. Using hemp fiber to reinforce concrete also reduces the amount of concrete needed.

Plastics made from hemp and other organics are nontoxic and biodegradable. Henry Ford used hemp-and-sisal cellulose plastic to build car doors and fenders in 1941. On video, Ford demonstrated that his hemp cars were more resistant to blows from a sledgehammer than steel-bodied cars were. The vehicles are lighter than steel and can withstand 10 times the impact without denting.

You can watch the youtube video by clicking here starting at 28 seconds into the video.

Alternative fuel

Biodiesel is the only alternative fuel that runs in any conventional, unmodified diesel engine. It can be stored anywhere that petroleum diesel fuel is stored. Biodiesel is safe to handle and transport because it's as biodegradable as sugar, 10 times less toxic than table salt and has a high flashpoint of approximately 300° F, compared to petroleum diesel fuel, which has a flashpoint of 125° F.

Biodiesel can be made from domestically produced, renewable oilseed crops such as hemp. Biodiesel is a proven fuel with over 30 million successful U.S. road miles and over 20 years of use in Europe. When burned in a diesel engine, biodiesel replaces the exhaust odor of petroleum diesel with the pleasant smell of hemp, popcorn or french fries.

The use of biodiesel can extend the life of diesel engines because it is more lubricating than petroleum diesel fuel while fuel consumption, auto ignition, power output and engine torque are relatively unaffected by biodiesel. The biodiesel alone could save hundreds of thousands of gallons of carbon from being released into the atmosphere each year, which would slow down global warming and the depletion of our ozone layer. According to the Independent Statistics and Analysis U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA), about 22.38 pounds of CO2 are produced from burning a gallon of diesel fuel.

EIA also estimates that U.S. motor gasoline and diesel (distillate) fuel consumption for transportation in 2015 resulted in the emission of about 1.105 billion metric tons of CO2 and 440 million metric tons of CO2 for a total of 1.545 billion metric tons of CO2. This total was equivalent to 83% of total U.S. transportation sector CO2 emissions and equivalent to 29% of total U.S. energy-related CO2 emissions in 2015.

According to Hempcar.org:

The lifecycle production and use of biodiesel produces approximately 80% less carbon dioxide emissions and almost 100% less sulfur dioxide. Combustion of biodiesel alone provides over a 90% reduction in total unburned hydrocarbons and a 75% to 90% reduction in aromatic hydrocarbons. Biodiesel further provides significant reductions in particulates and carbon monoxide than petroleum diesel fuel. Biodiesel provides a slight increase or decrease in nitrogen oxides depending on engine family and testing procedures. Based on Ames Mutagenicity tests, biodiesel provides a 90% reduction in cancer risks.

Legality

Currently there are seven states (Hawaii, Kentucky, Indiana, Minnesota, North Dakota, Oregon and Tennessee) that have hemp research crops in accordance with section 7606 of the Farm Bill and state law. Five states (Colorado, Kentucky, Oregon, Tennessee and Vermont) in 2015 licensed or registered farmers to grow hemp under state law.

The only setback for hemp (other than it is not currently legal in most states and throughout the world) is that it can not be used for cooking. Due to its essential fatty acids (EFAs) it should not be used for frying or cooking, but it can be poured over the food once it's cooked for extra flavor and nutrition.

In conclusion

Hemp is a miraculous plant that was recently approved for research by Obama. It has many incredible benefits including the ability to reduce climate change because it releases much less pollutants and co2 into the atmosphere. Hemp-based building materials are stronger and than petroleum-based products. Hemp also has a flashpoint of 300° F compared to petroleum diesel fuel, which has a flashpoint of 125° F. This makes hemp biodiesel a much safer alternative fuel option. Hemp is going to have a major impact in the future to help preserve the planet.

cbdbene.png

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Why I Am Bullish On Hemp
Author: Kyle Ferguson
Photo Credit: None Found

Back
Top Bottom