Woman Finds Business Opportunity In Hemp

Katelyn Baker

It's a plant shrouded in stereotypes and stigmas, but for one Tennessee couple, hemp has provided a new opportunity for business after a family trip nearly turned to tragedy.

Sitting on a dock in her farm Monday, Maggie Fox recalled the pain she has experienced this past year.

"We were crossing a cross walk, this lady just kept driving, just hit me, my mom and my son," Maggie explained. "She literally picked us up off the ground. I got thrown probably about 15 feet."

Maggie suffered the brunt of the hit.

"I had to have back surgery, they had to replace the disk in my back," she said.

In the weeks and months after the accident Maggie relied on prescription drugs to make her comfortable, but it was a trip to Colorado that introduced her to the benefits of CBD oil, which comes from hemp.

"It helped a little bit, it was a good relief," Maggie said.

Since weaning herself off of prescription drugs she's now using CBD oil three times a day and has been for the past five months.

"My back does not spasm up near as bad as it used to. I get to play with my kids. My kids are so happy because I couldn't pick them up, play with them, rough house with them," she said.

Her experience led to business idea, one she and her husband, Andrew shared - why not begin farming hemp?

"You could come out and begin growing hemp tomorrow, its that easy," said Andrew.

As army veterans they understand the benefits it gives those who suffer from anxiety or chronic pain. They knew it'd be a challenge, but one worth taking.

"After a year of OxyContin and seeing what it did to her and the family," explained Andrew.

They grew and harvested two acres of hemp in one year and in August they launched Veteran Grown CBD Oil.

"I want to help people get back to themselves," Maggie said.

The 2014 Federal Farm Bill states hemp farmers in Tennessee must be licensed and the seeds planted have to be certified. It can be a process to begin, but the Fox's believe it has been well worth the effort.

cbd6.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Woman Finds Business Opportunity In Hemp
Author: Jonquil Newland
Photo Credit: None Found

Back
Top Bottom