Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Should I use a Light Mover?

  1. #1
    420 Member SmokeyMacPot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,175

    Should I use a Light Mover?

    Light movers are mechanical devices that, as the name implies, move an HID in a fixed pattern over a garden. A light mover can increase the coverage of a light by 140%. The real advantage is MUCH more light is available to the plants when the light is in motion. With a stationary light all that is shaded will remain in the shade, but with a mover the light will hit from different angles giving better coverage.

    Light movers are found in 2 configurations: spinning arms (kind of like a ceiling fan) and along a rail that moves back and forth. The rail version seems to be much more popular with Overgrowers, probably because it will accommodate an air cooled fixture.

    Light rails come in a variety of lengths, but most can be cut to fit any application. Most growers prefer a "smart rail", that is, one that pauses at each end of the rail for a period.

    The biggest problem with air cooling a light on a mover seems to be dealing with air duct slack. Apparently, if the light is close to the tops of the plants, the duct may be dragged through the plants, thereby damaging them. Overgrow poster Ferret devised a solution: Use a curtain track, not a rod but the track that has all the little hangers inside that slides very easily. I screwed this to the ceiling of room and used light weight string to attach the air pipe to the little hangers in the track.
    As the light moved the track hangers moved along with the air pipe stopping the air ducting from dragging over your plant tops doing damage.
    The track cost about $15-$20 at any hardware or store. Simple to set up and it works .

    Author: Bongaloid

  2. #2
    Plant of the Month Winner DEAN420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    where the buds at!
    Posts
    1,490

    Re: Should I use a Light Mover?

    bump

    Very good info
    OVERGROW FAQ'S

    If humanity wishes to save itself from biospheric destruction it must return to living in natural time

  3. #3
    On Vacation Prescription's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    87

    Re: Should I use a Light Mover?

    This helped thanks

  4. #4
    420 Member Sensibowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    135

    Re: Should I use a Light Mover?

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeyMacPot View Post
    Light movers are mechanical devices that, as the name implies, move an HID in a fixed pattern over a garden. A light mover can increase the coverage of a light by 140%. The real advantage is MUCH more light is available to the plants when the light is in motion. With a stationary light all that is shaded will remain in the shade, but with a mover the light will hit from different angles giving better coverage.

    Light movers are found in 2 configurations: spinning arms (kind of like a ceiling fan) and along a rail that moves back and forth. The rail version seems to be much more popular with Overgrowers, probably because it will accommodate an air cooled fixture.

    Light rails come in a variety of lengths, but most can be cut to fit any application. Most growers prefer a "smart rail", that is, one that pauses at each end of the rail for a period.

    The biggest problem with air cooling a light on a mover seems to be dealing with air duct slack. Apparently, if the light is close to the tops of the plants, the duct may be dragged through the plants, thereby damaging them. Overgrow poster Ferret devised a solution: Use a curtain track, not a rod but the track that has all the little hangers inside that slides very easily. I screwed this to the ceiling of room and used light weight string to attach the air pipe to the little hangers in the track.
    As the light moved the track hangers moved along with the air pipe stopping the air ducting from dragging over your plant tops doing damage.
    The track cost about $15-$20 at any hardware or store. Simple to set up and it works .

    Author: Bongaloid
    Great advice. Haven't tried it yet, but looks like this will be the next update to my room.


  5. #5
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8

    Re: Should I use a Light Mover?

    I would Highly recomend a Light Rail!!! you could just use two lights. I love my light mover, It's constant and silent 6 or 10 rpm.. I have the 6rpm with adjustable pause on the end, It's the Cats' meow.

  6. #6
    420 Member datrippp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    373

    Re: Should I use a Light Mover?

    This is a great post, Ive been thinking of adding in a light mover to get more, & better coverage from my 600w hps. I think Im going to add the rail, its only $105 So its much cheaper than adding a 2nd light. we have a 10X12 room, that we made a 6x6 floor Pan to catch any water, I was thinking a light rail mover, would really let me get the best coverage for all my girls. Were gonna do 10 in a aeroponic/nft unit i built, and do 8 soil also. It will be 2 different strains. So do you all think a light rail will help? Also, my aero/nft unit is actually pretty compact. Its the style that stinkbud put up awhile ago.
    Its not that lifes short, your just dead for so long...
    "If at first you don't succeed, Wont hurt to smoke some weed" Dr. Dre
    Datrippps Aero/NFT hydro lemon skunk grow
    Datrippps 600w Hydro Aero/NFT Red Cherry Berry

  7. #7
    Plant and Nug of the Month Winner (July 10') Hogdady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    SF East Bay
    Posts
    2,788

    Re: Should I use a Light Mover?

    Light movers increase your light coverage by 125% to 140%. If you use 50 watts per square foot as your target, multiply your light wattage by 125% for a low figure and 140% for a high figure. Now divide your two figures by the square footage of your growspace to see what your watts per square foot is. For example, 600 watt light multiplied by 125% is 750, and multiplied by 140% is 840. If you have a 6x6 growspace, thats 36 square feet. 750 divided by 36 is 20 watts per square foot. 840 divided by 36 is 23 watts per square foot. In this example, you can see that 600 watts of light isn't enough. Most growers agree that 50 watts per square foot is optimal.
    THsea likes this.



    “Who are you to judge the life i live
    i know i'm not perfect and i don't live to be.
    but before you start pointing fingers
    make sure your hands are clean.”
    ― Jimi Hendrix





    June'10 Plant of the Month


    July'10 Nug of the Month


    Da Hog Shack (Completed)


    Hogdady's Current Grow (Completed)


    BUSTED! The Citizens Guide to surviving Police Encounters

  8. #8
    420 Member datrippp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    373

    Re: Should I use a Light Mover?

    Thanx Hog,
    So by using that formula, & the same 600w light without the light mover im getting 16.6w PSF (per square foot)
    600w /36 = 16.666666wpsf
    now with a mover
    600w X 125%=750 /36 = 20.8333
    so I'd really only gain about 4wpsf.

    Does that look correct anyway?
    Its not that lifes short, your just dead for so long...
    "If at first you don't succeed, Wont hurt to smoke some weed" Dr. Dre
    Datrippps Aero/NFT hydro lemon skunk grow
    Datrippps 600w Hydro Aero/NFT Red Cherry Berry

  9. #9
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8

    Re: Should I use a Light Mover?

    Look? I don't rely on any formula to make my mide up.... I look at my results, 4x8 tray 1000w hid switchable. My yeald is even and plentifull, I no longer have to buy a scrapp of med. I suplement with co2 at the middle to end of the flower. in relation to the mover, my plant are all equel in height and yeald. you might tell my that you gould get more. And I'm happy for you! Even more I'm happy for Me! If my light mover broke right now I'd be fuc ked I would burn one even row of girls. I am able to lower my light to the max with a fan, keeping the temp down. Bright low and flying on the Deck, Raze them or raise them right?

  10. #10
    420 Member Twelve12's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    City of Amber
    Posts
    3,509
    Blog Entries
    27

    Re: Should I use a Light Mover?

    Great idea. I wish they have a circular mover along with vertical/horizontal mover. One room can have 1K HID light that will be enough for me. Where can one find a place to purchase online?
    I'm a 100% vegan (no animal products or dairy).

  11. #11
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    14

    Re: Should I use a Light Mover?

    Quote Originally Posted by HighDive View Post
    Great idea. I wish they have a circular mover along with vertical/horizontal mover. One room can have 1K HID light that will be enough for me. Where can one find a place to purchase online?
    Amazon has them

  12. #12
    New Member PlantManager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    32

    Re: Should I use a Light Mover?

    Best hundred bucks you'll ever spend

  13. #13
    New Member a1phanum3ric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    15

    Re: Should I use a Light Mover?

    Great post I think however some of these folks arent quite getting it...50 watts per sq ft people mover or not even or not 50 wats per square ft people...lol I have a rail mover its higher grade then thoes cheap $100 ones you get online but thoes work for a while, anyway on my rail have a 1000 watt full spectrum MH and 600 watt HP Sodium = 1600 watts that puts me a little over 60 watts per sq ft for a big robusk yield, of coarse with all the other goodies co2, nutes, hygrozyme, and good circulation
    Last edited by a1phanum3ric; 10-12-2011 at 02:20 AM. Reason: mis spelling

  14. #14
    420 Member of the Month (Oct 10') TorturedSoul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.
    Posts
    5,068
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Should I use a Light Mover?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hogdady View Post
    Most growers agree that 50 watts per square foot is optimal.
    I thought that it was more like the minimum. Well, not the absolute minimum, but on the low side of acceptable.
    Respectfully,
    Tortured Soul
    Apathy is evil
    "At the end of the season of sorrows comes the time of rejoicing. Spring, like a well-oiled clock, noiselessly indicates this time." -Roger Zelazny

    HELP by visiting our sponsors
    PARTICIPATE by reading, learning, & teaching in our forums
    DECIDE by voting in our contests

  15. #15
    420 Sponsor
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    294
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Should I use a Light Mover?

    I really like this as a way to fully utilize the potential of my lights. I was amazed with the results when I tossed some CO2 in with my last grow, now I think for my next one I'll be looking into a light mover for sure. Slowly going to build myself the ultimate setup.
    VaporNation.com - Your Online Vaporizer Superstore

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast