Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: How do I germinate seeds?

Thumbs up Re: How do I germinate seeds?

I soak rockwool cube in room temp PH 5.6 tap water. plant seed direct in rockwool ,cover tiny hole with small piece of rockwool,just enough so baby can push through ,then place in dark spot , and water alittle when needed, This has been 100% for me. maybe I'm lucky....
    Everything i write is fictional and used in the situation where marijuana would be legal.All photos and comments were produced from search engines on the internet and free to all. Everything i post and write about is not reality and is for entertainment purposes only!.....................................:

On Vacation

Re: How do I germinate seeds?

^^^^ Nothing to do with luck, you just know what works for you!! Well done, thanks for the info.

nice, yea, bunch
    Last edited by Cozmo; 10-19-2009 at 11:20 PM.

Most helpful thanks!!!

Seeds can be germinated in different ways, depending on the intended growing environment. If you are growing marijuana hydroponically, you can germinate the seed directly on a small piece of the media that will be used in your hydroponic garden.

If you are going to be growing marijuana in soil, you can germinate the seed directly on the spot where it will grow. Simply place the seed where you want the plant to grow and cover it with about a half inch of loose soil.

Keep the soil around the plant moist (not wet) by spraying it with water (aged for at least 3 days) in a hand sprayer. Keeping the seed moist but not wet by spraying it may not be possible, especially if you are growing outdoors.

the best and easiest way i found to germanate my seeds is very simple
    all you need to do is get an airtight conttainer fill it halfway with water let the water sit over night drop the seed into it the next day and seal it up. the next bit is waiting for the root to show it can take from 1day to aweek so dont get worried if it doesnt come up right aways. as soon as you can see it plant it and your on your way to a healthy plant

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeyMacPot View Post
    There are different methods that prove successful:

Seeds can be placed between folded, wet paper towels that are kept moist and warm in an area between 70-85 degrees, such as on the top of the refrigerator. After a period of 48 hours to 2 weeks, the vast majority of viable seeds will crack open with a white root tip emerging. At this point, the seed is gently placed in the growing medium approximately 1/2 inch deep with the root tip pointed downward.

Seeds can also be placed directly into the grow medium with the pointed end facing downwards to germinate without the transplanting step. The medium is kept uniformly moist until the young seedling emerges on the surface.

It is not necessary to provide light before the seedlings break the surface, but it is beneficial to have strong light present from that moment forward to prevent excessive stem elongation.

Fluorescent lighting is satisfactory with cool white or higher color temperature tubes being preferable. Metal halide lighting is beneficial, if heat and moisture are monitored.

*Seeds prefer high light conditions once they have become rooted. They will stretch under most floroescents.

How can I increase the germination rates of my seeds?
    Contributed by: Lord Of The Strains
    Submitted: March 30, 2004

Pre-soaking your seeds before planting them is a terrific way to ensure a greater germination percentage and faster germination rates. There are a few different methods of soaking seeds; the two most popular being the “Paper-Towel Method” and “Standard” (soaking in a cup or similar object), both of which yield similar results if done correctly (taproot emerges in approx. 24 hrs.)

NOTE: Regardless of which method you employ, seeds should be soaked in a dark, warm environment for the best results. Once the taproot (tiny, white root-tip) emerges from the seeds, they are ready to be planted into the growing-medium.

1. Paper-Towel Method:

MATERIALS: Paper-towels (at least 2 sheets), 2 plates/dishes (or similar object), warm water.

PROCEDURE:

It involves placing the seed(s) onto a damp paper-towel (which is placed on a plate/dish, or similar object), and covering them with another damp paper-towel.
    For best results, use water that is a bit warmer than room-temperature (to compensate for any drop in temperature), and cover the plate/dish with another plate/dish (to prevent heat from escaping, as well as protect the seeds from light).

Also, using more than one sheet of paper-towel above and below the seed(s) will yield better results, as well as adding more warm water to the paper-toweling/bottom dish before covering the whole arrangement with the optional second plate/dish.

WARNING: It is imperative that the seed(s) are removed from the paper-toweling as soon as the taproot(s) has/have emerged; If the seed(s) is/are left to soak for too long, delicate micro-roots can be torn when the seed(s) is/are removed from the paper-toweling, which will temporarily retard germination/growth as well as stress the plant (which could possibly result in an unfavorable male/hermaphrodite).

2. Standard Soaking

MATERIALS: Cup/mug (one that retains heat well; i.e. ceramic coffee cup), plate/dish/lid (big enough to cover cup/mug/etc.), warm water.

PROCEDURE:
    In this method, the grower places his/her seed(s) in a cup/mug of some sort, which is filled with warm water. I use a ceramic coffee cup - as it is a good conductor of heat - and I cover it with a ceramic plate (again, to prevent heat from escaping, as well as shield seeds from light).

For best results, use water that is a bit warmer than room temperature (again, to compensate for any drop in temperature). It is normal for the seed(s) to float on the surface; just let it/them soak for a while then give it/them a little tap to make it/they sink (the best, most viable seeds will sink to the bottom). Although it is virtually impossible to over-soak seeds using this method, seeds should only be soaked until the taproot has emerged.

CONCLUSION:
    Both of these methods are equally effective if executed correctly. Most seeds should show their taproots within 24 hrs., and all seeds should show taproots within 48 hrs. (assuming you are using good, viable seeds).

TIP: (for soil-growers)
    If you want to further increase your germination rates, simply plant your seed(s) shallow; approx. 1-2 cm. deep. The seedling(s) should break the soil-surface within 24 hrs., or 48 hrs. for the most (again, assuming you are using good viable seeds – otherwise, it may take another day or two). Once the seedling(s) has/have sprouted, add a little extra soil at the base of the stem(s) for additional support and root-protection.

Author: MisterIto

420 Member

i put my seeds straight in to the wet rock wool, can i pop them right under the humidity dome with the light on or should i keep them somewhere dark until they sprout up?

thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vaporeyes View Post
    i put my seeds straight in to the wet rock wool, can i pop them right under the humidity dome with the light on or should i keep them somewhere dark until they sprout up?

thanks!!
    Doesn't matter. Just keep them warm and damp.

I have lost a lot of feminized seeds. Some people say to germinate and plant the seeds and keep them in the dark until the first leaves break through.

Others say to germinate, and plant seeds and put under CFL's immediately.

Which is it???

TIA
    Fast Freddie
    "Producer" Hydro Unit By BC Northern Lights

moisture warmth and darkness

3 things to try

rapid rooter, rockwool, or peat pod - plant with the pointed edge facing down.
    shotglass full of water - put it somewhere dark and not too cold. 60F is ok but 70F+ for better rates
    paper towel method - get it wet close it up lightly and put it on top of your fridge or in a sock or something somewhere dark.

put it in the dirt - cover it lightly with no large chunks of perlite or wood or anything heavier than light dirt - cfl it up - real close - the cotyledons won't pop out unless you have light there but you don't want light on the taproot or it can die. you gotta get the tap root in the soil and the cotyledons still wrapped in the seed will bust it apart and you can either remove it or leave it and the skin that comes with it.

420 Member

soak your seeds in a quart of water with a tablespoon of bleach soak overnight then take a damp cloth I like j clothes myself fold it putting your seeds in the fold thenfold againand put in a cool dark place check daily until they sprout. Using bleach kills any bactieria or mould on the seeds

What it comes to is common sense and learning not what is best for all, but what is best for you. I tend to look at how things grow naturally without human interaction, and then incorporate my own little trials and tribulations into it. I'm not sure using a bleach solution on my seeds would be beneficial, but then again i have not tried it so i would not know.

420 Member

if you dont like bleach use hydrogen peroxide 35%food grade but most people use bleach for laundry Ihave used both with success but I do prefer peroxide less harmfull to our eco system in fact most european countries use 35%peroxide for water treatment as well as public swimming pools by the way it is a natural product of nature also known as ozone but be very carefull follow the directions itis also dangerous check aerophonic supersonic on the net

5 pero
    Last edited by Happy Kitty; 07-14-2010 at 01:15 PM.

I use one tblsp hydrogen peroxide per gallon of water when i water my new cuttings. guess i will try it on the seeds!!

does adding miracle grow to the germination water and paper towel method help?? if it helps, how strong a solution?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast