Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Why are my Seedling's Stems Purple?

Why are my Seedling's Stems Purple?

DO NOT PANIC. A seedlings purple stem doesn’t necessarily indicate an unhealthy plant. Please take the following possibilities into consideration:

1 - Purple Stems could be a result of that wonderful thing we call genetics, if this is the reason, you are to expect a purple stem throughout the life of the plant. It must be noted that purple stems aren’t a dominant trait, and are rarely genetically induced.

2 - A baby sprout with a purple stem is almost always 100% natural. Young seedlings are still adjusting to their environment and may be slightly lacking in a Nutrient. If this is the case, healthy plants will regain their green/greenish-brown color within a few days to a week or two.

3 - If you have ruled out the possibilities of genetics and the seedlings adjustments to life, you should begin looking for a nutrient deficiency. Purple stems are commonly caused by a Phosphorous (P) or Magnesium deficiency, if there is a P deficiency you may also notice symptoms such as brittle leaves or greyish spots. To assist the uptake of Phosphorous (as well as most other nutes) you should ensure the pH is slightly acidic-- 6.0 will suffice.

Author: KidKind

420 Member of the Month - February 2012 Siscokid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Why are my Seedling's Stems Purple?

I tested the Ph today and I'm like at 7 is that bad?

Blog Entries

I try to keep mine about 6.3 and I have purple stems also, nothin to worry about!
    If it ain't broken, don't fix it!
    Puff Puff Pass Da Pakalolo, Bra!

Quote Originally Posted by sacccampbell View Post
    I try to keep mine about 6.3 and I have purple stems also, nothin to worry about!
    i agree dont worry about it if it looks healthy and purple stems are there might just be strain genetics!

I am running Dutch Passion`s Blueberry right now,and they do have purple stems from the get go. No need to worry about it right now. Watch your ph and nute levels all will be good.

Quote Originally Posted by proheto8008 View Post
    nine times out of ten if it is not extremely cold at night time then purple stems mean plant problems.

I would check my ph. If you are using soil check the p.h. of the runoff water.
    Once again,purple stems DO NOT MEAN PROBLEMS all the time! Some strains are purple from the get go. Blueberry being just one. My Blueberry seedlings were not even 1 week old and had purple stems. No need to worry at this time. Watch your ph and nute levels for now. Plus, proheto8008 stated that it has to be cold outside for the plant to show colors. Not the case either. Some strains do not change color unless the weather is colder some strains change whenever. You can almost bring color out of any strain with cooler temps. But strains like Blueberry need cooler temps to bring the colors out of the buds. Alot of purple strains are like that as well. But on the flip side of things,I have grown out purple strains that did not need a change for weather to dawn it`s colors. Best thing to do when NOT knowing if there is an issue is waiting and let the plant tell you there is something wrong. Because if you assume there is an issue and you fix what YOU think is wrong and it turns out nothing is wrong,you have just made a problem out of nothing. Have patience,all will turn out ok.

Blog Entries

My Purple Diesel and Super Silver Haze have purple in the stems ---- no problem ---- nothing to worry about! Don't create a problem if there isn't one! Oh my quote-------
    If it ain't broken, don't fix it!
    Puff Puff Pass Da Pakalolo, Bra!

yeah im growing green haze right now, both purple stems, but im sure it will go back to original color real soon.

I grow three varieties and one strain has purple stalk and stems.
    Do you know the strain? Have you grown it before? If you have and it was not purple before, then it could be a problem.
    check it out!

What if the entire plant it white from the start?

my stems were purple as they grow all is well !

This is more of a question than it is a comment or reply. I am having a slight problem controling the humidity in my grow closet. I am aware the the optimum humidity for the propagation of marijuana is 50% to 60% during the vegatative state, but the humidity in my closet stays at a constant 40%. I have since added a rather large pan of water in hopes of raising humidity levels, but so far nothing doing. So I have started spraying a little water directly into my grow room and that really does work for about two-hours, But i feel like that all I am doing is putting a band-aid on an bleeding atery. Any suggestions would be extremely helpful. Also th ph level is around 5.5 to 5.75. Is this detrimental to my babies.

If you are trying to increase humidity try using a cool mist vaporizer cost about $20 usd. this will work!

Thanx a bunch Wingman420. Where might I find one of these cool mist vaporizers?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast