Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: How Can I Make my Seedlings Stem Stronger?

420 Member

Re: How Can I Make my Seedlings Stem Stronger?

Quote Originally Posted by grandpastoner View Post
    It confused me. Is it possible that I could get away with growing my bud with just the lights I have now ? (8 cfls 4' long)

It REALLY is a budget thing more than ever !
    you definitely could use those lights all the way through harvest. I have vegged 6 plants using 4 t-12 bulbs, which is half the lighting you have

The trick is to keep the lights very close to the plants as they lose intensity over a distance. By the looks of your setup, the lights should be close enough when they get bigger to provide enough light on the side of the plant. I would get a couple of the spiral CFL's for above the plants though.

My seedlings are about 2 inches tall, i have a kind of a strong fan pointed at the ceiling because it is way too strong for them.. However, they all seem to bend or "hook" dramatically...What can i do to prevent this? My one babe was bending so bad it hooked down into the soil, so i fastened it with two tooth picks to hold it up, seems to be doing better and straightening out.

P.S i can't start my own thread yet? Sorry for posting over your thread.

EDIT: They are about 4 inches tall not 2 inches.

Spindly stems can not support heavy flowering growth. An internal oscillating fan will reduce your humidity on the leave's stomata and improve the stem strength as well.

The importance of your internal air circulation can not be stressed enough. It will exercise your plants and make them grow stronger, while reducing many hazards that could ruin your crop.

420 Member

man I hope I'm not screwing up...because I let my fan absolutely beat the hell out of my young starts...They're on day 15 now, and some of the weaker stemmed ones are hating it, but I'm hoping to make them stronger? hopefully I'm not just turning them all hermie...
    is too much wind bad or more of a good thing?

no comment

24/7 40inch fan-ventilator!

I always have seedlings with strong stems and my finished plants stems are the thickness of a broomstick. I NEVER have to support or stake any of my seedlings or plants. I sorta take my time growing them though. With optimal bright light and keeping the temps from getting above 70F will help encourage strong stems.

I've never heard of using a fan to "exercise" them, in fact I don't use a fan at all in my growing. Nothin hi tech here either, plain and simple setup. Tall, spindly, weak seedlings is a sign to me of inadequate light or too high of temps. Quality is so much better than cranking out poor plants with low quantity. Take time and grow them a little slower, it will pay off with big dividends!

or u can shake it weather then bending and risking a snap.

I have some spindly seedlings that didn't get enough light while we were on vacation (almost 6 inches and three sets of true leaves). If I LST them, could they support more weight when they flower?

Quote Originally Posted by grandpastoner View Post
    It confused me. Is it possible that I could get away with growing my bud with just the lights I have now ? (8 cfls 4' long)

It REALLY is a budget thing more than ever !
    Those are flourescents, not compact. you could move your seedlings closer to one of your bulbs. that would work for now. Your budding is gonna be hurt without something else (unless I missed something.)
    Which wouldn't surprise me at this moment.

420 Member of the Month (Oct 10') TorturedSoul's Avatar
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.
    Blog Entries

Those 40-watt tubes might be producing 3000 lumens each (more than a 39-watt CFL), but that light-output is across the entire four-foot bulb. Also, you would not have significant penetration into a canopy.

At present, I would think that a good portion of the light that they are producing is being wasted (although large quantities of light are not needed for sprouting).

If the space is large enough for a small HPS - say in the 150-watt range, or even possibly a converted 70-watt outdoor/security fixture - then it might be helpful to use one for top-lighting while keeping the tubes as supplemental light (with 6500K tubes to mix with the <3000K spectrum of the HPS, or with <3000K tubes to add to it).

But that would be something to worry about after plants have sprouted.

Sometimes you can find small-wattage HPS (like the 70-watt) fixtures on your local Craigslist, trading papers, or at surplus auction sites. But they will be in an all-in-one configuration and you'd want to remote the ballast and rig up a reflector setup that allows you to reorient the bulb to the horizontal (thankfully, HPS bulbs are universal - unlike many MH ones - and this would not affect bulb life).

A 70-watt HPS isn't great on penetration or output either, but should be better at each than 70 watts of CFLs.

Or you can add CFL bulbs.

Or you can redesign your space so that it is just wide enough to hold your four-foot fluorescents in a horizontal (flat) orientation, pack them in close together (the fixtures can be cannibalized and everything mounted to a wooden frame to get them even closer together), and run a scrog grow. That does much to work with their lack of penetration as you would be able to keep an even canopy. Assuming that your buds didn't grow very tall then tube type lighting would produce usable bud. AND if you've got 8' ceilings (or higher) then you could conceivably run TWO scrog grows (stacked) in the same amount of floor-space that you would require to run one. This is one way to work with the lack of penetration. It is also how the scrog idea came about.

So... A few options.
    Respectfully,
    Tortured Soul
    Apathy is evil
    "At the end of the season of sorrows comes the time of rejoicing. Spring, like a well-oiled clock, noiselessly indicates this time." -Roger Zelazny

HELP by visiting our sponsors
    PARTICIPATE by reading, learning, & teaching in our forums
    DECIDE by voting in our contests

Blog Entries

Marijuana.
    Peace Love Happiness Equality For Everyone

so heres what im working with... i cant figuer out why the stems wanna use the cup for support so much... i know its bad but i have been putting a fan on them during the day. ossilation of couse, but they get so tall and then they wanna lean on the cup... i wanna transplant them into a pot but i dont know if the stem's are ready any thoughts ????

Welcoming Committee - Member of the Month July 11' Captain Kronic's Avatar

They are stretching like that for a couple of possible reasons... your light may be too weak and or too far away... I run flouros no more than about 8 to 12" away depending on the heat produced.
    W/that said... it could also be that they are too cold and trying to get to the heat of the lamp!
    Also... as long as the stems are... I bet you have roots everywhere at the bottom of those cups... they don't look to have half the soil they could/should have!

Now... when you transplant... (very soon), just bury (another inch or two) some of that lumber so the plant isn't so tall... it will make them quite a bit stronger too!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast