Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By SmokeyMacPot
  • 1 Post By Tyrone Hamilton
  • 1 Post By retired again dude
  • 1 Post By OldMedMan
  • 1 Post By gstatus806
  • 1 Post By GigaGrew

Thread: What do I do if my plants are growing too tall after flowering?

What do I do if my plants are growing too tall after flowering?

Regardless of strain, the growth or stretch after switching to 12/12 will continue for about 1/3rd the entire length of the flowering cycle. So if they finish in 8 weeks, you have at least 2 and a half weeks of vertical growth to contend with after flowering.

Tie the top shoots down now! You don't have any other option if the plants are too tall for your space and you're already flowering... it's too late to trim them back and if you can't raise the light or lower the plants you have to tie them back.

Get some good staking points either on the plant containers or in the tray and pull down the tallest shoots until they are at a managable canopy level. They will revert back to top growth and be pointing up a few hours after tying them down. You won't get the big huge top colas but you will likely increase your yield.

Author: administrator

Re: What do I do if my plants are growing too tall after flowering?

I supercropped my big sativa during stretch, and it is working out nicely...

Bend them to where the top of the plant is lower than the bend made....this will also increase you end probuct....

420 Member of the Month - Dec 09', Nov 10', June 11', May 12', May 13' OldMedMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What if you want them to get large and tall?
    What I would like to know if there is certain way to use Bamboo sticks?
    I mean do you just jam them in the pot? I would hate to do that. Is there some way attaching the sticks without harming your plant? Also how tight would they be attached to the upper stem?
    I've searched for the way to do it, but nothing really found. Thanks

420 Member

I have the same problem, someone told me add more grow light. I hope I am doing the right thing adding more light and they are loaded with buds, I hope the lighting helps.

lst
    no matter what i lst anything over 3 ft
    jlt1202 likes this.

i agree with gstatus, lst is definately the way to go, it wont stress your girls and the great yeild has gotta be a bonus

LST - its a no brainer

Quote Originally Posted by jambo stoner View Post
    i agree with gstatus, lst is definately the way to go, it wont stress your girls and the great yeild has gotta be a bonus

LST - its a no brainer
    dumb question, what is LST?

Blog Entries

if it grows to tall in my space,,, i kinda bend it over TRYING not to break it,,maybe like i kink,, works good,,, slows the cola down a bit but help the rest of the plant out,,bend it low enough so you won't have to bend it again... had to do this with some blue dream,,, worked out great..... good luck.....
    its only illegal if you get caught...

expect the worst,,, you'll never be dissapointed..

420 Member

i didnt train mine and now im regretting not keeping them shorter. My plant is pretty 4' and the top is just about touching my light. The bottoms hairs are turning red/orange. But the top is still white hairs will turning hairs near the bottom of the top large bud.

Not sure if I should cut her down yet...?

I'm going to try the LST low stress training method instead of SCROG. This is my first grow.

Plant of the Month Winner - July 2012 JamesTheGreen's Avatar
    EMERALD TRIANGLE/PACIFIC NORTHWEST CALIFORNIA, MENDOCINO COUNTY.
    Blog Entries

OMM, if you have Tall Plants inside or out, Bamboo will help to keep them standing upright just fine. If You want the pole to support the Main Stem and top, you have no choice but to stick the pole in as close to your stem, Vertically as possible. It really will not hurt your plant, it might tear a few Roots, but that is no Problem. Tie your plant with garden tape to the pole, tie it, depending on the size of your Plant, about every 5-6 inches, all the way up the Plant. Use garden tape, because it stretches with the stem, as it grows, and you will not have to deal with your stem growing weaker in certain spots, because it is to tight. If you are wanting to tie your lateral growth as well, I put bamboo Poles on all four sides of My Plant, spaced equally apart, using the middle of Your container as the center Point to keep everything equi-distant from each other. Then You can affix your Plants Arms to the Pole, to help it with not breaking. I f You are outside, this method will work, but if it gets really windy or rainy, You are gonna have to do damage repair irregardless. The Poles Just give you a place to re-affix Your broken Branches Too, if they break!!! I have found that tomato cages, then these surrounded by a Concrete wire Round cage, works the best to keep things from breaking, especially if you are Outside and You Have not Topped, Super Cropped, or Femmed your plants, and left them in the shape nature intended them to grow, as they grow this way to help in keeping the Plant together, compact and tight like nature intended. If you are indoors, you can use smaller bamboo for the same things, and not have to worry about weather, the Poles make wonderful things to tie Your extra Heavy Kolas to, so they do not snap and break. I hope this made sense OMM, if not, PM me and I'll try to explain it again. I sent You a Friend request, I do not Know if You got it, but it would be My honor to have you as a Friend. If You do not do that, I understand!!! Take Care OMM. SINCERELY, JAMESTHEGREEN. Whoa, this a really old Thread, You Probably got this figured out long ago, SORRY, I should have looked at the dates. You Probably will not even get this!!! If You Do, CHEERS!!!