How Do I Tie Down My Outdoor Plant?

Smokin Moose

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex Moderator
Benefits of tying down:
* Increases yield
* Security
* Promotes branching (increases bud sites)
* More sun coverage

All these are positive attributes. Which in the long run, will distribute light to your plant/plants evenly (Instead of one side receiving morning light, and the other receiving the afternoon light).

You can start tying down whenever you want. But preferably when the plant starts to produce branches. Tying down now will enhance branching. Why? The sun can easily penetrate the canopy, which will distribute light equally.

When your plant is ready to be tied down:

week 1: Start off lightly

Tie string or fish line approximately 1/3rd down from the top. Tie the other end of the line to an obstacle on the ground, making sure your plant isn?t straining

5 days later: Inspect growth

By now if your plant has received quality amounts of light, you will notice your leaves facing upwards (reaching for the sun). Your plants will try to receive as much sunlight as possible. Obviously it would have grown a certain amount as well; this is why you will need to attach more line to the middle of your plant, tying the rope down more than you did previously.

Several weeks later

Keep tying your plant down as necessary until branches start to pierce the canopy. Leave these branches to grow.

When branches start to flower, you will have to be cautious. Branches that get too long will not be able to support the heavy bud it is producing. This is when you will have to start tying the branches either down, or pulling them up, depending on the circumstances.

Suggestions:

* Make sure you determine if your plant is female before you commence tying down!

* Figure out where the sun is casting its shadows before commencing. Remembering to tie down in the direction the sun is mostly cast upon through out the day.

first day,behind

first day, front

behind (1 week after)

1st plant (1 week after)

bud sites showing (2 weeks later)

front (week 6)

Comments by: ixnay007
Tying down has about the same effect as topping, although with much less stress on the plant. That said, tying down can be done during early flowering, but if you can you might want to do most of your tying during veg, and when you get to flowering, you can do some minor adjustments.

When you tie down, the growth hormones are relocated to lower branches, so you probably don't want to be doing too much to change the plant's focus during flowering. That said, I don't think it's going to change all that much, but in general, trying to keep your plants as unstressed as possible is always good.

If you do your lst right, you can end up with this.
perfect_lst.JPG

I find this combination works well outdoors using garden twine and a small flattened river rock (or any small rock).

1. Tie a slip knot loosely over the branch about 4 to 5 inches from the growth tip The slip knot loop should be about 1.5 to 2 inches in circumference.
2. Let the string drop to the ground at about a 60 degree angle and wrap the string about 4 to 6 times around the rock. Cut the string.
3. At ground level, gently pull the branch down wrapping the string around the rock until the branch has the desired bend.

Advantages of this method is that it is not obstrusive, you can tighten or lengthen the string as your plant grows upwards, and you can loosen the slip knot and move the string and rock to train another branch.

:nicethread:This technique seems like it mat be a perfect fit for my situation. As of yesterday my two best girls are 7' tall and still going, outdoors and I fear detection. They should be flowering in a week or 2 or 3. Is there a down side and what should I watch out for in attempting this? Thanks in advance. I love this place!:)

:nicethread:This technique seems like it mat be a perfect fit for my situation. As of yesterday my two best girls are 7' tall and still going, outdoors and I fear detection. They should be flowering in a week or 2 or 3. Is there a down side and what should I watch out for in attempting this? Thanks in advance. I love this place!:)

At first I supercropped but then noticed that the kink/bend automatically worked to right itself but with more branching above and below the kink and didn't give me control on directing light to the lower branches. That's when I turned to tying down the branches.

Advantages of tying I think are:

• less stress since there is no kink and required healing
  • control over where you let in light to the inside and lower branches
  • makes for a bushier tree with lots of bud sites
  • great control over height as long as you have sufficient space for width/depth
  • Rocks as mobile weights allow all the flexibility of tightening or loosening string as well as moving the string through all planes.
Things to watch out for:

• Bend from the softer growth end of the stem
  • Avoid undue stress at the internode (especially since your tree is quite mature)
  • To get more bend on stiff branches, first stake and tie the branch to the stake at its halfway length, then bend the branch from its softer extremity.
I have been keeping my sativa at 5 feet below the line of my 6.5 foot fence while it has turned from spindly to bushy and full. Do you have a pic of your ladies?

Hopes this helps. :)

At first I supercropped but then noticed that the kink/bend automatically worked to right itself but with more branching above and below the kink and didn't give me control on directing light to the lower branches. That's when I turned to tying down the branches.

Advantages of tying I think are:

• less stress since there is no kink and required healing
  • control over where you let in light to the inside and lower branches
  • makes for a bushier tree with lots of bud sites
  • great control over height as long as you have sufficient space for width/depth
  • Rocks as mobile weights allow all the flexibility of tightening or loosening string as well as moving the string through all planes.
Things to watch out for:

• Bend from the softer growth end of the stem
  • Avoid undue stress at the internode (especially since your tree is quite mature)
  • To get more bend on stiff branches, first stake and tie the branch to the stake at its halfway length, then bend the branch from its softer extremity.
I have been keeping my sativa at 5 feet below the line of my 6.5 foot fence while it has turned from spindly to bushy and full. Do you have a pic of your ladies?

Hopes this helps. :)

Thanks! I'm going to give it a shot this weekend. :peace:

perfect_lst.JPG

Well this is my current LST attempt, first time, she didnt go as i planned, but now she has made a nice shape so far for the main branches to grow vert, there is nice bud shoots growing out already some are nearly at the top of the canopy. As this is indoors, im moving the light every 4 hours a few inches. If her lower bud branches grow out past the main branches theyre on, will this be ok, or should they also be tied down?? I want em strong so was gunna let em go and tether if needed? Whats your opinions guys??
2012-08-05_20_10_00.jpg

Smokemup...:thanks:

Benefits of tying down:
* Increases yield
* Security
* More sun coverage

All these are positive attributes. Which in the long run, will distribute light to your plant/plants evenly (Instead of one side receiving morning light, and the other receiving the afternoon light).

You can start tying down whenever you want. But preferably when the plant starts to produce branches. Tying down now will enhance branching. Why? The sun can easily penetrate the canopy, which will distribute light equally.

Tie string or fish line approximately 1/3rd down from the top. Tie the other end of the line to an obstacle on the ground, making sure your plant isn?t straining

By now if your plant has received quality amounts of light, you will notice your leaves facing upwards (reaching for the sun). Your plants will try to receive as much sunlight as possible. Obviously it would have grown a certain amount as well; this is why you will need to attach more line to the middle of your plant, tying the rope down more than you did previously.

Several weeks later

Keep tying your plant down as necessary until branches start to pierce the canopy. Leave these branches to grow.

When branches start to flower, you will have to be cautious. Branches that get too long will not be able to support the heavy bud it is producing. This is when you will have to start tying the branches either down, or pulling them up, depending on the circumstances.

Suggestions:

* Make sure you determine if your plant is female before you commence tying down!

* Figure out where the sun is casting its shadows before commencing. Remembering to tie down in the direction the sun is mostly cast upon through out the day.

first day,behind

first day, front

behind (1 week after)

1st plant (1 week after)

front (week 6)

Tying down has about the same effect as topping, although with much less stress on the plant. That said, tying down can be done during early flowering, but if you can you might want to do most of your tying during veg, and when you get to flowering, you can do some minor adjustments.

When you tie down, the growth hormones are relocated to lower branches, so you probably don't want to be doing too much to change the plant's focus during flowering. That said, I don't think it's going to change all that much, but in general, trying to keep your plants as unstressed as possible is always good.
My first grow and I'm taking your advice cause I'm running out of room in this greenhouse. Thanks jymorgande67@gmail.com

I have question about this topic. You tie down your plant and when it come to flowering stage, you remove wires that are tying down the plant or not ?

wait til after stretch. about two wks in to flower. usually hold their shape til finish by then.

edit: since here anyway - one member used electrical tape to tie and train outdoor. looked to work very well, and had some stretch, so did not cut in to the plant.

Benefits of tying down:
* Increases yield
* Security
* More sun coverage

Several weeks later

Suggestions:

first day,behind

first day, front

behind (1 week after)

1st plant (1 week after)

front (week 6)

Remind me how you tell if a plant is female? Like if I found one or two random seeds in a Q of really decent herb— how the heck do I know if those seeds will be male or female? I was thinking of just putting down one plant just to see what happens.....I mean that’s what I’ll do when I go visit my friend in Colorado. NC is ass backwards in this area...

perfect_lst.JPG
That is awesome!! Man if my aging parents didn’t live in NC I’d have moved to a state where at least medical marijuana would be available; I’d say PTSD and anxiety/ panic disorder (note how i am NOT asleep at 4:15 am. Oh whoo hoo five more minutes till I hit this mid grade crap which is all I have except resin :(. It’s cool I get paid some tomorrow. So I can get a salad tomorrow, ahem. I wonder if this woukd work with any other plants and herbs....

Back
Top Bottom