Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: How long should my clones take to root?

Re: How long should my clones take to root?

Okay, started my 4th set of clones today.

If anyone can tell me why my stems keep turning to mush, I would very much appreciated it. Maybe someone brilliant out there can help save this group.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziminy View Post

If anyone can tell me why my stems keep turning to mush, I would very much appreciated it. Maybe someone brilliant out there can help save this group.
    Trichoderma products, and stuff that will help if you water it in:

Large Picture

General Hydroponics General Hydroponics: FloraShield , quart - Style # 704030, General Hydroponics,General Hydroponics nutrients,General Hydroponics 3 part,General Hydroponics nutrients,Flora Bloom,General Organics nutrient line

Amazon.com: Physan 20: Kitchen & Dining

Florashield is probably your best bet because it's not as harmfull as Physan, but Physan 20 will kill anything. you's use very very little, and NO more fungus, bacteria, anything. Physan is what I used to use on my cuttings, but you don't wanna get any on you, and if you add too much you'll kill your babies. Works wonders though if you follow directions. Trichoderma is more of a preventative, but if added from the very start will work against any fungus/bacterial problems down the road.

Hope that helps.

Your humidity may be to high and your rooting "vehicle" may be to wet. When cloning, I like to keep both the humidity and the temp at about 72 consistantly throughout the entire time until roots appear. I use a tray and high rounded dome to root them in. I use Rapid Rooters and Clonex rooting solution mixed with water to use in the tray. I do not mist them ever throughout the entire time they are in the tray, only after they are in medium and then for a few days until they take and get growing. My clones are dipped in Clonex Gel and set into the root plugs about 1/2-3/4 of an inch. Do not bend the stem or crush it when sliding it into the plugs as this will also cause "damping off" which is what is happening to your babies. For lighting I use a shop light with two 40 watt 4' tubes, warm and get roots within 8-9 days every time, hope this helps...

I also am new to cloneing I recently took two shoot cuttings from a grape ape sliced on 45 also sliced. Stem a lil I used rooteck jel diped right into jar hope it works any comments please

Quote Originally Posted by tommygunz View Post
    I also am new to cloneing I recently took two shoot cuttings from a grape ape sliced on 45 also sliced. Stem a lil I used rooteck jel diped right into jar hope it works any comments please
    The cutting of the clone before insertion into the rooting compound, is the most important cut. You can take a cutting from the mother plants carefully using a sharp scissors but the cutting of the "new" baby should be done with a razor on a firm surface, a cutting board, and should expose as much as the inner part of the stem, the pulp if you will, as possible so try to angle your slice to this degree. I prefer rooting gels over powder forms and have always had great results using Clonex Gel and also Clonex Rooting Solution for my tray's. The gel is actually a growth hormone that enables the new plant to form roots. It's not a nutrient per say. However, unless your lighting, heat and humidity are cool also and to the liking of your girls, than it will all be for naught, hope this helps...

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
    Your humidity may be to high and your rooting "vehicle" may be to wet. When cloning, I like to keep both the humidity and the temp at about 72 consistantly throughout the entire time until roots appear.

Thank you so very much. After doing a forum search on "damping off" I think you are correct. I put a heating pad under my box and the temp was at 82. My house is NORMALLY 72. So I removed heat.

I am also now leaving the lid slightly ajar. That should keep them a little dryer.

Every guide I read said that heat and moisture are your clone's friends. It never occurred to me that this would be the WRONG thing to do. Especially since the advice to almost everyone with clone problems is more heat and moisture.

Cool and Dry! Lesson learned.

Thank you so very much. After doing a forum search on "damping off" I think you are correct. I put a heating pad under my box and the temp was at 82. My house is NORMALLY 72. So I removed heat.

I am also now leaving the lid slightly ajar. That should keep them a little dryer.

Every guide I read said that heat and moisture are your clone's friends. It never occurred to me that this would be the WRONG thing to do. Especially since the advice to almost everyone with clone problems is more heat and moisture.

Cool and Dry! Lesson learned.
    Just keep the temp and humidity both, at around 70-72 consistantly, no fluctuations, until roots appear and you should be good. To much or to little of both will give you problems...

I use a set up very similar to this one,
    DIY DWC Cloning Tutorial (easy cloning)

I have had 100% success using this method with 14 out of 14 succesful clones this far. I only use 6 sites and I don't use any gel, powder, vitamins or nutrients, just plain water, not even ph balanced, and a heater to maintain 78*F in the water. I submerse about 1/2" to 1" of the stem into the water and have roots in less than a week. I use rockwool cubes in 3" pots to suspend the clone above the water.

Basically a mini DWC.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
    Just keep the temp and humidity both, at around 70-72 consistantly, no fluctuations, until roots appear and you should be good. To much or to little of both will give you problems...
    And add your beneficials as soon as possible!

AND GO GREEN!!!

I may have solved my original posted cloning problem. I lined the bottom of my tray with about an inch of Roots Organic soil, moistened with water mixed with KLN rooting liquid and a couple drops of thirve alive. I dipped the oasis cubes into the same mixture and drained them. I then took my cuttings, dipped them in Clonex jell and placed them directly into the cubes. I covered them with a dome and misted the tops for the first couple of days. They were placed under a four light T-8 system, just about touching the dome. After 6 days I had beautiful roots on 90 of the 96 I cut, the other six popped two days later. I noticed that the soil remained moist and warm during the entire process... Thanks to all who wrote with suggestions and advice. I have learned a lot from all of you... Happy growing..

Someone earlier mentioned that rockwool can hold too much water, which I agree with. I like to soak them in R/O water PHd down to 5.5 by adding a bit of pure peat. After they have soaked for about 24 hours I "sling" some of the water out without squishing the cube.

I agree with BC33, keep it cheap and easy. I used to work in a greenhouse where cuttings were taken by the thousands with scissors, planted into promix and misted a few times a day. 99%+ success rate. So I scrapped the razor, the expensive gels and even the humidity dome (if you are right on top of them every day).

Things I remind myself:
    *If using rockwool, PH the cubes, sling excess water out
    *Make sure not to crush the stem when you make the final cut. Make a quick, sure cut with sharp, clean scissors.
    *Rooting gel or powder is not necessary, but it will increase the speed of rooting. Cheap $5 powder works fine.
    *Insert the stem carefully into the rockwool, tuck it in so it is secure
    *In most cases, dome is not necessary. Mist the clones a few times a day for the first three days with PHd water to avoid wilt.
    *Don't let the rockwool dry out completely, but don't drown them either

I end up with about 95% success rate and they are ready to transplant in 9-14 days. Maybe the speed could be improved but in the interest of keeping costs down, I am fine with two weeks.

The peat in the soak water seems to significantly decrease yellowing. lil Snowdawgs @7 days:

I think I've tried just about every possible way to clone, from simply taking a cutting and sticking it in a glass with a little water in it, using rockwool, peat pellets, coco coir, fogponics, Deep Water Culture and aeroponics. I've had success with each method, and I've had failures with each method. There are about as many ways to clone as there are people to tell you how they clone. I guess, in the end, it's up to the user to find a method that works for them. Speedwise, the best luck I have had is a tie between Deep Water Culture and aeroponics. It also depends on the strain, were they in veg or flowering? I've taken many cuttings from flowering females, and done so with great success. I do try to take them from the absolute lowest part of the mother possible. Even so, it usually will cost you about 5 days or so delay in rooting them, even if they are a low cutting shielded from most of the light. As soon as the cuttings are well rooted (at least an inch diameter of roots forming a halo) they go into expanded clay as the only media and are fed with 1/4 strength nutes based on the early veg scale for the first week, then resume as directed for a week one cutting. I use tap water with root excellerator ph'd at around 5.8.H&G Root Excellerator is always added at 1.1ml per gallon. Guys, this stuff REALLY works, and I attribute consistent success party because of this product. I have seen this product (in my last grow) restore a VERY bad case of Pythium root rot from elevated reservoir temps. Just my 2 cents worth...
    -Peabody

420 Member

Quote Originally Posted by ToastyRoadie View Post
    I use a set up very similar to this one,
    DIY DWC Cloning Tutorial (easy cloning)
    I built a 20 site bubbler similar to this with supplies on hand, just needed to buy a $6 drill bit... Now I dont feel so bad for over buying aquarium gear.

I have had 2 successful clone runs so far with 100% success. I really like the fact you can see the roots develop and then put them straight into coco. As mentioned above roots accelerator really helps. I saw roots on day 5 1st run, day 7 2nd, by day 10 there was a lot of root action and after 14 days I transplanted some really big root systems, a few had small roots and just developing but most were robust...

I had temp at 70, this time 3rd run, I removed heater since weather is warmer... maybe they'll take longer.

I foliar with light nutes, I'm thinking about adding nutes to the bubbler after around day 8 when roots are busting out?

Quote Originally Posted by bizz View Post
    I built a 20 site bubbler similar to this with supplies on hand, just needed to buy a $6 drill bit... Now I dont feel so bad for over buying aquarium gear.

I have had 2 successful clone runs so far with 100% success. I really like the fact you can see the roots develop and then put them straight into coco. As mentioned above roots accelerator really helps. I saw roots on day 5 1st run, day 7 2nd, by day 10 there was a lot of root action and after 14 days I transplanted some really big root systems, a few had small roots and just developing but most were robust...

I had temp at 70, this time 3rd run, I removed heater since weather is warmer... maybe they'll take longer.

I foliar with light nutes, I'm thinking about adding nutes to the bubbler after around day 8 when roots are busting out?
    I use one to get the roots started then transfer to another cloner once the roots are 2" long and then add nutes to that one, keeping only plain water in the rooting bubbler.

I use a Hydrofarm heating mat, tray, humidity dome, and rapid rooters, with no cloning gels whatsoever. I have 100% success with all my clones. The key is keeping the rooting medium warmer than the air. Some strains root quickly, within a week, others I have had to let go up to a month. I have even had success rooting fully matured plants by taking small bottom branches with less flowers.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast