How do I regenerate rejuvenate reveg a plant after harvest?

Smokin Moose

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex Moderator
After the buds are harvested, you may realize just how much you want to perpetuate a plant you neglected to take cuttings from. Cut the main stalk down to the point where below several growth tips or buds are remaining. Return the plant to a vegetative fertilizer and photoperiod. Over the next several weeks, the plant will elongate and devlop new upward growth. It is very important not to overwater the plant after it has been cut back. The reduced above ground plant structure is still being fed by the entire existing root system, which can cause an excessive amount of water uptake and the resultant stress associated. The use of products containing ammonium form nitrogen, such as chicken manure or Genesis Formula Grow 2 will encourage rapid growth and stem elongation. Trace element supplemenation, co2 and 24 hour lighting are helpful.

Yes, indoors is the only way to go. You can control everything from the light to the nutes to the temperature.

The outdoors is certainly a great place to grow naturally, but when you want super duper results, you need to move things inside..........

The outdoors is certainly a great place to grow naturally, but when you want super duper results, you need to move things inside..........

Gotta disagree here. When's the last time you saw 2 lbs dried yield from one indoor plant? Mother Nature does it best!

Yes, indoors is the only way to go. You can control everything from the light to the nutes to the temperature.

Perhaps, but places like Hawaii where the climate is milder then I have heard of plants that are outdoors and are well over 2 years old and have been flowered quite a few times.
Where I live in Australia, we have 6 seasons; here it would be possible outdoors, especially in Queensland or the north of New South Wales, where the climate is mild.

For most of us, it has to be indoors, as it is best to use more than the long day cycle(and the plants to respond better, especially in the early stages of regeneration to 24 hours of light) but warmth also is a trigger for the plant to revert back to growth.

It is a shame to discard a plant that already has an established root system and main stem; once reverted all the plants energy goes into producing stems and green growth.
I am pleased you find my post of interest.
happy growing

Gotta disagree here. When's the last time you saw 2 lbs dried yield from one indoor plant? Mother Nature does it best!

I cannot argue with that. spot on! Any form of artificial light is paled by the sun.

Without the sun we all are lost, for the plants love to bathed in its light,
but some must run and hide,
and never know its might, to grow and bloom;
Under the midnight sun they bloom, and spread their wings and take flight

i am pleased you found my post interesting,
happy growing

:focus::focus::lot-o-toke:

Anyone have any more info on regeneration and the chances it will succeed ? I have currently 7 plants from high quality bag seed, 4 of them are looking very clone-worthy and nothing was taken during veg (im very inexperienced still). I will be definitely trying to re-veg these ladies after harvest.

Would using molasses or leaving the lights off for a few days before harvest affect anything?

Perhaps, but places like Hawaii where the climate is milder then I have heard of plants that are outdoors and are well over 2 years old and have been flowered quite a few times.
Where I live in Australia, we have 6 seasons; here it would be possible outdoors, especially in Queensland or the north of New South Wales, where the climate is mild.

For most of us, it has to be indoors, as it is best to use more than the long day cycle(and the plants to respond better, especially in the early stages of regeneration to 24 hours of light) but warmth also is a trigger for the plant to revert back to growth.

It is a shame to discard a plant that already has an established root system and main stem; once reverted all the plants energy goes into producing stems and green growth.
I am pleased you find my post of interest.
happy growing

Thats pretty cool actually, did not know they did that outdoors but I guess climate rules all!

I once had a plant go hermie halfway through flowering. I whacked it out of my scrog screen without any thought. Then I discovered I had no clones and I very much did NOT want to lose the strain. Plus, knowing I could MAKE it go hermie at will gave me a tool for producing feminized seeds, so I wanted to keep it BAD. After a lot of quick research I was able to salvage the plant. Luckily I had left some greenery on it, which is pretty much the base requirement.

Here is the best way to successfully reveg a plant. When you harvest, whack off the top third of the plant. Don't take anything from the bottom third - at all. If you're like me though (I do scrog), the bottom third has nothing on it anyway, so... The middle third is the key. Leave small buds at the end of each branch you keep. Doing this keeps the "blood vessels" working and keeps that branch alive. Any branch you leave with nothing just dies. It is critical to leave enough greenery for the plant to survive until reveg kicks in and it starts putting forth new growth.

Basically if you take everything it is a dead plant. Period. You MUST leave some buds there - preferably the smallest buds - and there must be enough of them to do photosynthesis adequately.

Yeah, you lose some of your harvest, but the idea is to salvage the plant, not whack every flower for your harvest.

Light: 24/0 is your best bet, and use a CFL bulb with a reflector about 3 inches from the plant (going with 100 watt equivalent bulbs).

Nutes: Start with a mix of half and half - half veggie and half flower nutes, and feed 1/4 strength for a few days to a week, then up it to 1/2 strength. Now here I'm talking about half or a quarter of what you regularly feed, not half or a quarter of the amount they say to use on the label. How much water? I'm a pot lifter. I feed when the pot starts getting light. But keep the water light until you do have new growth. Wet it dies. Moist is all you want, and barely moist at that.

Transplant? No is my advice. Don't do anything else until you have new growth. Once you DO have new growth you can start thinking about re-potting it. I do not re-pot as a rule, and I have one plant I've been revegging and flowering for 2 years straight.

IF you are going to transplant, wait until there is new growth. Then slice off an inch from all sides, and 1 or 2 inches from the bottom of the dirt ball. Don't worry - she can take it, and she will appreciate the new room for new roots you are creating here. Then repot, filling the bottom and sides in with fresh soil mix.

Some say after the 2nd harvest the plant starts losing potency. I don't buy that.

You won't have 100% success. Sometimes they start putting out new shoots and then they just die. But with any luck and if you pay attention, don't over/under water, keep the light ON until you see new green, then go 18/6, you CAN salvage the majority of your plants - if you want to save them.

And here's the kicker. 2 weeks to recover, 2 more weeks in 24/0 to regrow some stems and flesh out the greenery, then slam her into your flowering chamber. You'll save more than a month from your regular start-to-finsh schedule.

Well fooey. Addendum or post scriptum time.

After the first feeding of mixed nutes switch to pure veggie nutes. Why? Reducing the shock to the plant is KEY in successfully revegging a plant. You are shocking the everloving CRAP out of it by harvesting! How would YOU feel if someone whacked off your head and your arms? Not too good... And your plant is feeling not too good after you harvest it - even if you leave buds and leaves on it. So keep temps steady, steady light 24/day and basically don't mess with it until you have solid new growth.

So unless we have an indoors growroom,theres noway i can reguvenate a plant since we cannot control the light.

im not sure that is correct.....i say a grow journal by woodsman and he successfully rejuvenated a plant outdoors. i dont know how the end result turned out (bud quality) but he proved its possible to reveg outdoors.

In my DWC grows I harvest as normal except for leaving at least 3 lower branches with all leaves and popcorn buds on it. I put it under 240w of flouros 24hours on.Used to use a 250w MH but with so few leaves they seemed to stress a little more so I went to 240w of T8's. I prep a bucket with the same nute setup as I do new veg plants.As soon as new growth starts I up to to normal veg nutes. I let them veg until they are 20-24" again and looking strong. I also cut off the remaining budsites about 3 weeks into reveg, they tend to get nasty and I do not like to take chances with mold.

My Jack Herer and pre 98 Bubba Kush both do as well the second time around as they do the first, a few plants do even better.

I use GH. The few strains I grow all use a slightly different version of below but it is my base nute schedule.

For flower in a 5 gallon bucket with 4 gallons of water I use
5 ml gold zone
30 ml micro
70 ml bloom
20 ml kool bloom
1 ml gravity during last 4weeks

New veg and reveg bucket gets
5 ml gold zone
20 ml micro
20 ml grow
20 ml bloom

veg buckets
5 ml gold zone
30 ml micro
60 ml bloom

all at 5.8ph

BTW, a well made greenhouse smokes both indoors and pure outdoors. You get the best of the outdoors with the Sun and the best of indoors with grow area control. My neighbor makes me jealous, he has a 30 x 12 green house with the north 10x12 of it setup as pure indoor. The end of November - early March he puts up panels to totally enclose ( doesn't want 6k of light going out for all to see) and go full indoors in winter. It kicks ass.

WillyB

Hey bro, I'm in Australia as well.. just harvested a couple outdoor plants and they turned out real nice.. jst seeds from nice outdoor smoke that looked good - big black seeds with the tiger stripe patterns. Anyway I kept em small and bonsai-like on purpose and have tried the "staggered harvest" method to experiment with the different highs etc. I was wondering what your advice on regenerating them would be since we're in the same country!
I have no indoor option and frankly am glad ..! I saw on youtube a guy just kept watering the left over "sticks" and eventually they came back.. I was going to give them veg-designed nutes like FF grow big or something - is that part of the trick to get them back?

Cheers man!

If you want your plant to regenerate quickly, you have to leave all of the healthiest fan leaves situated in the middle area of your plant. Remove the buds carefully. Pull out each end flower of the lowest leaves and leave the rest of the little flower. Doing these will bring your harvested cannabis plant back to its vegetative state.

it does have to be indoors, my friend or at least you must be able to give the plant a long day;here she is now:

YouTube - A church plant regenerated

happy growing

i read this fellow right above me saying it has to be inside, maybe that is true in most cases, idk. i am a novice grower i just harvested my first indoor crop, which despite my dumb mistakes and lack of knowledge starting out i did verey good to have used bag seed of unkown strain (decent mids) which i unhappily bought bc for that day it was all i could find, but i took the four seeds it had and they all sprouted and took off,so take what im saying with a grain of salt, but i cut my plants in no specific way , when i harvested, i just took my scissors and cut each branch and worked my way from there on leaving my two ladies bone dry as far as foliage, now i had no intentions of reveging, i already have clones of each, but after my harvesting it was late in the evening, and i was leaving for the lake the next day so i stuck the pots in a box with the top of it open , happenstance, wasnt intentional at all, and my buddy goes to check on them bc he has years and years of both outdoor and inside and he wanted to see if there was any new growth on either, and 100% no questions this growth was not there before i could show in pics if i really felt compelled, anyhow, one of my two has new growth and all i did was set it outside IN A BOX, with the top open so they could get light, but when i did that ,it was to conceal them bc i wanted to see the roots and wasnt going to use a flashlight, bc of the amount of attention that draws as apposed to me checking em out in the day time in the right spot in my yard,
ALL THAT TO SAY, at least for me this "it has to be inside thing wasnt true, maybe im the exception , idk....figured it may be helpful , oh and sunrise to sunset is only 14 hours right now and in the 90s /49%% humidity (good for me obviouslly in the situation), i just checked it again and there is more new growth so i brought it inside....to protect it from pest,, so i guess these plants continue to amaze us, or atleast me,they r so so so fucking resialant, good, luck to u, hte most important things i learned this first go around, good dirt and good lights and good air, and not giving up on one bc others say shit or bc u think it stands no chance, i started with four two werre ladies, one of the two that wound up being ladies, i almost killed when transplanting, it was a smaller one to start off with, but i ripped all its roots except the main one attached to the stim, sure enough i kept it and even though it didnt grow much at all for a month or so, it finally came back and just happened to be a female so if i had given up and thrown her out id never be jaring her nice nugz right now.....

this was by far the coolest thing ive learned....or better said ive learned how to start to learn how to provide my own....but i want to make a neckalce with the main thick stalks i had from the first two i flowered inside, how do i do that? does anyone know?they r dried out, but when i cut the buds off and jarred , i put the stalks in freezer n a bag, have some more from some shitty males from my second go 2/5 females so 3 were a total waste, i have clones of both my two i just harvested a few weeks back, but they were took in the 3rd week of flower, they rooted easily, but reverting them has been a challange....it is really just a waiting game, they r finally starting to show normal looking new growth as apposed to those weird but cool all the same unseraded leafs, nature is fascinating....

This is true. But I,d like to see what someone could do with one plant in a 8x8 tent with 2 1000 watt equiv leds and one of those biiiiig 50-100gal smart pots. F*** it. This is now a future experiment for me.

Yes, you are right, but when you have to grow stealth, outside is not an option. Besides, with indoors I get four harvests vs. the one for outdoors.

Yes, you are right, but when you have to grow stealth, outside is not an option. Besides, with indoors I get four harvests vs. the one for outdoors.

Ive been doing a mix of both indoor and outdoor. Thats probably the best way to go about revegetating your plant. As far as harvesting outdoors multiple times a year, the same concept applies, start em indoor during the latter end of winter. Then move them outdoors once theyve veg'd sufficiently. So long as its getting less than 12 hours of light and a minimum of 12 dark, it will induce flowering. I usually give it about 2 months and harvest a little earlier than what you would with Fall plants. (Concept likely doesnt apply to non-equatorial locations)

I do that to make sure the buds wont begin to reveg as light begins to pick up and the dark hours become less. Make sure to harvest only above the first 2 buds on each branch to be assured of proper reveg. You could go about just leaving one per branch, as im doing that right now with a plant and its doing fine. But to get the best benefit of your monstercrop i feep like the more the merrier!

Back
Top Bottom