Why Should I Grow Using Aeroponics?

SmokeyMacPot

Pros
unsurpassed plant growth, resin, potency and yields with incredible aromatics and taste.

Cons
requires close monitoring of ph and ppm levels and total reliance on constant electricity.

Author: MisterIto

Basically there are two types of aero

1. Low Pressure Aero= drip/spray bars/DWC using low pressure submersible pumps or drip heads
2. High Pressure Aero= atomized mist heads and high pressure pump with external reservoir

LPA is simple to assemble, but it provides the potential for huge problems. Roots do not respond well when wet 24/7. They develop the same problems as over-watering plants in soil/less mediums- root rot.

Roots grow as deep as the plant is tall. Most aero trays or NFT (tubes) have neither the volume nor the depth needed for proper root development. By the time the plants are fully grown and ready to flip, the trays (or tubes) are already clogged with roots.

During bloom, new roots develop specifically to feed the bud sites. Without sufficient room for them to develop properly, the buds cannot get the full benefit of the bloom nutrients.

Another problem with LPA is the amount of nutes it requires. High ppms are needed to compensate for the starving plants. Most DWC growers recycle their nutes. OK in veg, but not in flower, as the entire chemistry/hormones of the plant changes to accommodate developing buds. By week 3, LPA growers will begin to see signs of toxicity that are often mistaken as nute deficiencies.

HPA is more scientific or technical. Once it is set up daily maintenance of the external reservoir is required to check pH, and to replenish consumed or evaporated nutes.

Roots are fed using a high pressure (50+ psi) which forces the nutrients through mist heads that are sized to atomize the nutrients (40-80 micron). Think damp fog. This makes the nutrient easy for the roots to consume.

Ideal feed times are less than 2 seconds with 2-3 minute pauses- 24/7.

Parts

High Pressure Pump ($90)
Atomized mist heads @< $5
Deep Cycle Timer (<$150)
Reservoir (I use a large kitty litter container).

A deep cycle timer is necessary to provide short feed cycles.

The main complaint with HPA is if electricity fails you can lose a crop, but that is true of any DWC/Aero system. The problem with soil/less mixes is again you need large containers which minimizes how many you can fit under a light. Small containers act just ad DWC/LPA - not enough room for proper root development.

I hope my electricity never goes out!

Never tried aeroponics cause always worried about power. Thought I needed a generator and didn't want to mess with that. The UPS idea is fantastic. Might have to give this one a try now. Thanx Big Perm.

I have the aerofarm from general hydro and it works ok but there are some things you need to watch out with and thats the res water temperature....i had to put an additional water chiller with 1000l per hour. And a extra airstone because the majority of the roots are in the res water.

20151116_114526.jpg

the water is high maintenance in aeroponics. def turn off for me

Once the roots hit the res water you can actually turn off the sprinklers because it doesnt seem to add any benefits so it changes from aero to dwc but if you have high pressure mist nozzles then i suggest to keep it on i have done several harvests with no water changes only adding water and nutes no probs at all

Back
Top Bottom