Should I start with bought seed?

SmokeyMacPot

Because you can make so many mistakes as a beginner, you should consider starting with bagseed. They're free, and you know ahead of time what the final product should be like.

So if you are wise you will save some seed from buds which you consider to be good and learn from your experiences as you grow them to maturity.

On the other hand...
Having invested in expensive growing equipment and supplies, buying good quality proven genetics can be considered a worthy cause, when you consider the time you are about to invest growing them.

Author: Bear

There has been a time I picked up a seed or two from some buddys ashtray and as we smoked that duber...then some months later,i turned him on saying ...you proably don't remember them seeds you threw away ? well this is what I grew......I allways use bagseed...only from good stuff...i wouldn't chance buying from a seedstore through the us mail..hell no...

I started growing from bag seed and as you said it's cheap but you know the taste/effect but not the grow height or other needs nor the sex.

I've had luck buying for delivery in midwest us and I generally get fem seeds when I can. Sometimes I get reg seed of a strain I want to try that is not available in fem. Got to think how much time, nutes and electricty you invest in a grow also to get a true cost comparison.

i'm a first time grower and i'm really looking to do this right. not only does the weed i buy never have any seeds, but i wouldnt want to risk my first grow on random bag seed. I'm looking for a seed that would grow well in:

-indoors. (outdoor shed, i don't know if that's considered indoors or not)
-my climate is British columbia seasonal climates(probably starting growing in the spring)
- looking for an indica seed
-probably be using soil
-preferably an up high but dont really care
-my priority is finishing time but would like to compromise between that and quality.

any help would be awesome guys. if you know any strands that would match this, let me know..thanks!

Why not grow from both. I grow from clones and also seed. In Oregon we can have 6 full sizers and 24 starts so I usually get 24 starts going than keep the 6 best ones to flower out and trade or give away the rest. If there is a strain I cannot get a clone of like people are real protective of their Chem Dawg and OG Kush cuts...I will just buy my own seeds of those strains rather than try to beg someone for a cut of something they don't want to give out...For better or worse a lot of good bud is "clone only" Urkle,Blue Dream, certainly Chemdawg. Those are the strains I want to grow. I've grown Urkle, and that stuff is amazing. Wish I kept a mother of that plant but didn't have the room. What a great strain. Tastes like green apples and grapes. I'm growing this beast of a plant called Metal Haze. Went to change the water in the DWC and in 7 days it made 2.6 gallons of water and nutrient solution disappear :yikes: Never seen a plant do that in Veg. Just threw her under the 1000 HPS so when she starts flowering good and plenty I will post some pics.

:tokin:mazer was a good easy grow indica, In got a flav in veg. its indica and grows fast

Do you mean MAZAR? I was thinking about growing some of this from clones. How was the smoke? I'm growing Hash plant and trainwreck and lemon diesel and some Romulan. My Chem valley Kush seed is still too young to show sex. Yeah grow the CVK or some Chem's sister. This spring prepare for the Iranian auto-flower which I hear is not actually a ruderalis and can be vegged for a time and even cloned off of! All this from an auto flower. Anyone grown the Iranian Autoflower? Looks dank and people are saying it is not a ruderalis. How is this possible?? That it is not a rudy makes me wonder what it would be like to grow some of this under 24-0 and see how long I can veg it. I think feminized autoflower is about as noobie grower friendly as you can get. Not the biggest yielder but they are making haze auto flowering strains now. That was what the original question was, what is the best thing for a new grower and I say feminized autoflower. :tokin:

Yeah mazar. Its its killer smoke nice smell. I had got a small 1 foot clone I grew under cfls and leds and in the window. It was around two feet I got just over a half an oz. good hash leafs. I love lemon Diesel, I like the lemon skunks but not the super lemon haze? Lemon Rhino rules them all. I hear theres a super fast cindy 99 going around. One warning on the Mazar the spider mites love her.

Ok I am going to trust you on that Mazar-i-sharif and get a clone or two...Funny you mention Lemon Diesel, I got a clone of that earlier this year around October and now she's flowering. Yields are not that impressive on some of these tastey strains. Either that or they leaf out like crazy. One thing I would impress upon a new grower is to buy a good bulb. Spend the extra 10 bucks and stay away from Sun Master HPS bulbs as I hear they influence yields...like a lot...and I am hearing this from pretty experienced and respected guys. Next year I am swapping out mine for something else like a EYE HORTILUX or anything but that SM. Dirty Dan, in response to your BC climate where it is really wet and cold and above a certain latitude you have to be VERY careful about what strains you grow because our outdoor season is maybe 3 months if we are lucky. I really wish I knew the answer to out door in the North West. I bought some CHURCH seeds this year. If they germ hopefully they will resist the powdery mildew. By the time the buds are ready to harvest the temp is dropping rapidly. So, within a week growing outdoor sometimes you have to harvest, even if it is not ready! I think indoor is a lot more inconvenient, no one wants a million plants in their house, but it is a lot easier to control conditions once you get your rooms temps, and humidity dialed in.

thanks for the advice guys. its not totally outside. it's in a shed so it won't be totally exposed to the elements. So 247, you're saying probably og kush or chem dawg mainly? possibly urkle? (for my first grow at least) and when you guys say yield, what exactly are you talking about? I'm also curious when I should start growing, I was guessing probably mid to late april?

If you live on the west coast, you should be able to find stellar clones within a days drive. Some of the cloned strains that I see at some of these west coast pot shops are just absolutely incredible strains. Actually I like both clones and seeds equally as well. I would say that if you can get really good clones......get them....learn how to treat them. Then plant some seeds too.....LOL!

Peace HBF

Mazar/mazzar was my very first indoor grow it was hydro and smoke was lurvly!! Very smelly and in UK and girlfriend got too paranoid about smell .sure I could of got at least another 3/4 weeks flowering from my babies.even so stlcky goodness and have small part in my heart/head for mazzar....peace.just picked up lights ,nutes from storage and some white widow fem seeds...just waiting for optimum time of year...Im out in the stix at no so temp is big deal .all good things and that.

My grows all stem from my first grow . Al grows are inside in fox farm soil and big bloom nutes.The original seeds were from some very good smoke w/ few seeds. The first grow was better than the original smoke. I germinated three seeds and one was female ,the other a hermy. The hermy provided a dozen seeds. The true female became a mother and provides very nice females clones. The chain is still providing clones and great smoke. I see no reason to buy from a seed bank .

The problem with bag seed is that you get so many pheno's. I like more stable strains that produce a more constant results. I like similar results with each seed. That being said if I find a single seed in a bag of medical grade I do keep it and label it, I like to think of it as a needle in a hay stack. But if its loaded I stay away from those genetics if possible.

The problem with bag seed is that you get so many pheno's. I like more stable strains that produce a more constant results. I like similar results with each seed. That being said if I find a single seed in a bag of medical grade I do keep it and label it, I like to think of it as a needle in a hay stack. But if its loaded I stay away from those genetics if possible.
I undestand your problem with bagseed, that's why I'll start way more then I want to grow( there free) and pick the ones I want to flower. I do just the opposite when it comes to saving seeds why if I have 1 or 2 seeds in a bag I feel it's more likely the grower missed a pollin sac on a hermi they were trying to save then being fertilezed by a male. I rather not have hermi genetics in my grow incase I stress them a little.

hi guys i am new to forum and i have attempted to grow weed only once at my school years (without success).So the situation is simple now and i need your help.I want to grow a single plant that will not smell while growing in a 70 cm height space(the others sizes are not problem),so please tell me if there is any dwarf variety that can fit in there (it will be a box) and that will not smell.thank you

You can dwarf a cannabis strain that responds well to topping and pruning techniques. Dwarf strains tend to contain ruderalis genetics which means they are likely autoflowering as well. However, you are also seeking low odor strains.

I can recommend Medicann's Blue Blood if you are fine with a high CBD balanced THC strain. This strain responds well to topping and pruning techniques and is low odor during mature flowering stage.

Jorge's Diamonds is another wonderful stain that has it all. Potency, low odor, compact growth, and delicious taste.

Northern Lights is another strain that is purported to be bushy and low odor. There are even Northern Lights auto flowering strains. Since there are many Northern Lights strains, pick a strain that you can afford.

Auto flowering strains can be more sensitive to stress issues and are genetically programmed to flower when they reach a certain age irregardless of how small or tall they get or how much light they receive. Photo period, indica dominant strains like Blue Blood aren't as prone to hermaphrodite issues when under stress. Sativa dominant strains tend to grow tall.

Back
Top Bottom