How can I tell if my seedling is male or female without flowering it?

SmokeyMacPot

The most common method is to force flower a labeled clone to determine the sex, rather than the incorrect method of forcing the seedling and then reverting it to vegetative growth again.

If you are a seedling grower who does not clone, or a grower who has no seperate vegetative and flowering grow spaces, the easiest method is simply to wait for the preflowers (primordia), and sexual maturity to appear while the seedling is still in vegetative growth. In other words, if you wait until they are 6 to 8 weeks old, most plants will show you their gender without any forcing.

Seedling growers who don't clone are really missing out on the full potency potential of their finished crop whenever they force their seedlings before they've become sexually mature.

Author: administrator

i heard from a botanist that you can get a ruff estimate of the sex by the distance between the leaves like a male it would be a longer area between them and a female would be grouped closer together is that true?

:welcome:

Yes, this is true to an extent. Males typically grow taller in order to more efficiently pollinate a larger area.

There is a few innate characteristics that will allow you to make an educated guess as to what may be a possible male or female. Only experience affords you the ability to see those minor differences. :peace:

:welcome:

Yes, this is true to an extent. Males typically grow taller in order to more efficiently pollinate a larger area.

There is a few innate characteristics that will allow you to make an educated guess as to what may be a possible male or female. Only experience affords you the ability to see those minor differences. :peace:

thank you for clearing that up for me i have been growing for years but i would wait till the plants started flowering to know for sure but this will help allot

why would you clone anything besides a female? i opened this thread thinking ide get some tips on sex i.d. on seedlings, errrrr hoping
dude sex the clone it is thhe right thing to do and safest

By inspecting the preflower with a magnifier. 90% of strains will show sex by week 3 from seed germination. The rest before week 4. An eyelupe works best for me.
Start looking around the 6th node or above. There are 4 possible locations per node for the preflower, but in early veg(3 weeks and earlier) you'll only see one or two on the entire plant. There are four stipules (look like small thin pointy grass blade) at each node. The preflower is located behind the stiplule, in front of the new growth branch. It will emerge as a bump and develop fast (like overnight), generally the male emerges rounded and the female more pointy at the end. The early give away besides the round/pointy tip is the male will show a separation between the stem and the emerging preflower as in a stem from a stem with a ball on top, the female shows no discernable separtion and appears continuous from stem up the preflower, usually fatter at the bottom and gradually leading to a pointed tip. Easy, male roundness, female pointyness. Until you know what you are doing, just move the "males" to the outside of the grow and "females" to center or prime light, until you are certain of ID. Really hard to do early without a magnifier! Easy to do once you know how!

They need to reach the age to preflower about the 5 node then they will start to show.some strains show faster then other, so it realy depends on the plant.females usualy pre first with white hairs you cant miss them.

They need to reach the age to preflower about the 5 node then they will start to show.some strains show faster then other, so it realy depends on the plant.females usualy pre first with white hairs you cant miss them.
Actually males usually show first (look for crab claw), and females show way, way before they put out the white hairs (look for rounded bottom up to a pointy top, not quite pear shaped). Just finished sexing my current grow and the females still have no hairs.
Agree in general that males will be taller with longer internodal distance. Many 100's of strains later, still can't find one that won't show sex by week 4 from seed pop.

thought i read somthing from goerge once think it said you can tell by the third week in veg never knew how thats crazy. luve2grow do you or can you post some pics up close so we can see your expertise?

luvtogrow......your not waiting for "preflower" you seem to sex yours before.I have had alot of males keep me waiting but i knew all the ladies first.just got done with a 40 plant garden called everyone in pre np.But it realy doesnt matter 10 days into flower 12/12 you will be sure.they will all show.

luvtogrow......your not waiting for "preflower" you seem to sex yours before.I have had alot of males keep me waiting but i knew all the ladies first.just got done with a 40 plant garden called everyone in pre np.But it realy doesnt matter 10 days into flower 12/12 you will be sure.they will all show.
PitViper- No way to sex before seeing the preflower. Maybe u are using the naked eye? Not just me that says males show before females, it's common knowledge. I'll try to post a pic of a TFD sativa, that showed sex with a huge female preflower(no pistols yet), several days ago, BEFORE week 3 seed popping above the ground. The plant is about 7" tall and is showing on the 5th and 6th nodes, can see with the naked eye, but saw as it emerged about 4 days ago with and eyelupe. It was 3 weeks old yesterday and is the slowest grower in my group and last to sex. The males were thrown out last week.
In above post i said pointy=female. Careful, that's as emerging, males can look pointy on the top crab claw. But, it's easy once you see difference, males look scruffy, females look tidy.

im growin my first plant just for trial and error in my closet and never been around any grow ops......someone please post pics to show how to ID the sex cause i have no idea what my baby is

one light slid down too close and scorched part of it but is comin back bigger and better

here is mine i didnt really wanna showcase it cause this is just a reggie trial run

l_3eb922291e8e46f8bdc1257b00d3a020.jpg

l_d78670ed1376470787ec82da27143a18.jpg

l_4b2a33cddaad474ba8de1ac45e789d45.jpg

l_ec624ab551fb46cbb3c79a4b12093673.jpg

l_781da97a45024ff991cb1692becbde9e.jpg

Wing King, you're going to need to get a much much closer picture than any of those. Ideally a macro picture aka super zoom where the calyxes of the plant are. Check out the pics in the following link for an idea of where to shoot photos on your plant:
Preflower Pics

On a side note do you have a fan blowing lightly on that plant to make the stem stronger? If not, get one, your plant is very spindly for being that tall and if it makes buds it won't be able to stand up without help from you.

Back
Top Bottom