What Ranges Should I maintain for my Hydroponic Nutrients pH, TDS/EC and Temperature?

Smokin Moose

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex Moderator
I follow and highly recommend the following parameters for hydroponic nutrient solutions for aeroponic, "bubblers", drip, ebb and flow, NFT, passive, rockwool and wick systems.

PH 5.1-5.9 (5.2 optimal)
TDS 500-1000ppm, EC .75-1.5
Temperature 68-78f, 20-25c (75f, 24c optimal)

The pH of the nutrient solution is a major determinant of nutrient uptake by the plant. If the pH wanders outside the optimum range of between pH 5.1 and pH 5.9, then nutritional deficiency and/or toxicity problems can occur. For hydroponic nutrient solutions used with inert media, keep the pH at 5.2 for optimal elemental uptake. It is at this point that roots most readily assimilate nutrients. These pH and TDS/EC recommendations may seem low relative to the normally suggested range, but are based upon information garnered from "Hydroponic Nutrients" by M. Edward Muckle and Practical Hydroponics and Greenhouses. They both document the low pH resulting in increased nutrient uptake and my experience has shown discernible health and yield improvements at a ph of 5.2 over higher levels.

On page 100, Hydroponic Nutrients displays both the assimilation chart for organic soil applications and another for inert medium hydroponics, which depicts the vastly different scenarios. The widely accepted soil based chart is frequently misapplied to water culture applications. His research and that done by others, documented in Practical Hydroponics and Greenhouses, indicate that iron and phosphorous precipitate in nutrient solutions at pH levels above 6. Stay below a pH of 6 by all means to avoid this problem and benefit.

The nutrient assimilation rate is further enhanced by the reduction in solution TDS/EC, which reduces osmotic pressure and allows the roots to draw the nutrients "easier". Young, established seedlings or rooted cuttings are started at 500-600ppm. The TDS is increased to 800-900ppm during peak vegetative growth. During the transition from early to heavy flowering, TDS is further raised to 1000-1100ppm. It is then reduced to 400-500ppm during the final 2 weeks of flushing. The plants demonstrate their preference for a lower TDS/EC when running a lower pH by clearly sustaining higher growth rates.

The optimum temperature for hydroponic solutions to be is 24c/75f. At this point, most elements are assimilated highest and atmospheric oxygen is most readily dissolved. Although increases in temperature increase the rate of photosynthesis, avoid exceeding the maximum listed of 25c/78f. Elevated temperatures make some elements more available, but reduce the solution's dissolved oxygen capacity, increasing root disease likelihood.

Re: What Ranges Should I maintain for my Hydroponic Nutrients pH, TDS/EC and Temperat

Wow this is more quality info from MM. Thanks!! I was just wondering how many of you hydro folk follow this? Like he said that most follow the regular 5.5 to 6.5 ph range. . Quite interesting when metioning not to get above 6.2. Any thoughts??

Re: What Ranges Should I maintain for my Hydroponic Nutrients pH, TDS/EC and Temperat

I'm confused,In post before this one it said 5.8 to 6.2, anybody know what that is about.

will 5.1 work in hydro with rockwool ,better the 5.6 to 6.2 ?

That is neat info, I have a dumb question if my plain water has a ppm100 and I want to shoot for 500ppm with the nutes feed chart. Should I now shoot for 600ppm. Is that right, still wpondering it. thanks bro

dog stick, yea Ur bout right with that one.

ozric420, U want to keep ur water and nutes in the 5.5-6-5 range on the PH. THought this link may be helpful >What pH Level or Range Should I aim For?

100 ppm wont kill you either way.as for PH different nutes absorb at different ph levels .I let my ph swing from 5.2 to 6.5 in hydro not soil.

so if you start w/ 100ppm when you add your nutes the ppm increases and you ad your appropriate nutes to get to your targeted ppm? I have a tds meter coming and want to know the correct way to use it.

what nutrients are needed for a bubble hydroponics?

hi,
I'm building a bubble hydroponics system out of 1 5gal bucket with an air pump. im making it to hold 1 plant. i need to know what nutrients i need for it to successfully grow and how often i need to change it out and check it. i pretty much need all the nutritional facts.

although nicely written, you lock out magnesium between 2.0 to 5.7 and molasses between 2.0 and 5.5 and ur calcium between 2.0 and 5.3 by keeping ur ph at his suggested rates u lock out three major nutrients in the cycle...hess right about your ppms or tds ..whichever u prefer....hydro gardens should run between 5.7 and 6.1 ....thats your happy medium...dont buy into the hype!!1

although nicely written, you lock out magnesium between 2.0 to 5.7 and molasses between 2.0 and 5.5 and ur calcium between 2.0 and 5.3 by keeping ur ph at his suggested rates u lock out three major nutrients in the cycle...hess right about your ppms or tds ..whichever u prefer....hydro gardens should run between 5.7 and 6.1 ....thats your happy medium...dont buy into the hype!!1

the OP (Original Poster) said "optimal ph= 5.2"

glassking you said:
magnesium locks between ---- 2.0 to 5.7
molasses locks between ------- 2.0 to 5.5
calcium locks between --------- 2.0 to 5.3

please correct me if im wrong but doesnt 5.2 lower than all the max. range number (5.7, 5.5, and 5.3)?

also a quick q about ppm/ec
i run the infamous lucas formula (3part). w/ that being said Mr. Lucas says, when running HID's (400watt+) formula = 0-8-16 (grow-micro-bloom) which ='s 1.8 ec/ 1326ppm 0.7conversion.

isnt that too high? 1326ppm?

now, OP, does your ppm recomendation for HID lights? i heard that one should lower ppms if your not using HID's, is that true?

ok let me try and help u out...first ph stands for probable hydrogen...its a reading of the ions in water whether they be acidic or heavier on the alkaline side...if u have a hydro garden their is no growing medium to adjust your ph balance when feedimg so u can run your ph sightly lower betwwen 5.7 and 6.1....now when i say something is locked out between 5.2 and say 5.7 then as long as your ph is reading 5.6 your nutrients are being locked out...now your lights and thhat lucas formula is a good way to measure what your limiting factors are be it light co2 or nutrients...hopefully that helps

:420:
i follow and highly recommend the following parameters for hydroponic nutrient solutions for aeroponic, "bubblers", drip, ebb and flow, nft, passive, rockwool and wick systems.

Ph 5.1-5.9 (5.2 optimal)
tds 500-1000ppm, ec .75-1.5
temperature 68-78f, 20-25c (75f, 24c optimal)

the ph of the nutrient solution is a major determinant of nutrient uptake by the plant. If the ph wanders outside the optimum range of between ph 5.1 and ph 5.9, then nutritional deficiency and/or toxicity problems can occur. For hydroponic nutrient solutions used with inert media, keep the ph at 5.2 for optimal elemental uptake. It is at this point that roots most readily assimilate nutrients. These ph and tds/ec recommendations may seem low relative to the normally suggested range, but are based upon information garnered from "hydroponic nutrients" by m. Edward muckle and practical hydroponics and greenhouses. They both document the low ph resulting in increased nutrient uptake and my experience has shown discernible health and yield improvements at a ph of 5.2 over higher levels.

On page 100, hydroponic nutrients displays both the assimilation chart for organic soil applications and another for inert medium hydroponics, which depicts the vastly different scenarios. The widely accepted soil based chart is frequently misapplied to water culture applications. His research and that done by others, documented in practical hydroponics and greenhouses, indicate that iron and phosphorous precipitate in nutrient solutions at ph levels above 6. Stay below a ph of 6 by all means to avoid this problem and benefit.

The nutrient assimilation rate is further enhanced by the reduction in solution tds/ec, which reduces osmotic pressure and allows the roots to draw the nutrients "easier". Young, established seedlings or rooted cuttings are started at 500-600ppm. The tds is increased to 800-900ppm during peak vegetative growth. During the transition from early to heavy flowering, tds is further raised to 1000-1100ppm. It is then reduced to 400-500ppm during the final 2 weeks of flushing. The plants demonstrate their preference for a lower tds/ec when running a lower ph by clearly sustaining higher growth rates.

The optimum temperature for hydroponic solutions to be is 24c/75f. At this point, most elements are assimilated highest and atmospheric oxygen is most readily dissolved. Although increases in temperature increase the rate of photosynthesis, avoid exceeding the maximum listed of 25c/78f. Elevated temperatures make some elements more available, but reduce the solution's dissolved oxygen capacity, increasing root disease likelihood.

Here is my problem on the subject. I have had problems with the transition period. Generally in the past when I switch to 12 hours the plants start to eat themselves.

I have a NFT setup so no soil or growing media involved.

The grow I am on now using GH three part formula. Careful attention to pH holding it around 5.8 pretty steady. Added cal/mag to the solution.

Switched to 12 hours two days ago and just starting to see some indications of the plants starting to eat themselves. Hopefully it will be minor this go around.

I just don't seem to be able to get a handle on the correct nutes and pH going from 18 hours to 12 hours.

When the nutrients aren't right the plants start "eating" themselves. That is to say they pull the nutrients out of existing leaves. This tends to happen when transitioning from grow to flower.

Was holding the pH at a steady 5.8 with a pH meter. Transition to flowering tends to put a stress on the plants as they want more nutes. Doing much better as let the pH drop below 5.8.

Problems seemed to start when went from the color bottle, which is not as accurate, to a pH meter. The meter allowed better pH control but the pH was no longer drifting from 5.5 to 6.0.

Conclusion is that 5.8 is too high a pH during transition and the much attention must be given to nutes and pH during transition.

yellow14.jpg

so what is the ph for flower .if ph at 5.8 when you flower what is a good ph ? Hydro here 8 bulb t5's 3000k.for flower and weg 4 bulb 6500k both 54 w

Hi guys and greetings from Chile !

Im starting my hydro system and im in the measurement phase ,so I bought a TDS and PH meter and i got rteadings of 495 ppm and ph of 7.3 ...obviously I must lower the ph levels ,but how about TDS ,is ok like that?

When the nutrients aren't right the plants start "eating" themselves. That is to say they pull the nutrients out of existing leaves. This tends to happen when transitioning from grow to flower.

Was holding the pH at a steady 5.8 with a pH meter. Transition to flowering tends to put a stress on the plants as they want more nutes. Doing much better as let the pH drop below 5.8.

Problems seemed to start when went from the color bottle, which is not as accurate, to a pH meter. The meter allowed better pH control but the pH was no longer drifting from 5.5 to 6.0.

Conclusion is that 5.8 is too high a pH during transition and the much attention must be given to nutes and pH during transition.

yellow14.jpg

I'm sorry but I had to jump in here to keep new readers from spreading this misinformation...
That right there folks has nothing to do with pH (POWER of Hydrogen) locking out nutrients, especially with the pH being under 6.8, but is actually a severe Nitrogen deficiency.
Its been proven that plants in Flower still require a good amount of Nitrogen coupled with the high Phosphorus content usually found in Bloom fertilizers and he obviously lacked adding enough.

So what is the optimal pH range for a hydro system then?

Back
Top Bottom