How do I select a male?

Smokin Moose

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex Moderator
The only way to determine the value of a plant for breeding is to grow and examine its progeny. The most potent plant might not pass on this trait, and the healthiest plant might not have favorable combining ability. Judging a male by visual appearance and also smoke testing, or using bio-assay, should not be discounted, but test crossing the male is the only way to determine it's breeding potential.

See also Soul's Selecting Breeding Individuals...

I look for a male with a good amount of trichomes, and a good set of "balls" with good vigor and short stature. When you see a good one you will know it will tell you with crystal goodness:Namaste:

I suspect that this is a really neglected aspect of breeding. The male is half your genetics, and they are definitely smokable. People should definitely be smoking the males, and possibly scraping off the trichomes during flowering for testing.

You can grow a male and choose for other characteristics- strong growth, good branching, etc. But that tells you NOTHING about the high that plant will give. And to only use the female flowers in breeding choices seems inefficient at best, counterproductive at worst.

Back
Top Bottom