Can I use dry ice to provide CO2 for my plants?

Smokin Moose

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex Moderator
You can do this, but it is extremely difficult to regulate the sublimation of CO2 in an easy way. The cost of replacing the co2 every few days will rapidly mount up as it does disappear quickly once outside a freezer, and pretty quickly even inside a freezer.

Plus too much CO2 will kill your plants. It's hard to control the sublimation rate of dry ice, so you have no way of regulating the atmospheric content.

In short - don't bother! If you really want co2 enrichment then buy a bottle and a regulator.

You can do this, but it is extremely difficult to regulate the sublimation of CO2 in an easy way. The cost of replacing the co2 every few days will rapidly mount up as it does disappear quickly once outside a freezer, and pretty quickly even inside a freezer.

Plus too much CO2 will kill your plants. It's hard to control the sublimation rate of dry ice, so you have no way of regulating the atmospheric content.

In short - don't bother! If you really want co2 enrichment then buy a bottle and a regulator.

This is what I've learned, though I haven't really tried it.

You can use dry ice, but it is only cost effective on smaller rooms. Your room is much too big for dry ice. If you look around on Ebay you can get a used co2 regulator for around $75.00, & you basically just rent the CO2 tank & pay $25.00 to get it filled.

The you just get a CAP co2 controller. I think they are around $180.00.

If you wanted to use dry ice, you would spend more than the cost of a regulator & controller on dry ice in a matter of a few months.

Yes but it is an expensive way to do so. Making your own wine with strong yeast, 21 percent alcohol resistant is a cheap way, however, a 5 gallon jug is only good for like one plant.

Those echo bags that sell at the hydrostore work better. You hang them above your plants and they provide co2 while lights are on for about 2 months. The cheapest method, IMO.

How important is Co2? I have a 12" deep by 2 1/2 foot wide by 3 1/2 foot tall box (Converted top shelves of a book case and added a front piece and all walls are covered in Mylar) with a multi colored LED grow light I purchased off Amazon for growing plants and tried 3 seeds and 2 grew. They are about 3" high with a single leaf on both of them and they look deep green. They seem to be growing good (It's only been about 5 days) without any Co2 added and I only water them when the top soil looks dry. (I'm just explaining everything so you understand what I've done so far) I also have a tiny bottle humidifier in with them and the humidity is around 33 with a temp that varies between 72 and 80 degrees depending on my space heater in the room I'm in. I'm just wondering how important is Co2? They seem to be growing good (so far at least) and I just want to know about the Co2. Any help would be appreciated!! Thank You!!!!

Back
Top Bottom