What is the FIM pruning technique?

Smokin Moose

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex Moderator
One reason to prune is to increase yield or lower plant profile by topping the plants grow tips. The traditional method involves removing the entire growth point but there are now other methods such as the FIM which can dramatically affect the appearance of the plant and perhaps increase yield by increased branch stucture.

To increase yeilds and maximize space, many farmers "top" their plants-snip off the top bud. Tradionally, topping your plant causes two shoots to grow back in place on the one pruned off, thus increasing the number of top/main buds. Well thanks to a loyal reader, we've topped that.

This tip came to me by snail mail from South Carolina, With a diagram and a name for this technique. The letter says, "I discovered by accident a pruning technique that all growers should know about". As I read his letter, I remembered that the same thing had happened to me many times and I never took notice. I too occasionally got up to five or six new shoots growing from what I thought was a sloppy topping attempt.

Diagram A shows the tradional method of topping: cutting the whole node off cleanly, to induce the stalk to split into two. But diagram B indicates to make the cut below the center of the node, leaving about 10% intact. This is the key, because the vegetation left behind has cells that are rapidly dividing in many different directions. This can lead to as many as EIGHT tops from a single pruning.

The contributor did not give their name, but requests this be called the "FIM" technique. He also adds, "this pruning technique could revolutionize indoor gardening"

this tech has been around a long time. people here use it to encourage bushing in mother plants so they produce hundreds of cuttings. for budding though, having eight tips per branch isn't nessicarily good as they tend to crowd each other out and produce a number of smaller buds. i prefer advancing one stem with five to seven leaders per square foot of growing area. i find this ratio gives top results .

Ok smart guys, pop quiz time, what does "FIM" actually stand for? :cheesygrinsmiley:

would u recomend this over regular topping for an outdoor plant with slightly less than average sun exposure? or should I not top at all?

When topping or FIM'ing you must be able to provide adequate light levels in order to supply energy to the new growth you are encouraging. If you FIM to create a bunch of new tops your yeilds will not improve unless you can provide enough light coverage. Yeilds will actually decrease if light levels are too low.

If your plant is in a slightly shaded area I would advise either simple topping or just leaving it be, I would not FIM. Cannabis is a light-loving plant, the more you give it the better. :peace:

Hey Moose,

I am curious why some of a jellybean is developing a "y" branching pattern. Other lower stems do not do this and are normal, opposite. Any thoughts? All in all, she is healthy from what I know.

Organic soil, neptunes, (2) 23 cfl.

Back
Top Bottom