Why everyone should use hydrogen peroxide everyday!

ledtester

Sorry long read:

I suggest getting 33% concentrate, as the crap you get at the pharmacy is full of impurities.

How much? - 3ml/gallon in the rez at change and half that everyday.

Works wonders and in soil too.

Oh and use gloves as it will turn your skin milky white to the touch and it lasts awhile.

How it works?

You can not "cure" pythium. It is a bacteria. It is always present.
You can prevent and "cure" the symptoms of a pythium infection. In this case, "cure" simply means ridding the plant of infectious symptoms. The actual bacteria will still be present.
The key is to make your root zone hospitable to the roots, not to bacteria, usually caused by low oxygen levels in the solution or high temp solutions (which also causes low O2 levels).
Cool nutrient solution temps (68-73 F) and proper aeration will not allow pythium to grow
So we pour hydrogen peroxide into our water, which gives a slight reading of EC or electrical current/conductivity so that needs taking into account.

The H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) is very unstable in its current form and it quickly breaks down once in the nutrient solution. Essentially, within a short space of time it’s present only in its component form (water and oxygen), and in reaching this form it releases a single oxygen atom.

This oxygen atom is ultra-reactive as well as aggressive. It’s looking for a fight, but instead of looking to cause problems it’s actually on your team.

So the unstable single oxygen atom sets off, looking for mischief to make.

If it comes across another oxygen atom, it attaches itself to the other atom, forming a larger, more stable oxygen molecule, or ion. This gets taken in by the plant through the roots, and benefits growth both above, as well as within the root zone.

If however, the rambunctious oxygen atom comes across an organic molecule, such as a virus, or fungal spore as it waxes & wanes through your nutrient solution, it will attach itself to the pathogen and quite literally oxidise itself, as well as whatever organism it had attached itself to.

And this stuff actually works!

So what this means is not only does H2O2 supply the nutrients (and indirectly, the plants) with a massive boost of pure oxygen ions, it will also play a huge part in keeping your reservoir fresh, highly oxygenated, as well as free from organisms such as Pythium, Fusarium, mould as well as a plethora of other nasties we encounter daily as hydroponic growers.

Not only that but when the crop comes down there is no better cleaning agent to use (albeit in higher concentrations) than hydrogen peroxide. Not only will it clean as effectively as bleach but, as explained earlier it attaches itself to other organic micro-bad guys, and oxidises them into nothingness. They simply cease to exist, leaving your grow room clean, sterile and ready for the next crop.

O2

If it even needed saying, a fresh and regular exposure to pure oxygen will work wonders in how your plants look and “feel”.

Oxygen invigorates, it heals, it’s present (and necessary) in every living form and plants just can’t get enough of it.

With lots of oxygen available nutrient uptake is massively boosted and if the plants getting the nutrients, it will use them.

Also, this extra nutrient, along with a blast of oxygen is going to increase the production of proteins at cell level across the board, especially if the plant is getting plenty of CO2 (the carbon source the plants use to actually “build” themselves). This means thicker stronger stems with shorter inter-nodal spacing, as well as lush deep green healthy foliage.

Which is also better equipped to handle the complicated conversions as a result of the photosynthetic processes the plant carries out, in the creation of the sugars and starch’s necessary to feed it.

As a result of this mad growth, your plants will supply readily, the smaller side branch’s necessary to facilitate a productive run of cuttings.

So, no matter what your chosen growing method is, get some hydrogen peroxide in the grow room.

Either used for oxygenation, or for pathogen destruction and prevention, or as a cleaning agent, H2O2 fills all these roles and more, with aplomb.

Hey LED Tester
Where can I get to 33% stuff if not at a drugstore?

Evolution Of A GrowCab-From The School of hard Knocks
Grow Cab Ventilation Redesign-All About Heat

The problem with h2o2 is it also kills the beneficial bacteria in your soil. If your growing hydro it would probably be fine but in soil you don't want to kill the beneficial bacteria.

The problem with h2o2 is it also kills the beneficial bacteria in your soil. If your growing hydro it would probably be fine but in soil you don't want to kill the beneficial bacteria.

How long does the beneficial bacteria last in your soil? I have heard things about peroxide killing beneficial bacteria, however i believe it to be mostly untrue since beneficial bacteria love oxygen.

Hey LED Tester
Where can I get to 33% stuff if not at a drugstore?

Evolution Of A GrowCab-From The School of hard Knocks
Grow Cab Ventilation Redesign-All About Heat

Hydro store, on line....Health Norm - H2O2 - 35 % Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide - Aqueous Solution Feed stores should have it to.

How long does the beneficial bacteria last in your soil? I have heard things about peroxide killing beneficial bacteria, however i believe it to be mostly untrue since beneficial bacteria love oxygen.

I use all kinds of beneficials in my Hydro. Both fungal and bacterial. These friendlies do love oxygen, but as you were saying about the single atom oxygen picking fights with pythium (fungus) and bacteria, The breaking Oxygen molecules will not tell the difference. You can use it as an oxygenator when using beneficials, but you have to use a more dilute strength. (I'm not sure if 1.5ml per gallon would be too strong or not).

I try to work around this issue by only using H2O2 on those rare occasions when my beneficials let a nasty slip by, in which case I use about what your recommending and soon after I will re-introduce the beneficials.

:popcorn:

I read on another thread that H2O2 should not be used if you use Organic Nutes in Deep Water Culture, like Botanicare. Supposedly the H2O2 kills the "good stuff" in organic nutes. Any truth to that?

:smokin:yep. chlorine from your tapwater can also kill em' off depending on the concentration. you can filter it or set it out overnight to lose the chlorine. i think you can also get some liquid drops that remove it, but i havent looked too much into that myself.

:smokin:yep. chlorine from your tapwater can also kill em' off depending on the concentration. you can filter it or set it out overnight to lose the chlorine. i think you can also get some liquid drops that remove it, but i havent looked too much into that myself.

I'm sorry jason but I have to disagree with you and here's why:

Nature is the best gardener of all-hence-ORGANIC FERTILIZERS

i agree, but by 'good stuff' i believed that he meant beneficial fungus and bacteria, in which case:

To make a nutrient solution and root zone enjoy as many of the benefits of soil, without suffering the disadvantages of soil, many hydroponic growers choose to supplement their garden with beneficial bacteria. These helpful microbes can make a whole host of improvements to both your hydroponic system and your plants by correcting atmospheric nitrogen, increasing nutrient uptake, and decreasing the instances of disease. It is a shame that a significant portion of these growers do not enjoy the full spectrum of benefits that can be gained from beneficial bacteria because they make small, but important, errors during application. To make sure your investment in beneficial bacteria for your hydroponics system does not go to waste, learn to identify and avoid these common errors.

Forgetting to Use Bacteria for Clones and Seeds - It is strange, but even growers who know and understand the benefits of using beneficial bacteria will often only use them for their primary hydroponics system or systems and will not use them when propagating through seeds or cuttings. This is a huge mistake because at these delicate young stages are when your plants need the most help. This absolutely pertinent when cloning where the difference between poorly fed young roots and adequately feed young roots can spell the difference between success and failure, using beneficial microbes is crucial. These microbes will help your cuttings and seeds make the most possible efficient use out of your nutrient solution, thus helping ensure greater odds off success. Many hydroponic manufacturers even recommend that products that contain these bacteria should be used at two three times the normal concentrations when used for propagating plants.

Simultaneously Using Hydrogen Peroxide - One of the cheapest and easiest ways to oxygenate your nutrient solution is to use hydrogen peroxide. This can particularly be helpful if your solution is lacking in oxygen or your roots are suffering form root rot. However, this compound is also a very potent bacteria killer and it will completely rid your reservoir of bacteria, both the good and bad kind, if you use it inappropriately. While hydrogen peroxide certainly has its uses, it is generally better to use an air pump in your reservoir for oxygenation while using beneficial bacteria.

..again, this is IMO a little more difficult to sustain than using H2o2, but more beneficial in the long run.

Here's some more guys and dolls!

The Many Uses of Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide

Hot Tubs
Check with the hot tub manufacturer to determine the compatibility of your system with H2O2. The average size hot tub could be started up with one of two liters or more of 35% H2O2 until it tests 40 parts per million (ppm). Turn the circulation pump on to distribute it evenly during the next 24 hours. Add enough hydrogen peroxide from time to time to maintain it approximately 40 ppm, 3 to 6 ounces daily.

Additional Uses for Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide

Vegetable Soak:
Add ¼ cup H2O2 to a full sink of cold water. Soak light skinned (light lettuce) 20 minutes, thicker skinned (like cucumbers) 30 minutes. Drain, dry and refrigerate. Prolongs freshness.

If time is problem, spray vegetable (and fruits) with a solution of 3%. Let stand for a few minutes, rinse and dry.

Leftover Tossed Salad:
Spray with solution of ½ cup water and 1 tablespoon of 3%. Drain, cover and refrigerate.

To Freshen Kitchen:
Keep a spray bottle of 3% in the kitchen. Use it to wipe off counter tops and appliances. It will disinfect and give the kitchen a fresh smell. Works great to clean refrigerator and kids school lunch boxes.

Marinade:
Place meat, fish or poultry in a casserole (avoid using aluminum pans). Cover with a dilute solution of equal parts of water and H2O2. Place loosely covered in refrigerator for ½ hour. Rinse and cook.

In the Dishwasher:
Add 2 ounces of 3% H2O2 to your regular washing formula.

Sprouting Seeds:
Add 1 ounce of 3% H2O2 to 1 pint of water and soak the seeds overnight. Add the same amount of H2O2 each time you rinse the seeds.

House and Garden Plants:
Put 1 ounce of 3% H2O2 in 1 quart water. Water or mist plants with this solution.

Humidifiers and Steamers:
Mix 1 pint of 3% H2O2 to 1 gallon of water.

Laundry:
Add 8 ounces of 3% to your wash in place of bleaches.

Shower:
Keep a spray bottle of 3% H2O2 in the shower. Spray body after washing to replace the acid mantle on your skin that soap removes.

Facial:
Use 3% on cotton ball as a facial freshener after washing.

Bath:
Add 6 ounces of 35% H2O2 to ½ tub of water. May increase H2O2 up to 2 cups per bath. Soak at least at ½ hour.

Alternate Bath:
Add ½ cup of 35% H2O2, ½ cup sea salt, ½ cup baking soda or Epsom salts to bath water and soak.

Foot Soak:

Add 1 ½ ounces of 35% H2O2, to 1 gallon water and soak.

Mouthwash:
Use 3% H2O2. Add a dash of liquid chlorophyll for flavoring if desired.

Toothpaste:
Add baking soda and add enough 3% H2O2 to make a paste. Or just dip your brush in 3% H2O2 and brush.

Hydroponics:
For every 30 gallons of nutrient solution, pre-dilute three to six tablespoons of 35% H2O2 to a gallon of natural water. Then slowly add to the nutrient solution, stirring gently. If you are mixing up a fresh batch of nutrient solution, pour in half of the water first (preferably with a high purity of essence) and add the H2O2. Add the nutrients to the other half, then gently combine the two halves.

All references taken from:
Flood Your Body With Oxygen
By Ed McCabe

i agree, but by 'good stuff' i believed that he meant beneficial fungus and bacteria, in which case:

To make a nutrient solution and root zone enjoy as many of the benefits of soil, without suffering the disadvantages of soil, many hydroponic growers choose to supplement their garden with beneficial bacteria. These helpful microbes can make a whole host of improvements to both your hydroponic system and your plants by correcting atmospheric nitrogen, increasing nutrient uptake, and decreasing the instances of disease. It is a shame that a significant portion of these growers do not enjoy the full spectrum of benefits that can be gained from beneficial bacteria because they make small, but important, errors during application. To make sure your investment in beneficial bacteria for your hydroponics system does not go to waste, learn to identify and avoid these common errors.

Forgetting to Use Bacteria for Clones and Seeds - It is strange, but even growers who know and understand the benefits of using beneficial bacteria will often only use them for their primary hydroponics system or systems and will not use them when propagating through seeds or cuttings. This is a huge mistake because at these delicate young stages are when your plants need the most help. This absolutely pertinent when cloning where the difference between poorly fed young roots and adequately feed young roots can spell the difference between success and failure, using beneficial microbes is crucial. These microbes will help your cuttings and seeds make the most possible efficient use out of your nutrient solution, thus helping ensure greater odds off success. Many hydroponic manufacturers even recommend that products that contain these bacteria should be used at two three times the normal concentrations when used for propagating plants.

Simultaneously Using Hydrogen Peroxide - One of the cheapest and easiest ways to oxygenate your nutrient solution is to use hydrogen peroxide. This can particularly be helpful if your solution is lacking in oxygen or your roots are suffering form root rot. However, this compound is also a very potent bacteria killer and it will completely rid your reservoir of bacteria, both the good and bad kind, if you use it inappropriately. While hydrogen peroxide certainly has its uses, it is generally better to use an air pump in your reservoir for oxygenation while using beneficial bacteria.

..again, this is IMO a little more difficult to sustain than using H2o2, but more beneficial in the long run.

I suppose whenever you use anything inappropriately you'll have some discourse but this guy uses both everyday in his rez....now mind you this is not an organic grow from a nute stand point but I'm still trying to figure out what these girls are on....lol

000_0021.jpg

Can you spot something organic in this one?...LOL
000_0025.jpg

Here's some more guys and dolls!

The Many Uses of Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide

Hot Tubs
Check with the hot tub manufacturer to determine the compatibility of your system with H2O2. The average size hot tub could be started up with one of two liters or more of 35% H2O2 until it tests 40 parts per million (ppm). Turn the circulation pump on to distribute it evenly during the next 24 hours. Add enough hydrogen peroxide from time to time to maintain it approximately 40 ppm, 3 to 6 ounces daily.

Additional Uses for Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide

Vegetable Soak:
Add ¼ cup H2O2 to a full sink of cold water. Soak light skinned (light lettuce) 20 minutes, thicker skinned (like cucumbers) 30 minutes. Drain, dry and refrigerate. Prolongs freshness.

If time is problem, spray vegetable (and fruits) with a solution of 3%. Let stand for a few minutes, rinse and dry.

Leftover Tossed Salad:
Spray with solution of ½ cup water and 1 tablespoon of 3%. Drain, cover and refrigerate.

To Freshen Kitchen:
Keep a spray bottle of 3% in the kitchen. Use it to wipe off counter tops and appliances. It will disinfect and give the kitchen a fresh smell. Works great to clean refrigerator and kids school lunch boxes.

Marinade:
Place meat, fish or poultry in a casserole (avoid using aluminum pans). Cover with a dilute solution of equal parts of water and H2O2. Place loosely covered in refrigerator for ½ hour. Rinse and cook.

In the Dishwasher:
Add 2 ounces of 3% H2O2 to your regular washing formula.

Sprouting Seeds:
Add 1 ounce of 3% H2O2 to 1 pint of water and soak the seeds overnight. Add the same amount of H2O2 each time you rinse the seeds.

House and Garden Plants:
Put 1 ounce of 3% H2O2 in 1 quart water. Water or mist plants with this solution.

Humidifiers and Steamers:
Mix 1 pint of 3% H2O2 to 1 gallon of water.

Laundry:
Add 8 ounces of 3% to your wash in place of bleaches.

Shower:
Keep a spray bottle of 3% H2O2 in the shower. Spray body after washing to replace the acid mantle on your skin that soap removes.

Facial:
Use 3% on cotton ball as a facial freshener after washing.

Bath:
Add 6 ounces of 35% H2O2 to ½ tub of water. May increase H2O2 up to 2 cups per bath. Soak at least at ½ hour.

Alternate Bath:
Add ½ cup of 35% H2O2, ½ cup sea salt, ½ cup baking soda or Epsom salts to bath water and soak.

Foot Soak:

Add 1 ½ ounces of 35% H2O2, to 1 gallon water and soak.

Mouthwash:
Use 3% H2O2. Add a dash of liquid chlorophyll for flavoring if desired.

Toothpaste:
Add baking soda and add enough 3% H2O2 to make a paste. Or just dip your brush in 3% H2O2 and brush.

Hydroponics:
For every 30 gallons of nutrient solution, pre-dilute three to six tablespoons of 35% H2O2 to a gallon of natural water. Then slowly add to the nutrient solution, stirring gently. If you are mixing up a fresh batch of nutrient solution, pour in half of the water first (preferably with a high purity of essence) and add the H2O2. Add the nutrients to the other half, then gently combine the two halves.

All references taken from:
Flood Your Body With Oxygen
By Ed McCabe

Sweet! I never knew you could use peroxide for so many things!!!

BTW, I'm not trying to rain on your parade, I just thought that I would throw in a little food for thought. There are lots of ways to do the same thing.
:nicethread::goodjob::peacetwo:

I suppose whenever you use anything inappropriately you'll have some discourse but this guy uses both everyday in his rez....now mind you this is not an organic grow from a nute stand point but I'm still trying to figure out what these girls are on....lol

000_0021.jpg

Can you spot something organic in this one?...LOL
000_0025.jpg

My favorite garden friend!!! Ah the fun times we've had.:cheer:

I don't use organic fertilizers, but try to incorporate soil techniques into my garden, and can tell you that my yields have increased by doing so. (Dirty little secret; I have a bottle of peroxide on the sidelines just incase the poo hits the fan.)

I don't mean to be critical, but as I read people's advice I wonder why they are so vague.
Growers looking for advice generally have little or no experience and when you say
I don't use organic fertilizers, but try to incorporate soil techniques into my garden, and can tell you that my yields have increased by doing so. (Dirty little secret; I have a bottle of peroxide on the sidelines just incase the poo hits the fan.)

It is very vague and hard to understand. It doesn't mention how much you use, or when, or in what concentrations or even in what setup.

Like I said I'm not specifically picking on you I just think there should be info.

It helps all.

so is the tsp . per gallon the ratio for us noobs or is it closer to the 2 tsp per 10 gallon which i use in my bubble bucket?

Didn't mean to hijack, but I've just read on Dutch Masters' site that H2O2 when still active can do damage to the roots and should not be used in hydro unless you are flushing the system.

What about Iodine? One drop per gallon kills all the slimy nozzle-cloggers in no time without much effect on the other things. Why peroxide?

Back
Top Bottom