Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Hydroton cleaning

420 Member

Hydroton cleaning

whats the best way way to clean hydroton before reusing?
    has to be pain in ass no matter how you look at it.
    just flushing with water or would you use a cleaner of some sorts
    Thanks Wink

Re: hydroton cleaning

yeah this is a good question....i've seen on a few grow journals where people soak their hydroton in pH 5.5-6.0 water in between grows....

im honestly not really sure why this done....

Blog Entries

I used peroxide myself. Bubbled the organic matter right off. then rinsed them really well and away I went.

The easiest way to clean hydroton is to throw it out and buy new each grow. unless your using very small amounts. Then it's not quite so daulting to clean it out. When I did try cleaning it in the beginning I got a 5 gallon bucket and drilled lots of holes into it. Filled it with hydroton and let the water run through it. This did clean up all the dirty crap but the roots are another story. That's why I just buy new each grow. The time I was spending cleaning was not worth it to me.

Using the 5 gallon bucket method is a very good way to clean the new hydroton of all that dust before using it in your garden. Just make sure your holes are smaller then the hydroton. I drilled the entire bottom and sides of the bucket.

420 Member

wish i could but to fill a 2 X 4 tray every 2 mnths might get a little expensive. i figure 50L bag + some. As i promised the better half i wouldnt peddle any smoke to pay for anything and living on SS disabilty makes things tight.
    Wink

I've heard you should use a negatively charged cleaning solution like Clearex to flush hydroton before reuse.

Plant of the Month: Third Place Winner tintala's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have been using simple gree, full strength with no problems , now I have discovered that SIMPLE GREEN has made an anitbacterial cleaning solution that smells great too, i now use this as it should disinfect the pellets. I DO make sure it's rinsed thouroughly tho.

Plant of the Month: Third Place Winner tintala's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I also use a 5 gal bucket with holes drilled in the bottom up to about 4 or 5 inches from the bottom, allows for quick drainage.

Quote Originally Posted by Winkster1 View Post
    wish i could but to fill a 2 X 4 tray every 2 mnths might get a little expensive. i figure 50L bag + some. As i promised the better half i wouldnt peddle any smoke to pay for anything and living on SS disabilty makes things tight.
    Wink
    What are you doing with your hydroton that requires so much? Larger scale grow? That seems like a lot to go through every 2 months. Is it possible to cut back on what you do use to stretch it out a little longer? I'm on my 5th grow with my current big bag and still have more than half left. Think green and reduce if possible.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AjaniVengeant View Post
    At the very least I would recomend washing off you hydroton in the very begining no matter what. I failed to do this step and now my plants are full of red mold and im pretty sure I have to scrap the whole thing and start again.
    not rinsing won't cause mold. It will allow the red powder to stain things but it's not mold.

You can clean clay rock growing medium by removeing all organic matter and washing with a solution of 1 part bleach and 1 part water. Then make sure it is rinsed very well like....

Or like mentioned before, clearx, or floraclean. I would expect these products to be a whole lot safer than the bleach.

Im no expert (hope to be one someday )but i went out and got a big ass strainer that props up right over my sink and just sprayed those bitches off with a hose. I just use straight water and this has worked for me.

im sure peroxide couldnt hurt however.

interesting PitViper in another thread said
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

150 ltrs fills 20 2 gallon pots

32.95 per 50ltr bag....do not clean and reuse.ph becomes erratic on the 2nd grow, ive been using hydroton nonstop for a year and know its limitations...

I wonder if pitviper uses hygrozyme or the like. I need to read more of pits threads....

never mind
    Last edited by Deborah Dahl; 10-13-2010 at 12:51 PM. Reason: remove my name

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast