Thread: Controlling PH with Pool products Ph Down & Ph Up?

Controlling PH with Pool products Ph Down & Ph Up?

Hi guys ... first time hydro setup here ... almost month and a half into veg grow and I'm finding my PH at approx 7.5 - 8 (....yes way too high). Can I use my products i have for my swimming pool to adjust the Ph level in my reservoir container(Ph Up & Ph Down)? Also, just wondering how much water I need for 6-8 plants; I have 5 going right now but i think 60-70 litres (16-18 gallons) might be too much. I have some yellowing going on on my White Widow and just a little on the a branch or two of my Sweet Tooth. The temp in this enclosed space in basement closet pantry (I have kids in computer room beside it :-)) was way too high at first due to poor ventilation - i finally got it down on monday to about 78 F. I am using a continuous drip.

also, Anyone in the Toronto GTA with recommendations where to find a stanley blower for my flower room give me a shout - I currently have a 120 cfm inline Nutone fan but it is not effective in drawing the air thru my air cooled HPS light and filter thru 20 feet of duct to outside). :-))

Re: Controlling PH with Pool products Ph Down & Ph Up???

no, you can't use pH up or down made for pools or aquariums because the main ingredient is Sodium Phosphate or a similar compound using those 2 elements which will become toxic to the plants due to the high sodium content, you need a specifically designed pH up & down which are made by a couple companies, I picked up a 1 gallon/ 4 liter bottle of pH down made by Technaflora for $18 today, General Hydroponics also has their own line but they're a little bit more expensive. See if you you have a hydro store or garden center by doing a google search in your area, a hydro store definately will and some garden centers might...

You need to get a bottle asap b/c you're going to get major nute lockout soon at that high of a pH.
    When you take from those who will and give to those who won't, a democracy will cease to exist. When half of the people get the idea that they don't have to work b/c the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work b/c somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.

Quote Originally Posted by 311stoner View Post
    no, you can't use pH up or down made for pools or aquariums because the main ingredient is Sodium Phosphate or a similar compound using those 2 elements which will become toxic to the plants due to the high sodium content, you need a specifically designed pH up & down which are made by a couple companies, I picked up a 1 gallon/ 4 liter bottle of pH down made by Technaflora for $18 today, General Hydroponics also has their own line but they're a little bit more expensive. See if you you have a hydro store or garden center by doing a google search in your area, a hydro store definately will and some garden centers might...

You need to get a bottle asap b/c you're going to get major nute lockout soon at that high of a pH.

Hi ..... i picked some pH down at pet store after work today and immediately started dripping it in but needed to use my pool test strips for now until i can get a new battery tonight and get back inside after the kids go to bed... thx

well you might be able to use it as a very short term solution but as I said it will give you problems down the road whereas hydro pH up and down won't.
    When you take from those who will and give to those who won't, a democracy will cease to exist. When half of the people get the idea that they don't have to work b/c the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work b/c somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.

I got a Question....
    I bought TOP FIN ph down at the pet store... it has sodium methanal sulfoxylate, and water... could that cause a cal. defin.?
    Check out my journal and you can see my problem.
    Thanks

I believe 311stoner is right on the money, the first ingredient is sodium.......salt. Its no good. Order some online if you have to.
    Last edited by flyfishinrock; 01-15-2009 at 10:32 AM. Reason: duh cant spell
    Ask Yourself, what would Willie do?
    WW & Mazar-I-Sharif grow
    DOUBLE STRAWBERRY DIESEL

I use cider vinegar or lemon juice to make it more acid, Baking soda for alkaline. Start small, mix in growing solution very well. Ck Ph again and repeat till desired Ph.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fineas View Post
    I use cider vinegar or lemon juice to make it more acid, Baking soda for alkaline. Start small, mix in growing solution very well. Ck Ph again and repeat till desired Ph.
    Those will work for emergencies but they lack buffers which keeps the adjustment steady. Your ph will drift more often, sooner and more drastically with the vinegar, juice and soda. the best bet is to buy a bottle of the real stuff. it's cheap and a few drops go a long way.

Seriously go buy the right stuff already. Racefan and 311 stoner are dead on and have given you excellent information. You should follow it.