Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ebb and gro questions

Re: Ebb and gro questions

You may need to replace or clean your lines after each grow. At the very least every other grow. Build up will happen no matter what nutrients your using. I usually replace my lines every other grow to avoid disaster. I would definately get yourself a moisture meter so you can periodically check your buckets when the cycle is filling.

Quote Originally Posted by pitviper View Post
    tell me bout the moisture meter, I have no issue changing my lines as ness, jeez for what ive spent WTF is some more hose, I just got 3 6 pot add ons. My ultimate goal is to use a second ebb for veg and just drop the pots into bloom and keep cycling. any thoughts?
    The moisture meter I have is basically a cheap light meter/moisture meter combo. It has a metal probe on a wire. I just push the probe into the hydroton and it tells me if the bucket has filled up or not. I'll get you the info later tonight after I go down and see what brand it is.

As far as your plan to use 2 Ebbs. That's exactly what I plan to do in the spring. I'm thinking about phasing out my need for mothers. I'll take clones about 21 days into flower and put them right into my veg EBB. This will give them time to adjust and grow roots and be ready when the others are harvested. Should be able to harvest every 2 months. The bucket inside bucket design is perfect for this. Only time I'll need mothers is when I introduce a new strain.

Just tie her down and she'll do fine. Little LST won't hurt her.
    Here's the tester I have. It doesn't use batteries. It just....works?

Is the rockwool supposed to some what float a little while the system is on flood? I mean they're only a week old so still small, i'm guessing as they get bigger they'll hold themselves down but I wasnt sure if there was to much water or not enough medium in it? Or is that how it's supposed to look at this point?

Sorry took so long to respond. I don't always answer the questions right away. Sometimes I come back later on in the day when I have more time to answer them. And ofcourse, I forgot completly about yours.

I usually run about 300 PPM for clones into early veg.
    600-800 PPM for veg.
    900-1400 for flowering. I start out at 900 and work my way up through flowering. later into flowering I do have PPM spikes due to the loss of water from the plants uptake.

wtf??

420 Member

Is it worth spending the money on the 55 gal drum that comes with the system, or should I just buy the controller and 2 six pot add ons and get a free 55 gal drum?
    I don't understand why they charge like $119 for just the RES?

You can use anything for a resevoir. You just have to make sure you that you use the anti-siphon piece that comes with the unit. The resevoir that comes with the system has a lid with 2 connections on the top where the intake and outtake hoses hook up to. There is also a large hole in the lid where you can easily put nutrients through. Other then that there really is nothing special about it.

420 Member

Thanks stix
    So you say the lid has connections? like barbed hose fittings out the top and bottom that the hoses slide onto?

Also, what is the least ammount of water you can put in the res and still be able to fill all 12 buckets?

Quote Originally Posted by JDJP View Post
    Thanks stix
    So you say the lid has connections? like barbed hose fittings out the top and bottom that the hoses slide onto?

Also, what is the least ammount of water you can put in the res and still be able to fill all 12 buckets?
    yeah, it has barbed connections.

The buckets are 2 gallons each. With the hydroton it will take about a gallon of nutrient. Keep in mind optimum nutrient amount would be 5 gallons per plant but really isn't veasible. I would use atleast 2 gallons per plant. The more nutrient you use per plant the less PH flucuation you will have as well as PPM flucuation. As your plant take in nutrients your PPM will rise. So, its a good idea to use as much nutrient as possible from the beginning. You also need to be careful not to run your pump dry. It will ruin it over time. I myself have always filled my resevoir all the way up. Don't forget to keep an airstone in the resevoir running 24/7.

Quote Originally Posted by CannabisLeo View Post
    You have a really nice grow, so nice in fact it forced me to register just to comment. Those roots look fantastic man. I'm definitely getting one of those systems on the next upgrade.

May I make a few friendly helpful suggestions, you should consider switching to higromite which is volcanic silica rock with 100% water retention by weight. The Silica will supercharge your cell walls in the plants giving you thicker stronger stems faster, they'll be more fungus, pest, weather, and disease resistant, as a side benefit they do not float like hydroton.

If you don't want to switch to higromite because of costs, you should consider getting some silica blast or something like it. GH makes silica blast.

If you can convert over to a 400 watt magnetic core HPS ballast and get a Philips Retro White HPS bulb, which is really a Ceramic Metal Halide bulb retrofits for HPS ballasts. That slaughters HPS or MH, combined at equal wattage.

Good luck in the future your grow already looks fantastic but those two things I clued you onto could make them even nicerrrrrrr

Not quite sure who's grow your referring to. This is a thread about the Cap Ebb & Gro system. I don't recall seeing any pictures of roots in this thread either.

no prob. uptake from the plants and water evaporation will cause ppm to rise. The water evaporates but the nutrients to not.
    Last edited by Stix; 03-26-2009 at 04:53 PM.

420 Member

Stix, are you using general hydroponics nutes still? Do you have to adjust the ph in the res on every refill?

Yes I am. I almost always have to ph down my nutrient solution during a nutrient change. Only time I can get away not having to ph adjust my nutrient change is when I'm in late phase blooming nutrients. My tap water's PH is about 7.5 which means I have to ph down adjust my nutes all through veg. My blooming nutrients have a lower ph value, so the more I put in the more it drops my resevoir all by itself. Late in my blooming phase I don't have to ph adjust my nutes at all during a nutrient change.

420 Member

If you were using R/O water at 7.0 would you still have to adjust?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast