Whats the ideal soil temperature

stewbacca6

Anyone know? Im looking more for ideal soil temperature in the growing and flowering stages of the plant, not the germination stage.

Thanks

well Im building a box and the soil will be somewhat separate from the plant, and im trying to figure if it would do better if it was slightly cooler than the air temperature, like in nature. I read somewhere that 62 F was optimum but im not sure if thats correct.

Hey Stewbacca..
SN33 was pretty dead on with his statement. But I think you're looking for a specific number. In your case RZT(Root Zone Temperature) is of importance to you. The optimal temperature for RZT is 72 degrees as per Ed Rosenthal. Remember that its not just the soil and the roots that you are worried about, but also all the microorganisms and normal flora of bacteria that help break down the soil and nutes. They all have "optimum temperature ranges" for function as well and that is right around 70-75. Where did you read about the 62 degrees?, because at about 57 degrees(RZT) the uptake of N, P and other macro nutrients are inhibited, this leading to retarding growth.
Some strains do tolerate 60-70 degree weather/climate, so i suppose that they could also tolerate a lower RZT. Generally speaking you wanna keep the temps in the late 60's and early 70's tho.

Hope this helps stew :surf:

Anyone know? Im looking more for ideal soil temperature in the growing and flowering stages of the plant, not the germination stage.

Thanks
It is important and something that you should worry about. The soil will turn the same at the tent unless you use water techniques. You can spray the outside of your pots with cold water to help keep them in the 68/72 area.. You want to keep your benificials thriving and they do this right under 70°f . try to keep them under 75f if not you will get ph issues

Back
Top Bottom