Best soil to use?

jabroni88

Hi I've looked in garden centres an can only find d standard garden soil? Can any1 point me in d right direction of what soil to get? Thanks :D

I have been using Fox Farm Ocean Forest which is premium but tends to be hot.....Unfortunately my supply house is moving away so I will be looking for an alternative.

jab

I use Promix Organic as a base and add some MagikMoss from a local garden center and my plants love it.
ProMix.jpg

MagikMoss.jpg

I have also used this and it was good.
Fertilome.jpg

Next grow I am considering trying some of this.
DrEarth_potofgold.png

Hi, in my opinion based on what I've seen, the best soil is the one you make yourself, then you'll know exactly what's in it and in what amounts, it's not even a difficult to do

I make my own, but use peat moss from the same people that make Pro Mix (Premier). Excellent quality, I've used it for over 30 years.

A grower I know uses the Kelloggs mentioned above, amended, with excellent results.

DD

I agree with what chronic grower said.... just find a general base soil (organic) with no synthetic fertilizers. Look up subcool's soil recipe, supersoil or even look into organic soil growing. Get yourself some perlite, organic peat or forest humus, worm casings, and some bat guano's, and kelp meal. Don't forget to add some natural minerals to your soil as well with greensand, lava sand, zeolite, azamite or other rock based minerals.... A mix like this and you should have some pretty happy plants :)

Thanks " Ice " I've seen on here that you're pretty on top off things so the props are appreciated, also you hit on the rest of the story exactly, the additives and rock powder minerals are totally necessary for a complete growing medium. Props to you bro !

Thanks peoples appreciate it but unfortunately I can't get half of that stuff were I am. I've tried garden centres and average hardwares but no results beat thing I can get is miracle grow, an I've heard awful things about that.

You can do better than Miracle Grow at HomeDepot or Lowe's.

Keep it Growing Chronicly !!​

I know what you mean-- until Michigan became "Legal" and grow shops started popping up, all we had was Home Depot & Walmart!

Try Miracle Grow all Organic mix.... it's pretty good. add a good dose of pearlite (make sure it does NOT have nutrients added!) 4 parts soil to 1 part pearlite...

What do you plan to use for nutrients? Try finding some Espoma Flower-tone (Plant-Tone if that's all they have) and follow the instructions on the bag. Mix it into the soil you buy at LEAST a week ahead and wet it to get it activated. It is all organic.. so you MAY need some additional nutes later on IF they do not activate very quickly.
Look at the nutrient/feeding chart here on the boards to help with that area!!!
:thumb: LZ

j-bro

I used MG moisture control, which is coir, in my first bag seed grow. The plants were healthy, but I can't say much for the quality or taste of the weed. If I were to use MG soils again, I might try the organic type.

I'm sure the local garden center should have something besides the big name soils that would work.

Even the local Big Lots carries Black Magic, which I also used the first grow. But like I said earlier, nothing special. I think it was from lack of experience, not fertilized properly, and weak lighting, and soso bag seed.

I would get decent soil from the garden center and do one of two things

simple
1. Add a recommended dose of OC+, maybe an additive or two like SnowstormUltra, Molasses, Azomite, water and wait. It turned out some great bud for me. This grow I am using this blend on one plant plus StumpTea and it is the biggest healthiest plant in the room.

an organic mix
2. Add a recommended dose of an organic boxed nute, and some minerals like Azomite, Borax, Soft Rock Phosphate, Powdered Limestone etc, Worm Castings, SSU, Molasses, water with a Tea. The box organics I use have a lot of the goodies in it that are recommended in supersoil or a few of the other good blends guys make themselves I have learned about on here. But for a small batch like 3 or 4 buckets, it is easy to scoop it out and mix it in. That is whats in the other plants in my current grow and the test buds are awesome.

And the Teas are what get the high brix thing going that you might want to read up about in Doc Buds journal and Vapedogg223 to name a few.

I don't read much about this, but you can always dig up some nice top soil in the woods and sterilize it in an oven and go from there.

here is a bud of Critical+ grown in my 2/3 Promix organic 1/3 MagikMoss blend loaded with the OC+ etc.
it is so heavy it is bending over in the pic. Frosty and fragrant.
Critical_bud_7wks_flwr.jpg

here is a bud of Green Poison grown in same soils but with the organic nutes loaded in the soil.
Green_Poison_bud_7wks_flwr.jpg

The Lowe's near me carries 3.8 cubic ft. bales of Premier brand peat moss and I know they have dolomite lime. Go online look for free shipping on hydroponic supplies on orders over $100 and order the 5.5kg bales of botanicare coco (they make close to 8 gallons per block). I got 6 bales and 2 small things of cloning gel shipped to the door for $102.00...Southern States carries 4cu ft of perlite for 17.00 and 20lb bags of Worm Castings for $20. Plus they have about any amendment you can think of...If that fails stop by some nurseries and ask about buying some of their custom mix. The one near me uses sunshine #1 as a base mix and sells bales for 25.00

IF you do not mind paying shipping, there is a real good mix called "M3 Medical Marijuana Mix" made & sold in Michigan through "Plant Paradise" and a couple other outlets-- you can find them (The M3 Folks) on Facebook and ask them the best way to get it.

We REALLY like it-- all organic & everything you need to get to week 2 of flower-- then just add their "Pappas Perfect Poop" organics OR any organic formula that is a COMPLETE nutrient formula... a lot of mixing is not the way to get started as a newbie--- KISS... Keep It Simple Silly.... always the best way to go (IMO)

@ Hash Hound-- if you didn't like the flavor, maybe it was the nutes you used weren't flushed-out enough at the end-- or needed carbs?????

I was gonna chime in but the others said what you need to hear. Best thing you could do for your girls if you're serious is to get in the forums and read up on organic grows. Lotta cannacultivators here with mad knowledge you can tap into. If you're looking for fast and simple, go hydro. Being on this thread shows you're looking for the right info. Keep it here til you find journals with similar info. You're on the right track.
:peace:

Keep it Growing Chronicly !!​

I'm a newbie an jus trying to figure a few things out what nuts would u use with mr earth and type of lights do u reco
mend

Just look out for a soil bag that is ph 6/7 stable, and fertilized. some bags are already mixed with sand, sphagnum.
I use 50% soil, 25% clay pebbles and 25% sand.

For nutes, and if its your first grow i would start real simple. look for nutes that can be used from start to finish.

Lights i would say a minimum of 250w hps.

Just look out for a soil bag that is ph 6/7 stable, and fertilized. some bags are already mixed with sand, sphagnum.

Why would you want fertilized soil and then add more nutes?

I don't think you can ever completely flush at the end when you have a pre-fertilized soil.

Just my 2cents.

Back
Top Bottom