What Do You Think Of These Self-Watering Probes?

shuffledemon

I picked up some ceramic drip style cones that draw water from a line and allow the soil to pull it out of the ceramic (ie. porous) tip planted in the soil. They were very inexpensive so I figured no harm no foul, but I have read some folks who really like them.

61kEdsVB7hL_SL1500_.jpg

I don't have them pushed quite far enough into the soil yet since I want to see if I can feel the water in the reservoir at the top of each cone and on the cone itself a little. I don't trust these to my plants quite yet, so we are in "monitor carefully" mode.

Setup:

IMG_085931.JPG

Reservoir:

IMG_086128.JPG

Cone placement:

IMG_086221.JPG

Yeah, that plant needs a bit of a haircut on the bottom. Old burnt leaves.

I’ll keep you posted on how they work!

Mmm depends on how much water it drip feeds per hour etc per single unit ?

Size of plant = more transpiration & heat of grow room could well be a factor...

So more than one unit per pot may provide a suitable flow of water, i guess it is just a maths question really !

well as you did not bother to follow any of the directions that came with the system, i am sure the results did suck. however if you follow the directions and use either a pressure forced water source, or a gravity one at least 3 feet above the soil for every 10 feet of hose they work just fine one you dial them in. really good solution if you have to leave your garden unattended for a while............

Because of my job I'm required to travel and be away from home for up to a week or more. I purchased and installed a Trompf Bluemat system which is similar or same as the type shown in the first thread entry and I'm extremely pleased with the results.

Here are some pics of the watering cones that I use along with a pic of the gravity feed reservoir.

thumb_IMG_0769_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0768_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0772_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0782_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_1003_1024.jpg

These things work great as long as installed and used as directed by the manufacturer.

Back
Top Bottom