To rinse perlite or not to rinse perlite?

I didn't rinse mine. There are a lot of small particles of perlite that could be rinsed away if you're not careful/using a very very fine screen, but rinsing couldn't hurt.

Thanks for the info brother... Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds I should be careful "not" to wash away small particles of perlite..?

Perlite is classed as an inert growing medium of a neutral value so it does not effect PH value in any way...

How ever when handling dry perlite from the bag/sack the dust may aggravate the throat & cause coughing etc a dust mask should ideally be used.

Thanks for the info brother... Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds I should be careful "not" to wash away small particles of perlite..?

That is correct, but as Fuzzy kindly pointed out, it's an inert growing medium, unless the company has added nutrients or something, it should be good to go and use as is.

And also pay attention to what Fuzzy said about inhaling the dust. Safety first!

You can mist it a little bit before taking it out of the bag, so dust won't go flying all over the place.
I did that yesterday before starting to mix some soil and it really made the task easier.

Back
Top Bottom