Pro-Mix Potting Soil

NoLogo

Hello everyone!

So as usual I am planning my next grow way in advance lol, anyway I found this Pro-Mix Potting soil at my local hardware store and I remember reading about it in a few forum posts before.

This is the specific type I bought (not in that size, i got a 28L bag, thinking about going back getting a couple more bags)

Premier Horticulture – PRO-MIX growing mixes & Peat Moss: The ultimate growing performance

Anyone tried this soil before and had success with it? I'm sure it will be fine, just want to know if anyone has had any crazy good grows with it, or if you have any tips on adding worm castings or not adding things, anything along those lines.

Thanks again!

:peace:

You can play with the amounts, which is the nice thing about making your own mix. This should get you started:

10-20% Perlite: for added drainage and soil aeration. Use closer to 20% for flowering mixes.

10-30% Worm Castings: for nitrogen, added micronutrients and aeration.

1-2% Dolomite lime: Pro-Mix BX Seed and Clone has this already added! So I don't add it. Basic Pro-Mix, to my knowledge, does not. Dolomite lime helps stabilize the pH of the soil. Pro-Mix is mainly peat and as the peat breaks down the soil gets more acidic. Dolomite lime is used to combat this natural lowering of the pH.

2-4% Kelp meal and/or Guano: For additional macro/micornutrients.

I've been using Pro-Mix BX for a couple years and have had good results.I think i'm going to add some perlite to air it up a little..
I used to make my own soil and did good but I found Pro-Mix and am happy with it.

To be honset I have seen a mother that was over a year old and was in a bucket full of 80% perilite (the white balls). I don't know what else was in there, but it looked weird when I first saw it with a bucket full of white balls.

You can play with the amounts, which is the nice thing about making your own mix. This should get you started:

10-20% Perlite: for added drainage and soil aeration. Use closer to 20% for flowering mixes.

10-30% Worm Castings: for nitrogen, added micronutrients and aeration.

1-2% Dolomite lime: Pro-Mix BX Seed and Clone has this already added! So I don't add it. Basic Pro-Mix, to my knowledge, does not. Dolomite lime helps stabilize the pH of the soil. Pro-Mix is mainly peat and as the peat breaks down the soil gets more acidic. Dolomite lime is used to combat this natural lowering of the pH.

2-4% Kelp meal and/or Guano: For additional macro/micornutrients.

if lime isnt available do you think its best to use seedling mix than a basic potting mix? so that the ph will be more stable?

Can I get Pro Mix BX from Lowes or Home Depot? And would it be fine if its mixed with some MG soil?

Agway should have it year round.

if lime isnt available do you think its best to use seedling mix than a basic potting mix? so that the ph will be more stable?

If the soil mix uses peat as it's base, then the lime is very necessary. As the peat degrades the soil will become more acidic, the lime counteracts this. Read all the ingredients printed on the bag, most soil's containing peat have some lime mixed in already but some don't. You should be able to find lime without looking too hard. :peace:

I use Pro Mix exclusively for a soil base> I do not know if Lowes Of HD carry this in your region> They do not here on Hawaii> they are 3.8 cu ft bales> I applicate 2 cups of Hydrated Lime per 3.8 Cu ft. to begin seedings in or rooted cuttings after 2 weeks> no other nutes until the 2nd or 3rd week except Earth Juice Rootstock to help promote better root development. keepin it simple till the 3 week in vegatative growth using Earth Juice Grow every 3rd feeding> do not use a Granular Lime as this takes too long to break down< a powederd form is better suited for immediate response>

All of the shops in my area had sold out for Pro-Mix. After checking around at my local greenhouses, I found one local that uses Berger's Mix. After years of using Pro-Mix indoors, I have found that the Berger's Mix 06 (HP) is an ideal medium containing no initial ferts. Almost identical to Pro-Mix HP, I find it contains more of the larger coarse perlite not found in others.

I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd add this bit as it is often hard to locate many bails of PRO-MIX HP. I find my greenhouse has all the bails I ever need, and they don't look at me funny when pick up 20 3.8s

first time grower and im using pro mix/worm casting and ive gotten great results from it so yes i will keep using it . i want to say thank you to all guys/gals for all the helpful infomation that u have given me and many other nubies.

good additions no matter what mix you use pearlite kelp greensand bone meal compost humus blood meal

i use up to 1/4 or 1/3 pearlite and compost

1/4 to 1/2 cup blood meal {N} bonemeal {PHOS}
greensand {Phos and minerals} kelp[trace minerals]

humus depends on how mix feels same with worm castings
if i have it

all these act slowly to medium fast so you cant burn your plants like too much guano can

In the 80's I worked at a warehouse for a garden store. Many big black bales of Pro Mix followed me home. I had a friend who knew a grower that would provide you with cuttings, lights, etc. You provided the soil and containers. He would get half of your first 3 crops and then you owed him nothing more. I would harvest every 3 months. I went to Kmart and bought 30 round laundry baskets.(you should have been there !) I lined each one with trash bags and then filled them with Pro Mix. Worked great! We were told the cuttings were from Afghanistan. All I know is it was goooood!! After a year I became too paranoid and gave it up. Sigh.

in the 80's i worked at a warehouse for a garden store. Many big black bales of pro mix followed me home. I had a friend who knew a grower that would provide you with cuttings, lights, etc. You provided the soil and containers. He would get half of your first 3 crops and then you owed him nothing more. I would harvest every 3 months. I went to kmart and bought 30 round laundry baskets.(you should have been there !) i lined each one with trash bags and then filled them with pro mix. Worked great! We were told the cuttings were from afghanistan. All i know is it was goooood!! After a year i became too paranoid and gave it up. Sigh.

chicken s___t!!!! Clue :used for fertilizer lol

i forgot lime will i be ok or should i add and how, since I'm 10 days into a grow help

It Is alco pro mix I used per lite and worm casting not bad for newbie last grow was miracle grow auto flower? something. yielded 136gms not bad still got a ways to go to break even for not doing my research 1st GOOD DAY

Back
Top Bottom