Brash Wants Cannabis Legalised

Jacob Bell

Act leader Don Brash is calling for the decriminalisation of cannabis, saying prohibition of the drug has not worked.

He has told TVNZ's Q A programme policing cannabis costs millions of taxpayer dollars and clogs up the court system.

Brash, who announces his party's law and order policy today, said he has never been tempted to use marijuana or any other kind of drug, but the reality is the present law is not working.

He said it is estimated there are 400,000 New Zealanders using cannabis "on a fairly regular basis", 6,000 people are prosecuted every year over cannabis and $100 million of taxpayers' money is being used to police this law.

"It isn't working. The Law Commission has said it isn't working, the Global Commission on Drug Policy says it isn't working, I mean it's now recognised it ain't working."

Brash said there are "all kinds of things you can do" to restrict the use of cannabis.

"I'm not encouraging its use, I'm simply saying criminalising it has not worked."

Brash said: "Should the state be using $100 million of taxpayers' money to criminalise an activity which on the face of it does no harm to anybody? By criminalising it you simply give power to the gangs."

The Act leader also wants to see the right of self defence enshrined into the Bill of Rights.

He agreed this right is in the law now, but said quite frequently the police ignore that.

He said New Zealand has had "some awful cases" where people who have been attacked by serious criminals have been prosecuted by police for defending themselves.

abb4.jpg

News Hawk- Jacob Ebel 420 MAGAZINE
Source: tvnz.co.nz
Copyright: Television New Zealand Limited

There is an upswing in government leaders wanting to drop the drug war.
Unfortunately, not in this country.
Bastion of freedom? I think not.
Police state? Headed there now.
Oy vay !!

Back
Top Bottom