Alaska's Liberal Marijuana Laws Need The Clarity That Only Legalization Can Bring

The General

When I look at the state of Alaska's current laws on cannabis, I'm very confused at best. As a licensed medical grower who supplies my own spouse with her medicine, I've had a difficult time navigating the medical cannabis system in this state. I've read that I can have up to 4 ounces in my home. I've read somewhere else that I can only have up to one ounce. I've read that I'm allowed to grow up to six plants in my home. I've read that 24 plants is an OK number. And all of these conflicting rules say that the only way to obtain the plant is via some plant-based immaculate conception. Needless to say, for a regular guy like me, it's been a pain, and I really would like to walk down to a well-lit storefront and buy medicine from some tax-paying guy whose joy in life is to know about this stuff, and make sure it's safe to use.

My wife has an odd medical condition where her ligaments are very loose and weak. This condition, called Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, causes her other muscles to overcompensate, tightening to the point of painful cramping, causing her constant pain. This takes away her ability to do things I take for granted, like sit in a chair for more than half an hour, or walk down the street to the store.

We looked into medical marijuana after years of trying to find a quick-acting medicine that would treat her pain and muscle spasms, but wouldn't slowly kill her liver. Thankfully, we found that a combination of low-THC/high-CBD plant vaporization and application of cannabis-infused oil to her joints can reduce inflammation and spasms -- all without putting her into an opiate-induced haze. Though she still needs regular injections, some pills, and lots of help with everyday stuff, cannabis has improved her quality of life, and reduced her dependence on dangerous narcotics. Cannabis has become a valuable tool and it works well for our purposes.

For this reason, I am saddened by No on 2's nonsensical crusade against this plant. They've relied on scare tactics of the most laughable sort in their pursuit of ... something, though I'm not sure what that is yet. They keep telling people like me that they're OK with decriminalization, but taking money out of the black market and putting it into the hands of a well-regulated industry is a bad idea. They tell me that kids will get it, but don't mention that drug dealers don't check IDs.

They tell me that we should wait and see how things go Outside, but I thought we Alaskans didn't care how they do things Outside. They even have Frank Murkowski, of all people, lecturing Alaskans on the evils of well-run commercial enterprise (commentary, Oct. 5), which had me questioning more than just their motives.

I just want to follow the law, be a good citizen, and do the right thing for my family. And the right thing would be a whole lot easier if there was a well-regulated, legal system in place to take care of cannabis. It's here. It's not going away. And Alaskans are already using it for all manner of things, not just for having a good time. Let's punch a hole in the black market, keep kids safer, bring in some revenue, and take care of our suffering family members at the same time. Yes on 2 is common sense.

Outdoorgrow2.jpg

News Moderator - The General @ 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: Adn.com
Author: Tyler Emmott
Website: Alaska's liberal marijuana laws need the clarity that only legalization can bring | Alaska Dispatch

Back
Top Bottom