Medical Pot For Fido - Seattle Vets Offer Cannabis Cure For Pets

Shandar

Seattle - Medical marijuana is not just for people anymore. A pair of Seattle veterinarians is pioneering the use of pot to treat your pet.

Dr. Sarah Brandon, co-founder of Canna-Pet, says medical cannabis can relieve a number of animal ills.

"Cannibanoids control inflammation to reduce pain from arthritis," she says. "They can help reduce anxiety."

Brandon, a feline veterinarian, started Canna-Pet with colleague Dr. Greg Copas two months ago because they found traditional pet medicines can have undesirable side effects.

"Anti-inflammatories can cause vomiting," she says. "Opioids can cause decreased appetite."

These are also common arguments in favor of medical pot for humans. The difference, she says, is Canna-Pet capsules will not intoxicate your pet.

"We focus on the non-THC portions of the plant that seem to really have the best benefit without giving animals the high that recreational users seek," she says.

That's a good thing, Brandon says, because while some humans like to get high, your pets definitely do not.

"It certainly isn't pleasant for them," she says. "They don't understand why they feel different. They don't have any ability to calm down from it."

"Canna-Pet doesn't have enough THC in it to cause that high," she says.

That's why pet owners are unlikely to swipe the medicine for their own recreational use.

In fact, Brandon says, unlike medical pot, Canna-Pet is 100 percent legal, because it is made from hemp, not marijuana. It's considered a supplement, and is available without a presecription.

Brandon knows she and Copas invited extra scrutiny by naming their product after the cannabis plant. She says they deliberately chose to do so.

"We want people to understand that cannabis isn't some evil thing," she says. "It has its place in human medicine. It has its place in veterinary medicine. It is something that can be used conscientiously, and it can help a lot of critters."

Brandon says Canna-Pet will cost pet owners about a dollar a day.

dog-taking-medicine.jpg

News Moderator: Shandar @ 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News
Author: Corwin Haeck
Website: Medical pot for Fido: Seattle vets offer cannabis cure for pets | KOMO Newsradio Home | Seattle News, Weather and Traffic | KOMO Newsradio FM 97.7/AM 1000

i came across one of their booths at hempfest, they did have test results printed on their packages, but they did not have the true test paper from the labs that your speaking of and that i would like to see as well. as of now, i let my animals eat trimmed off leaves and flowers, its not heated and theyve always been fine. my cat gets hyper like its catnip. would not try and give them my oils i make though, maybe if i specifically made it with them in mind.

I&i

are cat kush is the same. our dog blaze doesnt mind it but he doesnt walk into clouds of smoke and lay down like the kitty ;)

my new boy ghost though, is to young to introduce yet. hes a 5 month pup. just lost a pup tooth playing tug o war the other night.

i love to see Animals being cured with cannabis.

the humboldt county dog Charlie was the first story i read! was great and set me on a path of wanting to introduce oils to my pets as well.

I&i

Some pets do like to get high.
Our cat follows my wife when she goes to smoke and wants second hand smoke blown in her face.
When she has had enough, she leaves :)

I thought I was crazy, I also have a cat that seems to "seek out" second-hand smoke. A few puffs though and he's done.
But it happens every time he notices someone partaking. The rest of the time he as normal a cat as will find...

Has to be something with the close comparison of cat nip haha. Anyone watch Shrek 2? Pussboots gets caught by a guard w a bag of cat nip "ugh it's not mine?" Ha

I&I

Back
Top Bottom