Blockage Of D.C. Pot Referendum Sparks Outcry & Protests

Shandar

Washington, UPI - A push by Rep. Andy Harris, R-Md., to block Washington, D.C.'s decriminalization of recreational marijuana as part of the government's spending bill has some residents angry.

The district in November voted to legalize marijuana, allowing adults to to possess up to two ounces of marijuana, grow up to six plants and give marijuana to other adults. The ballot initiative 71 had more than 70 percent support.

But the Home Rule Act of 1973 also gives Congress the power to veto any of the district's laws. Backed by support from Harris and other lawmakers, Congress agreed Tuesday to block the new marijuana law in D.C. as a rider in the government's new $1.1 trillion spending bill.

"I am glad Congress is going to, in a bipartisan way, uphold federal law to protect our youth by preventing legalization in Washington, D.C.," Harris said in a statement Wednesday morning. "Numerous studies show the negative impact regular recreational marijuana use has on the developing brain and on future economic opportunities for those who use this illegal drug."

The move sparked outcry by Initiative 71 supporters, who feel the federal government shouldn't have power over the referendum. Harris faced particular social media ridicule after interaction with reporters Wednesday.

Asked by a reporter from the liberal-leaning Talking Points Memo website if the rider violate's state's rights, Harris responded, "D.C.'s not a state."

"I'm sorry, it's not a state," he added.

andy1.jpg

News Moderator: Shandar @ 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: Top News, Latest headlines, Latest News, World News & U.S News - UPI.com
Author: Danielle Haynes
Website: Andy Harris comes under fire for D.C. pot referendum blockage - UPI.com

I read the bill and DC is placed in context with all the other states as a state - in the bill.:helpsmilie:Oh well.

One thing very cool in Colorado, if an initiative or referendum to change the State's Constitution is put on a ballot and passed by the people. The Governor by law MUST sign it into law and no state legislation can be brought to block it. That is written into the state's constitution. :reading420magazine:Amendment 64:love:was an example of that. Not only was the governor forced to sign it he was also forced to create a task force/committee that was tasked to design how the law was to be implemented etc. Amendments in this state are the strings that make our government dance like a puppet to our will.

Reading what happened in DC sickens me and makes me angry but all I can do besides writing my congress persons is invite everyone :passitleft:to come live here in Colorado. :love: It only takes 90 days to establish residency. We could use some help getting Fracking outlawed here while smoking some weed and watching them dance. We could use some help to get GMOs labeled as well, an energy amendment would be awesome! We have wind and sun that could be our main sources of energy and the slopes if you like skiing or camping. :green_heart: All are great with your own home grown weed and edibles, or you can always buy at a convenient recreational marijuana shop.:joint:

:allgood:

ya typical republican. surprise! When will the right wing just understand the GOP don't care about your freedom they like corporate freedom. Freedom to drug test everyone before they get hire. My US govt. never drug tests me just to get a job. I have dozens of friends in the federal govt. that smoke weed, They say "we can be drug tested but never actually get tested". So the govt. will dictate your life and freedoms that's the GOP message that we should be afraid of? I'm more worried about corporations taking my freedom to choose what I do on my own time. While the GOP creams over fear the government. corporations are becoming like the movie "Gaticca"

Back
Top Bottom