Federal Judge May Declare Classification As Schedule 1 Narcotic Unconstitutional

Jacob Redmond

Judge Kimberly J. Mueller of the Sacramento Division of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of California just made some comments in court that signal that she might be preparing to declare marijuana's classification as a Schedule 1 narcotic unconstitutional. According to Reuters, defense attorneys representing nine California men who are accused of illegally growing medical marijuana on federal land argued before Judge Mueller that the charges should be thrown out under the rationale that federal medical marijuana prohibition is unconstitutional.

In a hearing on Wednesday, Judge Mueller indicated that she is seriously considering the merits of the defense's position and said to prosecutors, "If I were persuaded by the defense's argument, if I bought their argument, what would you lose here?" At stake is whether or not the federal government has overstepped its bounds in declaring marijuana a Schedule 1 narcotic, which categorizes it as one of the deadliest drugs and as having no medical use.

The defendants in the criminal case are facing a $10 million fine, property seizure, and up to life in prison for what their lawyers characterized as an effort to cultivate medical marijuana for people in need of treatment. During the defense team's closing arguments on a motion to throw out the charges, defense attorney Zenia Gilg said, "It's impossible to say that there is no accepted medical use." The defense team also pointed out the facts that 23 US states have already legalized marijuana for medical use and that Congress recently voted to block the Department of Justice from interfering in state-level efforts to legalize medical pot.

Assistant US Attorney Gregory Broderick, a prosecutor in the case, argued that Congress, rather than a judge, should determine whether marijuana belongs on Schedule 1. However, he stopped short of arguing that it does, saying, "We're not saying that this is the most dangerous drug in the world. All we're saying is that the evidence is such that reasonable people could disagree." Meanwhile, he says the defendants should face punishment for growing medical pot on federal land as federal law still bans such activity. Despite the facts that the Constitution protects an individual's right to keep and bear arms and that many business owners rely on firearms to protect valuable merchandise, Broderick cited the men's status as firearms owners as evidence that their marijuana grow operation was not for medical use. He said, "They had weapons. These guys were not producing medicine."

The hearing included testimony by doctors as to whether marijuana is useful for medical purposes, which prompted Broderick to admit in comments cited by The Leaf Online, "If Congress heard all the testimony you have heard in this hearing, they may very well decide not to put marijuana in Schedule I." However, he stood firm in his argument that Judge Mueller lacked the authority to rule on the issue, which he said should fall in the hands of Congress instead.

The Leaf Online's Jeremy Daw wrote, "Judge Mueller, who has already scheduled nearly a week of court time to the hearing, did not give any indication of sympathy to [Broderick's] position," noting that she did appear to give some pause to the notion that "Broderick's argument that even if she could properly hear the case, the ultimate outcome is irrelevant" had "more credence."

Judge Mueller said that she would consider the motion to drop the charges and issue a written ruling within 30 days.

In September of last year, Ben Swann released an expose on the federal government's mixed messages on medical marijuana, as it holds the patent on medical cannabis while also declaring that it has no medical use. Watch it in the embedded video player, seen below.

19199.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Federal Judge May Declare Pot's Classification As Schedule 1 Narcotic Unconstitutional | Ben Swann Truth In Media
Author: Barry Donegan
Photo Credit: None Found

At any other time in history, her career would be reuined for such a ruling. However, the Green Revolution has begun and she would be, at the moment, on the right side of history.

The Mueller decision is a long time coming. I applaud her courage, no matter which way she rules. ONE WOMAN, ONE DECISION, TO CHANGE THE WORLD FOREVER.

How do you pass that up?

With 23 states backing her up, the Justice department current guidelines, 4 states having recreational use, The justice department statement that its okay for American Nationals to grow it on tribal lands. The only thing this us attorney has on them is weapons because you have to declare whether or not you use marijuana when you purchase a gun, he is trying make a federal case against them when that is clearly a defense for protecting property.

I hope she makes the call and finally creates precedent for millions of cases to be overturned and millions released from jail. This kind of case is a civil rights violation of liberties. I am tired of being scared of my government, I should have the right of liberty and peace on my property.

As a minority, I am more concerned about being killed by a cop than by an attack by any terrorist group.

I would never deny someone the right to bear arms. The statistics bear out, if someone has a gun in the house, she is more likely to die by a gun (any).

For cops and vice presidents, for haus fraus and for hause defense, GUNS invite DEATH.

Please provide your stats. I'll even look at ones from the Brady site. Guns doN't make you unsafe, it's just a tool. Same as a hammer. It's like saying if you drive a car you're more likely to get into an accident.

Just like dope doesn't make you stupid.

How did guns get brought into this btw?

Agreed with Jacob 100%

You want an argument to support Cannabis?

Water. Water kills more people a year than Cannabis. And no, I don't mean drownings. An actual water overdose.

#mindblown

It's called Dilutional Hyponatremia. Also known as water toxicity, or water poisoning.

I'll let you all just run wild with your own analogies on this, but you can say Cannabis is safer than water, and have actual proof to back it up.

And yes, there are MULTIPLE cases of death from dilutional hyponatremia. And not one death from a Cannabis overdose.

How did guns get brought into this btw?

The case is about cannabis and weapons, The US attorney says the supposed mmj operation was illegal partially because they had weapons. That is why guns are in this debate. I stated the reasons earlier but in general you have to check no "I do not use marijuana" on the Federal form to purchase the weapon. Since they had mmj and guns this makes it illegal and the US attorney is making it like they were some cartel because of it. I say they are just protecting the property and the business and The US attorney is abusing laws that infringe on their civil rights.

The main scope of the article is basically summarized in the first paragraph:

"According to Reuters, defense attorneys representing nine California men who are accused of illegally growing medical marijuana on federal land argued before Judge Mueller that the charges should be thrown out under the rationale that federal medical marijuana prohibition is unconstitutional."

As much as many will agree with your opinion, it loses focus on our specific mission, which is Cannabis awareness. Perhaps in the future when laws are changed a wider variety of topics will be allowed, but right now we're at a critical point in overturning these unjust laws, so lets keep plugging away to get these laws reformed throughout the entire world so everyone has access to the safest medicine known.

:Namaste:

The case is about cannabis and weapons, The US attorney says the supposed mmj operation was illegal partially because they had weapons. That is why guns are in this debate. I stated the reasons earlier but in general you have to check no "I do not use marijuana" on the Federal form to purchase the weapon. Since they had mmj and guns this makes it illegal and the US attorney is making it like they were some cartel because of it. I say they are just protecting the property and the business and The US attorney is abusing laws that infringe on their civil rights.

Ok, I understand now, that's cool thanks for the explanation, xtrchessreal. I guess it hit a nerve I tend to protect gun rights the same I do marijuana. Both are tools no matter how you look at it.

This country would be better served blaming or focusing critical attention on the person, not the tool.

Off my soap box....

Good day everyone ;)

Here's an alternative theory.

Everyone in her right mind knows that the Mueller Decision is the greatest risk to current drug policy and enforcement; and that there is a strong possibility she'll rule against the constitutonality of cannabis prohibition. This woud send a major shockwave through the nation and LE at every level. That can't be allowed to happen.

In step the three senators who just proposed an historic bill before the Senate that would in effect, pre-empt the Mueller decision and maintain the existing prohibition apparatus in place for what else? Selective enforcement. All coasts and the west get the freedom we're used to, the south gets to keep the slavery it's used to...Until that day that the south too, shall rise above and legalize.

The idea that justice is blind and that we have a court system that works is a dream in idealism. Everyone knows what the truth is but we allow ourselves to "look the other way" and reinforce our ideals and faith that a broken world still works. If you live within the law you live in bondage and no liberty. Our laws, at one time seemed to be the answer to kings and queens, keeping us free from tyranny but, alas we have come so far as to tie our own hands and place ourselves into a cage we cannot escape. We have brought tyranny upon ourselves by law. There is but one thing left...lawlessness. We need a reboot to clean the viruses that have slowed our processors down to the point that buying a new one seems better than fixing the old. The buying is being done, by law. What we are left with...?

Back
Top Bottom