Young Republicans Are Remarkably Liberal On Marijuana

Jacob Redmond

When it comes to marijuana, the majority of young Republicans are far closer to the Democratic view than they are to older members of their own party.

Pew poll data shows 63 percent of Millennial Republicans -- those born between 1981 and 1996 -- support legalized marijuana. That's a higher percentage than Generation X and Silent Generation Democrats.

Boomer Democrats still have young Republicans beat, and the gap of support between Boomer Democrats and Republicans is the largest of any age group at 28 points. Overall, Republicans are not supportive of legalization. As of October, only 31 percent of all Republicans supported it.

But it's a divisive topic if the applause during Thursday's pot debate at CPAC, an annual gathering of conservatives, is any indication. Former New Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson argued for its legalization, casting it as a safer alternative to alcohol; "Having a debate right now over whether or not to legalize marijuana is kind of like having a debate over whether the sun is going to come up tomorrow," Johnson said. On that same panel, Rep. Ann Marie Buerkle (N.Y.) said marijuana today is stronger and more dangerous than in the past.

Public opinion sides with Johnson, with steady increases in support for legalization for all age groups since 2005 (Sidenote: it's interesting to see the change in public opinion among Boomers. Support hovered around 40 percent in the '70s, but dropped during the "War on Drugs" '80s. Today, it's higher than ever). Millennials are far and away the most supportive, at 69 percent.

Alaska became the first red state to legalize marijuana in November, and it won't be the last. The way public opinion is trending, it looks to be only a matter of time before a majority of Republicans born in the last 50 years are pro-legalization.

12799.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Young Republicans are remarkably liberal on pot - The Washington Post
Author: Hunter Schwarz
Photo Credit: v2gods
Website: Washington Post: Breaking News, World, US, DC News & Analysis

If the older ones knew it would get them votes, they'd be in favor also.... that's really the only thing holding them back

"If the older ones"

I am one of the "older" voters that have been contacting the people in DC about the ridiculous way they have handled cannabis, so far. They need to think out of their tiny box, and figure out what they have been doing for fifty years is not working! We need to start treating, even those on more powerful drugs, like people with a medical problem. It needs to be taken out of hands of the private judicial system! It, also, needs to be taken out of the hands of criminals (drug dealers run it now) and the system replaced with one that has more availability of treatment. The punitive system has not reduced the addiction rate in this country. It has not decreased the availability of drugs! Kids can get cannabis easier, at their schools, than they can get alcohol or cigarettes!

Come on you guys in the legislative branch! You guys need to think out of the box!

If the older ones knew ...

Say what Sonny? Give me a break. For years there have been many Republicans supporting legalization. Maybe it is mostly the Libertarian faction within the party, but it has been there for years going back to the 60's. Work with these people and you will have better luck getting it legal in your area. Know your arguments and don't act like a stupid stoner.

I'm an older stupid stoner...... lost my thought----

Say what Sonny? Give me a break. For years there have been many Republicans supporting legalization. Maybe it is mostly the Libertarian faction within the party, but it has been there for years going back to the 60's. Work with these people and you will have better luck getting it legal in your area. Know your arguments and don't act like a stupid stoner.

Well, it is legal where I'm at, for medicinal purposes, and I'm a card carrier.

And I'm referring older politicians, not the voters, which I think you think I'm referring to. Anyway, I refuse to, work with them as you say, pops, because at one point in my life I did work for a republican politician. And, in my position I was very close to that person and everything that happened around him. Close, like I can't explain.

And the things I learned being behind the scenes, is why I have my opinions.

Just to be clear, I did not mean older voters.

I meant older politicians. Politicians will do anything for a vote, on either side of the aisle.

My apologies if you misunderstood.

And, if your an older republican politician,, well, the truth hurts, doesn't it?

After reading the article, and my comments again, I can see where I might not have been clear with my target. I appreciate you folks pointing that out so I could correct that.

No offense,, unless you're a politician.

My comments are related to what A politician will do for a vote.

Oh yeah......Sonny? Give you a break? don't act like a STUPID stoner? Give US a break....pot is illegal BECAUSE of repubicans and you know it!!! "...there have been MANY re..." blah, blah, blah. A very small % and you know it....again. What's your point? That a damn few repubics are on the right side of ANYTHING? I agree with you totally.:thumb::thanks::goodjob:

Maybe young Republican stoners (stupid or not) will not get us into so many wars. After all, McCain can't live forever!:volcano-smiley:

I agree. Insults are no good. I'm sorry for calling Repubs "Repubics".

P.S. Dems v. Repubs v. young Repubs (on support of legalization) is the TOPIC of your article pointing out their differences (v.).

:Namaste:

I agree. Insults are no good. I'm sorry for calling Repubs "Repubics".

P.S. Dems v. Repubs v. young Repubs (on support of legalization) is the TOPIC of your article pointing out their differences (v.).

:Namaste:

Statistics are fine. Debating is fine. Calling each other "stupid" as well as using "sonny" in a derogatory way are not. I'm not referring to you in particular either. Everybody should see this as a positive. Remember that the two-party system is meant to divide us. Also, remember that we all have the same mission (Spreading cannabis awareness until all of our brothers and sisters are no longer persecuted).

Back
Top Bottom