Illinois: Bill Treating Marijuana Possession Like Speeding Ticket Passes Senate

Jacob Redmond

A bill treating low-level marijuana possession like a speeding ticket passed the Illinois Senate on Thursday and is en route to Gov. Bruce Rauner's office.

Rep. Kelly Cassidy, D-Chicago, is the brainchild of House Bill 218 that punishes possession of up to 15 grams — or a half-ounce — of marijuana with a fine of up to $125. Offenders would have their records expunged after six months and procedures for marijuana-related driving under the influence charges would be put in place.

Sen. Mike Noland, an Elgin Democrat and the sponsor of the bill, said the measure does not decriminalize marijuana. Instead, it helps police use resources wisely.

"I'm really looking forward to taking the $29 million we're going to save prosecuting these cases and putting it toward drug treatment for harder drugs," Noland said.

Municipalities would be allowed to impose a higher fine than the state maximum.

The bill passed by a 37-19 vote.

Republican senators generally opposed the bill saying it was soft on crime and one step away from legalization.

"Clearly if you come back three, four, five, six, seven times, maybe you've got a problem," Sen. Chapin Rose, R-Mahomet, said. "Maybe you could use some drug treatment, but that's not in here."

Sen. John Sullivan, D-Rushville, said he voted "no" on the bill, unlike much of his party, because he sees it as a step toward legalization.

"It's about how far we're going down the road to legalizing," he said. "I did support the medical cannabis when it first passed and also the PTSD for veterans, but I just think this is a bigger leap and a big step, and I can't see any good coming from it."

Four Republicans, including Sen. Jason Barickman of Bloomington, voted in favor of the bill.

"As you travel the state and listen to the people of this state, the people of Illinois have continually told me that they want their government to give them more freedom over their decisions, especially those decisions which aren't having an impact on others," he said.

Gov. Bruce Rauner formed a task force in February to find ways to reduce Illinois' prison population by 25 percent. Cassidy said this bill falls in line with the governor's goals.

"The governor will carefully consider any legislation that crosses his desk," Rauner spokeswoman Catherine Kelly said.

Police groups took issue with the DUI codes in the bill, which allows for 15 nanograms of marijuana in the blood. Noland said 15 nanograms is comparable to the .08 level the state uses to determine if someone is drunk on alcohol.

The bill passed the House with bipartisan support by a 62-53 vote - nine votes short of a veto-proof majority. The Senate is holding Noland's bill while cleanup language passes the House.

14483.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Bill treating marijuana possession like speeding ticket passes Senate, goes to Illinois governor
Author: Seth A. Richardson
Photo Credit: None Found

Back
Top Bottom