Pennsylvania: A Father Speaks Out, Lawmakers Need To Legalize Medical Marijuana

Jacob Redmond

The following was written as an open letter to state House Health Committee Chairman Matt Baker, R-Bradford.

I appreciate your ongoing efforts to protect Pennsylvanians from prescription drug addiction. My 12-year-old daughter, Anna, is addicted to several very dangerous prescription drugs. On her worst days, we give her a cocktail of two types of benzodiazepines.

These drugs take away her ability to eat, drink, and speak. Her physician has told us that withdrawals would be so severe that it would take more than a year to withdraw even one of these medications.

Sadly, we can't even try to withdraw them, because without them, she likely would die from her life-threatening seizure disorder.

We have had a front row seat to the nightmare of watching these prescription drugs steal away Anna's personality and quality of life. A family friend noted that these drugs have reduced Anna to a "shell of her former self." We would do anything to help her shake this addiction.

Anna's board-certified neurologist believes that the only way to safely attempt a withdrawal would be to replace the benzodiazepines with cannabis.

He dictated into her medical records that "it is reasonable for her to receive a trial on this substance," and that he "does not see any contraindications." Further, he dictated, "We discussed medical cannabis and possible dosing.

We also discussed the merits of using this versus continuing the current state. In my opinion, I do not think the medical cannabis will have a negative impact...Certainly, I would be supportive of you trying this."

Conversely, he has had to warn us of the staggering risks associated with her pharmaceuticals, including speech loss, sedation, violent behavior, suicidal thoughts, and death.

As a parent, it's very hard to tell your daughter to open wide so you can give her a drug that might kill her, and then tell her she's a good girl for taking it.

If I could meet with you in person, I would ask you to consider the following:

• Anna's neurologist believes that this treatment is her only remaining option, so he advocated for Wellspan to invest time and money to begin an FDA trial of a cannabis oil called Epidiolex. Anna became Patient 001 in Phase Two of this nationwide investigational drug trial, but she was dropped from the study before receiving the drug. Even though it may have helped her, she was excluded because she didn't fit the cookie cutter mold needed for the study. That could cost us her life, given that her doctor has told us that her condition puts her at very high risk for sudden death and she is too fragile to safely move to Colorado.

• Only 65 kids nationwide will be selected for Phase Two of this study. All others will be shut out as they fight to survive another day. It will take years to get this drug FDA approved, and then the DEA will have to approve it through a regulatory process some drug companies have described as a "black hole."

• Aspirin is not FDA approved, but it is not prohibited. There are many safe, effective drugs that are not FDA approved. Cannabis was on the U.S. Pharmacopeia beginning in 1851. It was removed from the Pharmacoepia in 1941, despite the objections of Dr. William C. Woodward who testified on behalf of the American Medical Association. He stated that removing cannabis from the Pharmacoepia would deny the American people a substance of significant medical benefit.
Chairman Baker, we are not asking the legislature to play doctor. We are respectfully asking you to allow physicians to decide which treatments will be safest and most effective.

Thank you for allowing the democratic process to proceed as physicians like Anna's neurologist eagerly await the opportunity to prescribe this potentially life-saving treatment to patients who have the right to life.

14504.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Author: Web Staff/Mark H. Knecht
Photo Credit: None Found
Website: Central PA Local News, Breaking News, Sports & Weather - PennLive.com

Back
Top Bottom